Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Grass (The Golf Course Kind)

Shankster

The topic of grass type on the PGA Tour.  I never put any thought into it until recently.  I played some different types on vacation.

here in Maryland I play on Bermuda fairways.  Up north I was taking huge divots because the grass was so thin.  Here, yesterday, I was barely taking any, and the ball flight seemed higher… 

Whats your take on the grass?

I'm no expert on turf management.  Throughout the years playing this game in the region had seen the change of grass on the putting surface and fairway often.  One year, there was this infestation of fungus allover the region, killing off the grass on the greens.   The local PGA had to bring in experts to figure out a way to apply non-traditional fungicide to maintain the golf courses.  That year and a few after, we had been putting on half bald greens and some temporary greens in the Summer. 

Location dictate the type of grass on the putting surface and in the fairway.  The local climate will promote certain type ( mix ) of grass to thrive, better managed with fungus/moisture control.

In the NW, where plenty of moisture in half of the year and with tall evergreen trees, the shade promote the growth of the fungus.  Especially with the short grass on the putting surface, no golf courses around here could maintain the bentgrass, without the invasion of fungus.  The typical grass on the putting surface is a mixture of broad leaves  ( Poa Annua )and creeping bentgrass.

I believe more blue grass in the fairway mixed with rye, and other which pollinated from the wind of local species.  

Bent grass is so much easier to read and putt on. I live in the South so we have mostly tif eagle bermuda on the greens which is very heat resistant but grainy and adds a layer of difficulty in that you have to read the break AND the grain. 

As a real life example, we played pinehurst where most of the greens are bermuda but they are bent on Pinehurst No. 9. To a man we all putted lights out at No. 9 because there was no grain to consider. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

9 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Bent grass is so much easier to read and putt on. I live in the South so we have mostly tif eagle bermuda on the greens which is very heat resistant but grainy and adds a layer of difficulty in that you have to read the break AND the grain. 

As a real life example, we played pinehurst where most of the greens are bermuda but they are bent on Pinehurst No. 9. To a man we all putted lights out at No. 9 because there was no grain to consider. 

I grew up playing on bent grass greens, weeds for fairways and rough, with some bluegrass sprinkled in.  Even here they are bent, just the fairways are bermuda.  I’ve only played one course that I know of with Bermuda greens.  

I've lived in the South for all but one year of my life.  Bermuda and clay soil is pretty much the norm for me..  Went to play at Big Cedar in Missouri this summer.  They had Zoysia.  Couldn't get the ball to spin at all on chip shots around the green.  Literally had a chip that I landed on the fringe roll all the way through the green.  It was mind-boggling... 

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_CS said:

I've lived in the South for all but one year of my life.  Bermuda and clay soil is pretty much the norm for me..  Went to play at Big Cedar in Missouri this summer.  They had Zoysia.  Couldn't get the ball to spin at all on chip shots around the green.  Literally had a chip that I landed on the fringe roll all the way through the green.  It was mind-boggling... 

Thats funny you say that.. I played Payne Stewart course up there which is Zoysia grass, and I could not stop the ball from spinning. I had balls come off the green cause they were spinning so much.  Started to play for the spin on the back 9 . I like it cause the ball was always sitting up, so you was always hitting ball first, it was hard to make a divot on that grass.

I learn to play on Bend Grass, so when you move to Bermuda type grass is so much slower.

Edited by MrBandit

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag