Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Accessible places to golf in Ireland and Scotland

I'm planning a family trip to Ireland and Scotland next summer (fingers crossed). There are a few of us who would like to get some golfing in. I know we're not going to play the Old Course or Carnoustie, but I'd like to find realistic options where we can play a good course or two and not use the entire trip budget on green fees. We'll be starting in Edinburgh, going through and making our way as far south as Cork once we get to Ireland, so geography is not an obstacle. Anyone who has made the trip and can share recommendations would be a huge help.

Edited by GeeISuppose

Driver: TaylorMade M1 8.5° Matrix Ozik MFS X5 Stiff RH

Hybrids: TaylorMade Rescue 11 3-18° & 4-21° Aldila Rip 65 Stiff RH

Irons: PING G25 4-PW Black Dot CFS Stiff RH

Wedges: PING G25 GW & SW Black Dot TFC 189 Stiff RH, PING Gorge 60° Black Dot TFC 189 Stiff RH

Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7 RH

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X

8 hours ago, GeeISuppose said:

I'm planning a family trip to Ireland and Scotland next summer (fingers crossed). There are a few of us who would like to get some golfing in. I know we're not going to play the Old Course or Carnoustie, but I'd like to find realistic options where we can play a good course or two and not use the entire trip budget on green fees. We'll be starting in Edinburgh, going through and making our way as far south as Cork once we get to Ireland, so geography is not an obstacle. Anyone who has made the trip and can share recommendations would be a huge help.

Having made a trip to Scotland with two other couples in 2009, I would suggest you purchase Allan Ferguson's book which is a guide to golfing in Scotland. I believe he also has a lot of information regarding Ireland too.

Allan helped us book and schedule our trip, but you can do it yourself by using his website and book.

http://fergusongolf.com/

http://fergusongolf.com/pages/book.htm

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

9 hours ago, GeeISuppose said:

We did a family vacation a few years ago to Ireland and Scotland. The BIL and I played the Jubilee Course and it was an amazing experience. While the Old Course can be expensive to play don’t discount the other courses at St. Andrews. We were still able to see the views and being in the clubhouse/locker room was worth the price of admission by itself! Lol

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Edinburgh is about 1.5hours from St Andrews and 1 hour from East Lothian (Golf Coast/Muirfield). There are loads of courses that cater for all budgets,

Even if you don't play the Old Course I would recommend going to St Andrews the town is steeped in history with bars full of golfing memorabilia. St Andrews Links has a wide selection of courses.

https://www.standrews.com/play/green-fees-2021

All the Links Trust course are maintained to the same level and in similar condition. The New Course runs right alongside the Old Course and then the Jubilee is on the coast, The Castle is not one of my favourites with very challenging greens but great views, if your budgeting then Eden or even Strathtyrum are still a good knock and enjoyable Balgove is really just a Junior 9 hole course. If you have non-golfers their  is also a putting course called the Himalayas which is good fun and again right next to the Old Course. The other so called "St Andrews" courses are The Dukes which is inland but still has a links feel with gorse and the 2 Fairmont course south of the town The Kittocks and The Torrance which you normally get a good deal on Golf Now circa £65/pp c.f. advertised £120, personally I would play them at £65 but maybe not at £120. Of the 2 The IMO The Kittocks is the better and more scenic.

There are also loads of less well known courses within 30 minutes of St Andrews that are all worth a visit.

In East Lothian the links course stretch all the way from Longniddry to Dunbar and again are all normally in good condition but some you won't get on, in no particular order.

• Longniddry ££
  • Craigielaw ££
  • Kilspindie £££
  • Luffness
  • Gullane No1 ££££
  • Gullane No2 £££
  • Gullane No3 ££
  • Muirfield  £££££
  • Renaissance £££££
  • Archerfield £££££ 
  • North Berwick £££££
  • The Glen £££
  • Winterfield ££
  • Dunbar ££££

I've tried to indicate costs with pound signs but doing if from memory.

If you are travelling to the West of Scotland and Ayrshire than I can give you a similar list.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did end up booking tickets for June. They cost a lot more than we budgeted for, so I won't be playing at all over there. I'll hopefully be sating my golf needs by volunteering at the Irish Open instead.

Wedges: PING G25 GW & SW Black Dot TFC 189 Stiff RH, PING Gorge 60° Black Dot TFC 189 Stiff RH

I'll definitely check it out, thanks! And I imagine we'll be back plenty in the future, but I won't pass up an opportunity if it presents itself.

• 7 months later...
On 7/21/2021 at 6:37 PM, Alf. S said:

Edinburgh is about 1.5hours from St Andrews and 1 hour from East Lothian (Golf Coast/Muirfield). There are loads of courses that cater for all budgets,

Even if you don't play the Old Course I would recommend going to St Andrews the town is steeped in history with bars full of golfing memorabilia. St Andrews Links has a wide selection of courses.

https://www.standrews.com/play/green-fees-2021

All the Links Trust course are maintained to the same level and in similar condition. The New Course runs right alongside the Old Course and then the Jubilee is on the coast, The Castle is not one of my favourites with very challenging greens but great views, if your budgeting then Eden or even Strathtyrum are still a good knock and enjoyable Balgove is really just a Junior 9 hole course. If you have non-golfers their  is also a putting course called the Himalayas which is good fun and again right next to the Old Course. The other so called "St Andrews" courses are The Dukes which is inland but still has a links feel with gorse and the 2 Fairmont course south of the town The Kittocks and The Torrance which you normally get a good deal on Golf Now circa £65/pp c.f. advertised £120, personally I would play them at £65 but maybe not at £120. Of the 2 The IMO The Kittocks is the better and more scenic.

There are also loads of less well known courses within 30 minutes of St Andrews that are all worth a visit.

In East Lothian the links course stretch all the way from Longniddry to Dunbar and again are all normally in good condition but some you won't get on, in no particular order.

• Longniddry ££
  • Craigielaw ££
  • Kilspindie £££
  • Luffness
  • Gullane No1 ££££
  • Gullane No2 £££
  • Gullane No3 ££
  • Muirfield  £££££
  • Renaissance £££££
  • Archerfield £££££ 
  • North Berwick £££££
  • The Glen £££
  • Winterfield ££
  • Dunbar ££££

I've tried to indicate costs with pound signs but doing if from memory.

If you are travelling to the West of Scotland and Ayrshire than I can give you a similar list.

Hi Mate,

I'm planning on heading over this Summer June/July, What are the chances as a single getting onto North Berwick or St Andrews old? 

Thanks

Swing smooth

On 7/20/2021 at 10:52 PM, GeeISuppose said:

I'm planning a family trip to Ireland and Scotland next summer (fingers crossed). There are a few of us who would like to get some golfing in. I know we're not going to play the Old Course or Carnoustie, but I'd like to find realistic options where we can play geometry dash lite a good course or two and not use the entire trip budget on green fees. We'll be starting in Edinburgh, going through and making our way as far south as Cork once we get to Ireland, so geography is not an obstacle. Anyone who has made the trip and can share recommendations would be a huge help.

Here are a few ideas for places to play in Scotland and Ireland that might fit your budget and interests:

In Scotland:

The Glasgow Gailes Golf Club in Irvine is a parkland course with a long history. It has hosted several professional tournaments and is generally well-regarded by golfers. Green fees start at around £60-£70.

The Dunbar Golf Club in East Lothian is another highly-rated course that's open to visitors. Green fees start at around £60.

The Scoonie Golf Club in Leven is a links course that's a bit more affordable, with green fees starting at around £35.

In Ireland:

The Old Head Golf Links in Kinsale is a spectacular course that's built on a peninsula jutting out into the Atlantic Ocean. It's a bit pricier, with green fees starting at around €200, but it's definitely worth considering if you're willing to splurge a bit.

The Lahinch Golf Club in County Clare is another well-regarded course in Ireland. It's a links course that has hosted several professional tournaments and is open to visitors. Green fees start at around €100.

The Westport Golf Club in County Mayo is a parkland course that's a bit more affordable, with green fees starting at around €40.

Edited by Tins1994
17 hours ago, Omnitrader said:

Hi Mate,

I'm planning on heading over this Summer June/July, What are the chances as a single getting onto North Berwick or St Andrews old? 

Thanks

At the Old Course, singles queue up near the starter's house every morning (very early mornings, from what I read), and many get added in to existing groups.  I don't know the procedure at North Berwick.  On the other hand, you can almost certainly play the New or Jubilee in St Andrews and experience the same conditions.  Similarly, you can play at Gullane or Dunbar in the East Lothian area and have a brilliant time.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia