Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Model and Configuration Questions

Hi All, I have two questions I'd like to ask the community and see if I can get some semi-helpful feedback (I recognize answering these questions without ever seeing a swing can be iffy).

1) For my brother:  He recently made the decision to upgrade his Driver to the new Titleist TS line, and purchased a TS2 preowned from a local golf retailer.  He was told (I think wrongly--and possibly by as salesperson just desperate to make the sale) that the TS2 was the right driver for bringing ball flight down for someone who already hits a ball a bit too high.  He is about 105-108 "playing swing speed" and hits a pretty straight ball, typical shape is a slight fade (or it possibly is just a small push) and his problem shot is a hook.  He hits the ball higher than is ideal and backspin is about 3500 rpm.  In relatively "supple conditions" (not too wet and not hard as concrete dry) he will only get about 10-15 yards of roll on about 260 carry.  He has the 9.5* head set at 8.75* and has the Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue S 67g shaft.

Can anyone weigh in on what model head is best for lower spin/launch but not a "Pro" or great player driver, and what loft/settings would be best with that head, and maybe what he can do in the interim to improve results with the TS2...

2) For myself:  I have the TaylorMade M5 9*, set at 9* and have it paired with the Ventus Blue Stiff Velocore  Shaft.  I really like what the Velocore has done to tighten the dispersion I'm seeing with regard to both centerline and launch angle, although both could obviously get better 😉 .  My typical shape is a slight draw, and my misses are a 15 yard block and an overcooked "quick" hook.  My ball is slightly lower launching than his but the launch monitor at the store says my spin is also about 3500, and my roll is also less-than-ideal--about 15-20 yards with a typical carry of about 270.

Can anyone weigh in on how I would best benefit from setting up my M5 with regard to loft and configuring the slide weights?  I currently have one set just shy of "full fade" and the other about halfway between front and back.

THANKS SO MUCH!

TaylorMade M5 9* with Ventus Blue Velocore Shaft

TaylorMade M6 15* 3 wood

TaylorMade Sim Max 19*

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons 4-GW, 1.5* Upright

Mizuno T7 58* TT Wedge Flex Shaft

Mizuno MP T 53* TT Wedge Flex Shaft

Odyssey White Hot PRO 2.0, Black Rossie

Rapidly Dropping Handicap (Was a 2.8 in 2011, got addicted to the power I had (122 mph Driver) and blew my game up with crazy slices.  Fought it for a while and decided to put the clubs "in the closet" for a while.  Ended up playing only 2-3 times per year until 2017.  Started playing 2-3 times per month until March of this year--decided to make a decision: Take a set of lessons and make a choice; Either see moderate improvement, or sell my clubs and just quit the game altogether.  Thankfully, a good coach was able to see some of the CRAP that had gotten into my swing and gotten me quickly back on track.  Hadn't broken 90 in about 4 years, shot a 77 a few weeks back, and haven't shot over 84 since April!

I mean this in the most sincere way possible: no driver is going to bring 3500 spin down to a playable number (mid 2000s). Your brother switching to a TS3 might bring down spin 200rpms and launch down a half a degree, but that’s about it. 

M5 is already a low spinning head for you.

The best hope is a few lessons for both of you. Make sure the angle of attack is positive and the strike location is higher on the face. That’s the key to dropping as much spin as you both need to drop

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I mean this in the most sincere way possible: no driver is going to bring 3500 spin down to a playable number (mid 2000s). Your brother switching to a TS3 might bring down spin 200rpms and launch down a half a degree, but that’s about it. 

The best hope is a few lessons for both of you. Make sure the angle of attack is positive and the strike location is higher on the face. That’s the key to dropping as much spin as you both need to drop

Since the like button can only be used once I’m replying to add x1000.

As much information that is out there this question comes up way too often

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I say the above as someone who used to spin it at 3600 and now spin it around 2200. I tried every driver head and shaft combination possible to magically lower my spin and raise my launch. Wasn’t until I got lessons and made a swing change that I got where I needed..

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

I say the above as someone who used to spin it at 3600 and now spin it around 2200. I tried every driver head and shaft combination possible to magically lower my spin and raise my launch. Wasn’t until I got lessons and made a swing change that I got where I needed..

As someone battling that a bit now I agree that only delivery will help hitting those high spinning balls.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

I'll just say that I 100% agree with everyone above.

If I were to hazard a guess based on the info provided, your brother is possibly flipping through impact which adds loft and spin. Only way to fix that is by changing the swing. I've been there and experienced it first hand.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

A low spin ball and a higher tee height might help knock the spin down a tick. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H