Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Morikawa’s Interesting equipment tweaks

revkev

I’m sure many are aware that Colin Morikawa made some equipment changes for the Open.

I actually think that this is a time where there’s something to learn for us. Because the turf was so fast and firm he went with short irons that had less bounce than normal and likewise he had an extremely low bounce 60 in the bag.

I’ve often tailored my bag to the course or conditions that I normally play. At times I’ve even had a club or two that might switch in or out.  Included in that scenario were wedges with more or less bounce.

How about you, have you done this and if so why?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My wedge setup is based on being able to play in multiple conditions but from the fairway as well as bunkers.

I haven’t seen any issues in iron play between various geographical regions and in wet or hard conditions 

I used to swap a wood for a driving iron when playing courses that had shorter par 4s or the layout of them had the longer shot a more riskier one. Haven’t done that in a while 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

He also changed the weight of his putter because the greens were slower 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, revkev said:

He also changed the weight of his putter because the greens were slower 

And his grip!  Used two different grips.  The Saw for short putts and conventional grip for longer putts…over 20 feet!

heard a great interview with his caddie JJ this week about all the changes.  Said if only took him 30 swings with the irons to feel confident in them. 

Pretty Amazing 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

7 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

And his grip!  Used two different grips.  The Saw for short putts and conventional grip for longer putts…over 20 feet!

heard a great interview with his caddie JJ this week about all the changes.  Said if only took him 30 swings with the irons to feel confident in them. 

Pretty Amazing 

I think this is one of the instances where we could learn from a touring pro.

I’m not suggesting that we have two sets of irons with differing counted soles and switch them out because it hasn’t rained in a week.  I do think though we should carefully consider the type of conditions that we normally play in, the kind of shots that we regularly play or would like to play and then find equipment suited to our swing types in those course conditions.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I've done a few of these things short of changing my irons which is really interesting he took that step. 

I used to putt cross handed on under 10' and regular overlap on over 10'.  I did this for many years.  After some changes last year I am double overlap on all putts.  I may try this again in the future.  

I have added layers of lead tape on my putter when normally playing courses with slower greens.  This year using the Fetch, its a heavier putter so no lead tape, but I always use a lighter putter when practicing in the back yard because my fake turf is so much faster than the course.  

I have swapped out hybrid / 3i on occasion because of windy conditions.  I can't flight a hybrid low so sometimes I need the 3i.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I’m not suggesting that we have two sets of irons with differing counted soles and switch them out because it hasn’t rained in a week.  I do think though we should carefully consider the type of conditions that we normally play in, the kind of shots that we regularly play or would like to play and then find equipment suited to our swing types in those course conditions.

I believe I have all conditions covered 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

18 hours ago, revkev said:

I’m sure many are aware that Colin Morikawa made some equipment changes for the Open.

I actually think that this is a time where there’s something to learn for us. Because the turf was so fast and firm he went with short irons that had less bounce than normal and likewise he had an extremely low bounce 60 in the bag.

I’ve often tailored my bag to the course or conditions that I normally play. At times I’ve even had a club or two that might switch in or out.  Included in that scenario were wedges with more or less bounce.

Have to agree, when I lived in CT my wedges were high bounce after moving to FL I’ve switched out all wedges to as low a bounce as I can get. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I have 8 or 9 wedges between 48 degrees and 64 degrees. They have varying bounce angles and sole widths. Over the course of a year, the courses I play will vary from very hard and fast to very soft. Sometimes the rough is thick, sometimes it’s non- existent. I don’t consider myself a great wedge player but picking wedges based on conditions does save me strokes. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 7/21/2021 at 12:24 PM, revkev said:

I do have two lob wedges.  They're both RTX4 58° wedges.  One has 9° bounce and the other has 3°.  I love the 3° bounce in most conditions, but when it's really wet, the 9° is far better.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

16 minutes ago, seeking70's said:

I do have two lob wedges.  They're both RTX4 58° wedges.  One has 9° bounce and the other has 3°.  I love the 3° bounce in most conditions, but when it's really wet, the 9° is far better.

Definitely interesting and makes sense 👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Here in central VA, we have three different conditions:

• Wet
  • Really wet
  • Raining

My 50 and 58 have fairly low bounce, and they're not much good for short shots unless it's unusually dry.  My next set of wedges will likely have more bounce, especially the 58.

In high school, I used to have an old Ping Anser that was ridiculously light, and I'd use that on really fast greens.  My normal gamer was a Ping B61 with some lead tape to get the weight up.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

My clubs are what seem to work for me so I guess they were selected to match the conditions I normally play.    I don't swap clubs out based on conditions.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 7/22/2021 at 8:05 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I believe I have all conditions covered 😎

The Korn Ferry guy we played with on Sunday looked at my one friends driver, some sort of Nike because his M4 broke and he’s waiting for the Sub 70 to come out, and said - grab a bottle of scotch and come to my place after the round, I have a driver for you.

The pro has a swing speed north of 120 and ball speeds in the 180’, we just laughed. Got to his house and the garage was full of drivers - more than you’d find at a Dick’s. He collects them - he handed him 2 M4’s one with what he called a strong R and the other with a stock S shaft of some type.

I thought we had arrived at your place Cg2. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Sounds like a good guy to know!

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Personally I have a 3 iron and a 5 wood that i swap based off of the course and the conditions. If we're playing about 7,100+ yards I won't usually be hitting any 3 irons off the tee unless it's a really firm course so I'll use 5 wood. Anything less than that and I'm usually hitting 3 irons off the tee 2-3 times a round. Or if it's windy I'll go 3 iron.

I have a high bounce 60 degree that I pretty much never use

Driver: Titleist TS3

3 Wood: Taylormade M3

5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2

3 Iron: Callaway X Forged Utility Iron

4i-Pw: Honma TW747v

49/54/60 Wedges: Titleist SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

Ball: Bridgestone B X

On 7/22/2021 at 4:22 AM, revkev said:

Another great thing to learn is that the best iron player on the planet doesn’t use blades. Neither should you. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

15 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Another great thing to learn is that the best iron player on the planet doesn’t use blades. Neither should you. 

No argument there from me but that's a different topic. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think his changes are notable but they it isn't realistic or even possible to change out irons for the average golfer. I think changing to a lower bounce wedge for a course with tight lies can be done for average golfers. The other changes I see as possible is changing out between long irons, hybrids, and woods depending on the course and weather conditions. However, changing irons for a different bounce simply isn't possible for most golfers as you simply don't have those kinds of options even available at retail. You would have to have two sets of irons and find someone to grind one of the sets to a lower bounce. This is not an easy or inexpensive task. Let alone be able to hit an iron with a different sole grind well. 

26 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

I think his changes are notable but they it isn't realistic or even possible to change out irons for the average golfer. I think changing to a lower bounce wedge for a course with tight lies can be done for average golfers. The other changes I see as possible is changing out between long irons, hybrids, and woods depending on the course and weather conditions. However, changing irons for a different bounce simply isn't possible for most golfers as you simply don't have those kinds of options even available at retail. You would have to have two sets of irons and find someone to grind one of the sets to a lower bounce. This is not an easy or inexpensive task. Let alone be able to hit an iron with a different sole grind well. 

Why would someone have to find a place to grind the second set of irons? The avg golfer doesn’t need to have two sets from the same manufacturer just to have different bounce or if they did choose to go that route they could have different line from the same manufacturer? Or they could have a second set of the same irons with the loft adjusted that will change the bounce that way.

Theres lots of ways to accomplish what morikawa did for the average golfer if they needed that. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have one 54 degree SW that has a lot of bounce and I play in all conditions. But I have two 60 wedges - a high bounce and a low bounce - that I’ll swap out in the spring when it’s really wet. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 8.5* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 65 (6.5)

Woods: Turner H-2 3W, 5W, 7W Aldila NV 65 Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: King F8 6i - PW Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 3 50*, 54*, 60* Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :scotty-small: Futura 5W

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 Cart bag

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

Rangefinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Tracker: :ShotScope: ShotScope V2