Jump to content

Recoil users/owners opinions needed


JDHolmes
 Share

Recommended Posts

Had time today and a $30 reward to spend at GG so I went to play a bit. I wanted to hit a few different shafts thinking of replacing the PX LZ shafts in my Ping i210 irons. Long story short, I ended up with a Cobra MB head and a Recoil 460 ESX F3 shaft. Best combo I ever remember hitting. Everything straight, consistent, and ok distance 155ish. (105)

My question is how does the shafts feel vary through the set. In reading about them, it appears they are only parallel and it was said the weight varies through the set and thus feel.  How are you/do you cope with the weight difference when moving to these from steel? These are quite light. I would hate to drop $1600 for a set then hate the variance through the set due to shaft differences.

Any other comments are appreciated concerning your experience with these shafts (or other models of recoils)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Recoil 460 ESX F3 shaft comes either parallel or taper.  The tapers are constant weight.  Your Pings are taper and I believe the Cobra MB is also.  Not sure where you saw that the shafts are only parallel.

I have those same shafts in my Mizuno MP-20 HMB irons, and it's taking me quite awhile to get used to the light weight even coming from lightweight steel shafts in my Bridgestones.  However, I'm working with them every day.  At my age I need all the help I can get!!

  • Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JDHolmes said:

Had time today and a $30 reward to spend at GG so I went to play a bit. I wanted to hit a few different shafts thinking of replacing the PX LZ shafts in my Ping i210 irons. Long story short, I ended up with a Cobra MB head and a Recoil 460 ESX F3 shaft. Best combo I ever remember hitting. Everything straight, consistent, and ok distance 155ish. (105)

My question is how does the shafts feel vary through the set. In reading about them, it appears they are only parallel and it was said the weight varies through the set and thus feel.  How are you/do you cope with the weight difference when moving to these from steel? These are quite light. I would hate to drop $1600 for a set then hate the variance through the set due to shaft differences.

Any other comments are appreciated concerning your experience with these shafts (or other models of recoils)

 

The recoils you hit have a stiffer bit and tip so that will match the px lz a bit because they have a soft middle. You are dropping at least 46g if you have the 5.5 in the Px. 
 

that is could have an impact on feel especially changing head types 

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The Recoil 460 ESX F3 shaft comes either parallel or taper.  The tapers are constant weight.  Your Pings are taper and I believe the Cobra MB is also.  Not sure where you saw that the shafts are only parallel.

I have those same shafts in my Mizuno MP-20 HMB irons, and it's taking me quite awhile to get used to the light weight even coming from lightweight steel shafts in my Bridgestones.  However, I'm working with them every day.  At my age I need all the help I can get!!

Taper is available upon request so any stock order is going to default to parallel

  • Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have had several iron sets with Recoil shafts. Hogan Ptx with 660, Cobra F8 with 460 and Wilson D-7 with 460 EX.

 

Quite honestly I can’t feel any difference between the shafts.  I switched to graphite in 2000 after I shattered my left wrist in an ice skating accident.  They said the graphite would absorb more shock than steel.

  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

I have had several iron sets with Recoil shafts. Hogan Ptx with 660, Cobra F8 with 460 and Wilson D-7 with 460 EX.

 

Quite honestly I can’t feel any difference between the shafts.  I switched to graphite in 2000 after I shattered my left wrist in an ice skating accident.  They said the graphite would absorb more shock than steel.

That make sense because there’s less than a 10g difference between the 660 and 460 and the 460 ex iirc just added some stability to the 460 with some added stiffness in the tip and butt

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I took a set of irons I had built earlier this year to the range this morning to see if I could replicate the experience. They have 70g kuro kage graphite shafts in them so very similar weight to the recoils (though obviously not the same shafts). Not even close.

Consequently, it may be more about the mb head than the shaft though as mentiined, the soft mid of the recoil is similar to the LZ's. I will have to do some more experimentation with the mb head and other shafts.

Mb's are "supposed" to be harder tk hit, but they seem to fit my preference for thinner soles as I canNOT hit clubs with this soles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JDHolmes said:

I took a set of irons I had built earlier this year to the range this morning to see if I could replicate the experience. They have 70g kuro kage graphite shafts in them so very similar weight to the recoils (though obviously not the same shafts). Not even close.

Consequently, it may be more about the mb head than the shaft though as mentiined, the soft mid of the recoil is similar to the LZ's. I will have to do some more experimentation with the mb head and other shafts.

Mb's are "supposed" to be harder tk hit, but they seem to fit my preference for thinner soles as I canNOT hit clubs with this soles.

I think many people use the term/ easy or hard to hit to describe how penal a mishit is with different club head styles.

Granted have depending on the setup a golfer may have to work harder or not as hard to control the club which will impact the ability to put the sweet spot on the ball. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I switched from steel to graphite due to age, late 60’s.  I tried the recoil quite by accident while testing Mizuno irons.  I love them and now have them in the Mizzies and Ping G710’s.

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I switched from steel to graphite due to age, late 60’s.  I tried the recoil quite by accident while testing Mizuno irons.  I love them and now have them in the Mizzies and Ping G710’s.

Same here - I've got 460's in my Cobra irons. Went from KBS 90's and won't go back. 

  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...