Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra new marketing "tricks"

A caution out there, buying Cobra drivers. So far I only experienced this deceit with an F9 driver, but expect maybe comes to the SpeedZone F9 also? What happened is Cobra made a batch of "F9" calling them F9s that is an "s" added. But in the big box golf store in Canada, their ad said nothing in particular about the S modifications to construction. So what happened when I got the club is it is that it is NOT a MILLED FACE, very visually evident, and the "Milled Face" printed words are not on the club face. There is NO listing I can find on www.Cobra.com website discussing a F9s clubs at all. So in other words, no information stating construction of F9 had been cheapen.  So seems an intentional misleading product offering, e.g. Cobra now makes their own "knock-off" club. Sure, price was reduced and very attractive, but hey a real F9 is a 2019 product, an F8 had a milled face and was I think a 2017 product! So a F9s without milled face is really a <2016 product in technology from Cobra. Asked the store, "what gives, an F9 with no milled face is a deception in your ad?" they said it was a F9S, and S means no milled face nor Arcos grip. I told them the pictures they use a show milled face and on the club there is no "s" after F9.  Anyhow,  said I was not happy and felt cheated; they said too bad, too sad, tough luck, thank God, they do have a return policy.  Cobra should be ashamed! Maybe soon they will do that trick with SZ clubs too. Caution!

Not a marketing trick. Many brands do this, including Callaway, TaylorMade, and others as a way to move older inventory & parts. Older lines are re-released in big box stores with lesser components, maybe a driver at launch was adjustable and now it's a bonded head, etc. The cost new is usually much lower than it was at launch, however quality is usually still much better than a lesser known OEM.

Caveat emptor. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Not a marketing trick. Many brands do this, including Callaway, TaylorMade, and others as a way to move older inventory & parts. Older lines are re-released in big box stores with lesser components, maybe a driver at launch was adjustable and now it's a bonded head, etc. The cost new is usually much lower than it was at launch, however quality is usually still much better than a lesser known OEM.

Caveat emptor. 

Yup. Not a marketing trick at all and a fairly common practice as stated above