Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Gapping question regarding Hybrid

Hi There, 

i have currently a question. I am looking for a hybrid/rescue filling a place between my wood and my irons.

My set so far looks like following:

mizuno jpx 850 driver

cobra king speedzone fairwaywood - 5 wood

cobra king speedzone irons 5-sw 

lob-wedge

Putter

For that empty spot i am thinking about the radspeed hyb4

now the question. The fairwaywood #5 has a similar loft @20 degrees. 

the radspeed hybrid 4 has also 21 degrees loft. But does it launch higher oder does it fill the spot?

mostly it should be able to help me out of semirough and places i cannot hit the wood nicely. 

i am also a bloody beginner and working at my skills to get my first handicap. My ironing skills are not soo good yet, that‘s why i hope i can get some distance from that annoying semirough lies.

hope for some experienced advice.

You cannot just look at a clubs loft and determine if it will fill the gap; you have to know the distance and hit the club to determine what club fills that spot. As you switch clubs it could be a club with more, less, or the same loft as the club above it or below it in the bag.   With a hybrid you generally have setting you can change to alter loft to help dial in distance.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Usually a 5 hybrid will go 10-15 further than your 5 iron. In my set up I have a 5 hybrid as my next club after my 5 iron in my gapping. A 4 hybrid might produce too much of a gap which I found out. Test out some 4 and 5's to see what distances fit your gapping best, like @cnosil said, don't worry about the lofts as much as the distances they go.  

I am a high handicap so I have similar set up to you. My 4 hybrid gets close distances to my 5 wood, so that gets taken out or used in different situations, like in thicker rough my 5 wood might not get through. I had to go to a Simulator to work out my rough distances. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

This right here. @cnosil nails it.. It's kinda tough to figure out which (non-set) club will fill a gap.  Shaft length and face material will come into play.  Also, what is the gap between the 5w and 5i currently?  A 7 woodz 4 hybrid, or maybe even 5 hybrid, could be the answer.  Obviously I good default answer is talk to your courses pro, but if you can't do you have fairly accurate numbers for your 5i 5w?

Edited by Perrymr
I'm a dumb dumb and couldn't figure out how to quote @cnosil

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright