TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for a high launcher for my driver

therod

Hello friends,

As the topic says, I'm looking for a good low bend point high launching driver shaft. I'm a lower ball flight player, and I think it would help me, in multiple ways, if I could raise my ball flight a little bit. I know it's not going to make a big difference, but a little would always help. I'm currently juggling a Wave, a hbp ProLaunch Blue, and a black ProLaunch that Grafalloy did with Golfworks. But I'm always looking for something else / better. I've debated on a Fujikura Vista Pro, a red Evenflow (only available on ebay it seems), or even an old school ProLite, which worked for me a few years ago. But I'm open to ideas. I'd probably not look at something that required me going to the bank for a loan to get it, I need to be financially wise. Let's says anything in the $100 area and under. I know that rules alot of options out, but I just can't do that. So do tell, what do you say about a high launcher for my driver?

I've also been curious about the newer generation of V2s from UST. The HL version has obviously caught my eye, and they have the recoil technology in the V2 shafts. Like I said, I'm open to ideas and have no brand preference.

I have been a relatively low ball flight player for a number of years, so I know what you are going through.  However, I would suggest that you determine why your ball flight is low.  It may be your club specs or your swing.  If it's your swing, changing shafts may not help much.  Low bend point shafts add more spin to the ball which is why the will launch a little higher.  What you want is a club that launches higher with moderate to low spin... unless your swing speed doesn't keep the ball in the air.

I had always teed the ball up fairly high because I was told to swing up for more distance.  I had an AoA of +5-6º.  However, I wasn't hitting the center of the club face... I was catching the ball on the bottom half.  That was one reason for low flight.  Another reason was my weight shift during my swing; I slid side to side and didn't rotate well.  All of this combined with my low club speed means short carry distance; not bad on our firm fairways but not optimal elsewhere.

I made a swing change and I am driving the ball higher; certainly not as high as high speed players, but I do get more distance.  Before chasing down the shaft rabbit hole, you might want to have your local pro evaluate your swing first.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

First question - what do you consider “low” and what do you consider “high”?

I too thought I hit the driver too low.  Did some research, got on the radar and discovered that for my swing speed I’m actually hitting the ball a little too high.  So what is your target height, and do you know why?  (Not being critical, I myself had a preconceived notion and I was wrong…) Anytime I get over 100ft at peak I’m either ballooning or am going to have such a steep angle of descent that I loose any roll.  I swing in the 95-97 mph club head speed  range.

I agree with the advice above about determining the “why” first to see if it’s really shaft related.  It very well may be.  But what’s the target, and see if it’s swing related before you part with the cash.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Getting fitted with the right head and shaft combination will help.  Personally I like the Fujikura Speeder shafts and with clubhead speed (93mph) and ball speed 132mph and can get max performance for the senior with ball spin 2000.  We have my driver (TSI3 set at 10.75).  At 75 no way I can keep up with you young long ball hitters but do very well for my age.  That is why I went to my fitter and set this up for me, getting maximum height and distance.  I can hit it high as well as low when it calls for a low shot with this loft.  I play the Prov1, which helps also.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Do NOT guess about what shaft to use or go by what others tell you. Go get tested by a good club fitter in your area, maybe Club Champion. and see what your current shaft is doing and ask the fitter what might help. Try some shafts and go by what works for "YOU".  Nothing else really matters in the end. 

Don. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

Many sites get Callie, TM, and at Titleist fitters on site for fittings. With shot trackers, they can tell you if your loft and shaft are optimal for launch and spin. Adding an empiric shaft change could easily do nothing to change the result. A local fitter can charge you for a fitting and recommend a fix/shaft for your gamer, a swing change, or a newer alternative. Something like a used Ping 400 as alternative to a 425 fitting, same shaft/loft. But if $$$ is part of your equation, picking a new shaft is closer to gambling. You don’t want to have to try a 2nd, or 3rd shaft to be cost-effective.  

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

Accuflex Creation would make you happy.

What's In the Bag

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° driver w/stiff Xcaliber Avalon 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-wood w/stiff Xcaliber Mystic 5 shaft
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3-hybrid w/stiff Xcaliber RT shafts shaft
Malby KE4 Max irons with reg Xcaliber RT shafts
Callaway Jaws full toe 60° wedge with Project X Catalyst 80 wedge graphite shaft
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 CH stroke lab putter
Callaway Org 14 bag

I'm not over the hill.  I'm on the back nine.

• 1 month later...

I switch out my shaft in my Ping 410 Lst  to a Red Tense .

From eBay for $79.00 it’s better than shopping for another driver.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•