TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lessons and Club Fitting Timing

Hey everyone!

I'm still pretty new to the forums here, but I've been reading them for ages.  Last year around September, I started a new journey in my golf game taking my first ever lesson after playing for roughly 15 years on and off.  Fortunately, since I live in Texas, I get to golf year round so I started to get pretty serious into my game around the same time.  My average score on 18 at my local club at the time was about a 110 (68.1/116 from my tees).  I was doing the classic improvement strategy of watching youtube videos and just trying to implement that on the range.  That's when the new instructor at my local club saw me and offered me a free lesson (a fear all of us hackers have...).  Well after one lesson he got me hooked!  I've been able to do a lesson about every two months since then at this point.

Thanks to these lessons and targeted stat tracking of my own game, I was able to go out and shoot an 86 just the other week!  I have a bonus coming in at work, and I've decided I'm going to use it to get fit for a full set of clubs.  However, I'm not sure what the best time to do this is.  I know that getting fit at any point is good for your game, but my coach and I are still working on swing path, on irons especially, as well as face angle through impact on all clubs (I used to come over the top so I got a habit of holding off on rotating this to compensate for that movement).

Should I wait a few months as I keep going through major swing changes (path specifically) until I get to a more steady state?  My current Driver, 3W, 3-P are all 10+ years old right now, but they were a nice set at the time (albeit well beyond my skill level when I bought them...).  I just got new wedges at Christmas last year, and I don't currently plan on replacing those (RTX Zipcore) or my putty any time soon as I've been playing great with them.

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips you can give!  Also interested in hearing anyone's experiences with club fitting at a higher handicap, especially while going through swing changes.

:nike-small: VRS Covert, 10.5*, Mitsubishi Rayon 50G S
:nike-small:VRS Covert 3-Wood, Mitsubishi Rayon 60G S
:nike-small: 3-PW VR Pro Combo Irons, True Temper S300
:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 52*, 56*, 60* (10* bounce on all), True Temper Spinner Tour Issue
:nike-small: Method Origin B2-01
:Snell: MTB-X

I'm in a similar  boat as I've come back to golf after many years away and never really playing regularly.

I've not had any lessons yet but they are something I will be doing asap. My plan is to play through the summer and get a feel for what my swing is (it's feeling pretty consistent now), have a few lessons to make sure I'm going in the right direction then I'm planning on getting a fitting booked in. 

Problem for me is I'm playing MP32's and they are so good when you get it right...

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Talk to your instructor and get his input but in general your swing changes aren’t going to significantly change your specs for what you get fit to especially length and the shaft. Your lie angle may change 1-2* but that’s something any repair shop can do for cheap

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

18 hours ago, DStar said:

I'm in a similar  boat as I've come back to golf after many years away and never really playing regularly.

I've not had any lessons yet but they are something I will be doing asap. My plan is to play through the summer and get a feel for what my swing is (it's feeling pretty consistent now), have a few lessons to make sure I'm going in the right direction then I'm planning on getting a fitting booked in. 

Problem for me is I'm playing MP32's and they are so good when you get it right...

Yeah my combo irons are blades in 8-PW and they are just so pure when you get it just right.  I'm just happy to be trending in the direction where I get them just right much more often now.  I feel like if I go with forged irons still, I can keep the great feels of the perfect strikes while also getting some help with how far the technology in clubs has come in the last 10 years.

Glad you're back into golf!  Welcome back!

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 52*, 56*, 60* (10* bounce on all), True Temper Spinner Tour Issue

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Talk to your instructor and get his input but in general your swing changes aren’t going to significantly change your specs for what you get fit to especially length and the shaft. Your lie angle may change 1-2* but that’s something any repair shop can do for cheap

Thanks for the input!  I've never been fit for clubs before, so I never really knew how in depth it goes into how your swing is delivered.  I've only read the experiences people have posted on here and on other articles/reviews. 

I will talk with him specifically about my swing at my lesson on Saturday.  Honestly can't believe I didn't just think to do this to start... haha. 

9 hours ago, mastermezz said:

Thanks for the input!  I've never been fit for clubs before, so I never really knew how in depth it goes into how your swing is delivered.  I've only read the experiences people have posted on here and on other articles/reviews. 

I will talk with him specifically about my swing at my lesson on Saturday.  Honestly can't believe I didn't just think to do this to start... haha. 

A good fitter will look at ones swing and ball flight along with numbers on a launch monitor to see how the club is delivered and the resulting ball flight. I’ve had several fittings where used the launch monitor as a confirmation of what he saw in ball flight and feedback from me on what I thought about the swing and contact.

While someone who is working on their swing may see some changes in attack angle that may or may not impact their lie angle things like length of club will rarely change. There may be a change in flex or shaft profile used but that’s not as common either. In the last 15 years after taking several lessons and getting from a high hdcp to single digits I’m still stock length in ping, mizuno, titleist and Taylormade irons. I’m still 1-2* flat depending on where the manufacturer is in comparison to Mizuno lie angle. Shaft wise PX 6.0, dynamic golf s300 in both 120 and 130g shafts ad also Nippon modus 120

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1