TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shortening 4 iron

PankaGolf

Evening all, 

Thinking about shortening my 4 iron to 5 iron length, I only use it off the tee or when I’m feeling like Tiger and wanna hit stingers. 

anyone done this? Pros/cons? 

Pros I can see are more control with the con of less club head speed. 

"C'mon be good"

You should increase you accuracy.  Might affect you distance.  I would leave it as it is and just choke up on it when you need to for better control and accuracy.  Of course Bryson is a different story, all this irons are the same length.  Of late, his accuracy is questionable as his distance control.  Just sayin'.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

If you go all the way of cutting the shaft down, consider adjusting the lie angle and the weight to match your six iron.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I shortened my 4 iron to 5 iron length and I hit it more solidly. Although, I had my fitter do the actual work on the shaft to make sure everything was properly aligned. 

Driver: image.jpeg.e446bd483f55f864625f0214a6f0a0cc.jpeg M5 Tour - 9* EvenFlow White 65, 6.5

3 wood: :titelist-small: TS2 15* degree EvenFlow White 75, 6.5

Hybrid: image.jpeg.e446bd483f55f864625f0214a6f0a0cc.jpeg SIM Max 19 Tensei CK Pro Blue 90 TX 

Irons:image.png.f39ca0723463243d8b97c536861568ed.pngEpic Forged 5-A, Aerotech Steelfiber fc90

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 - 50* 54* 60*

Putter: image.jpeg.b8329ade9a91708e1ab3934981395cad.jpeg Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I am assuming that the 4 iron is actually the correct length and lie for you, based on that assumption As suggested by another, just choke down a little if you want to play it shorter. Then you have the proper length for full shots when you are feeling heroic. 

I’ve purchased a second 4 iron which I’ll shorten for testing. Same head and shaft. 

Gripping down while technically working never feels the same mentally so it’s hard to swing completely with it. 

will post results and data after a TrackMan session. 

Edited by PankaGolf

"C'mon be good"

The Pros and Cons are simple like you stated. More control, less ball speed. On a quality hit, you will lose height and distance. But if the gained control brings your smash factor up and helps close the gap on ball speeds then it might not be an issue. Could be a good straight low bullet club off the tee. 

Look at the dataset from the 2019 most wanted utility. Cobra One Length. Extreme example, but one of the lowest launchest, one of the lowest ball speed, one of the lowest apexes, but one of the best shot areas. 

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-most-wanted-utility-iron/

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I bought a shaft pull online for a stock 5i, I play my irons +0.5" so it is equivalent to my 6 iron and stuck it into a SGI 4 iron head to make a "driving iron". In the end it cost me $100-$150 instead of the $250-$350 that new driving irons go for in Canada. 

I hit it 30 yards farther on average than my 6 iron with the same length shaft. Another benefit, is it makes for an elite punch-out club. I have a 4 iron that matches my set and is 1.25" longer than my "driving iron". I hit the longer club worse on average, but on occasion the longer shaft will allow me to hit the ball roughly 10 yards longer - not worth it for your safety club off the tee IMO. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Do like the King, Palmer.  Experiment with clubs.  You can find what fits u better this way.  Don't worry to much about the swing weight or lie until after you use the club a while.  You can adjust the swing weight and lie afterwards.  You can find a heavier grip to restore swing weight if you really feel it needs to be same as rest of your bag.  Palmer had hundreds or thousands of clubs.  He did his own adjusting, at least early on.  In Pennsylvania when he grew up, steel is your friend, your way of life, your neighbor.  I read about a pro who has a 7 wood head on a 3 wood shaft, loves it.  I think Patrick Reed (?) has about a mile total of lead tape on his irons.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I have actually shortened my 6,5, and 4 iron to 7 iron length. Here is everything I did and I would absolutely do it again:

• JPX tour 7 iron loft - standard 34 deg loft, 61.5 deg lie
  • JPX your 6 iron - standard 30 deg loft, 61.5 lie (adjusted the lie .5 deg)
  • MP18 MMC 5 iron - standard 25 deg. 61.5 lie (adjusted the lie 1 deg)
  • MP18 MMC 4 iron  - 1 deg strong 21 deg, 61 lie (adjusted the lie 1 deg) - I like it a little flatter, not sure why

*all have modus 105x shafts

I have not adjusted swingweight but I have ordered some tip weights and will install in due time. The gapping is great and I find specifically the 5 and 4 iron easier to hit. I think going with the extra tech in these 2 clubs really helped get the ball up in the air a bit. 

I actually liked it so much I created a 5 wood length driver, this was a much bigger adjustment but I love it (especially into the wind as its a 7.5 deg head) but I am looking forward to getting the tip weights for this one most of all. Some days its my best club and some days its a pull hook monster. 

So I would absolutely say go for it!

Edited by Chadvb

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Taylormade M2 10.5 deg (@8.5) - Accra Tour Z M4 (future Otto Phlex Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 44g A flex as a 2nd option)

3 wood - Mizuno 15 deg (@14) ST200 - Tensei Blue X flex

Driving iron - Taylormade GAP2 2 lo (@16) - Accra M4 hybrid shaft (39 inch), 4 Utility - Taylormade GAPR 4 lo (@20.5)

5 iron -  Mp18 MMC Fli Hi - Modus 105x - 7 iron length

Irons - (PW - 6) JPX 900 tour - Modus 105x (6 iron is 7 iron length) 

Wedges (50,55) - Vokey SM7

Wedge (60) Callaway PM Grind        

Putter: Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide with Superstroke Wrist Lock grip at 37 inch

On 7/25/2021 at 12:02 PM, Shankster said:

Your 4 iron is likely only a half inch longer than your 5 iron.  I really don’t see any value to shortening it.  You’ll mess with the swing weight, shaft, and lie angle.  Smash the 4 iron as is, I would say.

Good advice. Leave as is and simply grip down 1/2””. No brainer. 👍

Mizuno Pro Model E Tour AD VR 5

Callaway XR 3W 15* 565 Speeder 

Ping G30 5W 18* 757 Speeder

Hogan Apex 99 blades 4-E, KBS Tour CT Limited

Hogan VKTR 21* hybrid 
Hogan EQ wedges. 50*, 56*. 
SC Newport 1.5
Snell MTBX

On 7/23/2021 at 3:55 PM, PankaGolf said:

Evening all, 

Thinking about shortening my 4 iron to 5 iron length, I only use it off the tee or when I’m feeling like Tiger and wanna hit stingers. 

anyone done this? Pros/cons? 

Pros I can see are more control with the con of less club head speed. 

Why do people seem to think TW invented the stinger? Let’s go way back to the Jones, Hogan, Nelson era. Or perhaps most players from Texas in general. They knew how the play in the wind, ala stinger. TW simply put the stinger in his bag because like the classic players, they had that shot when needed. 

Leave the 4 iron as is. Grip down 1/2 - 1” and swing away.

Mizuno Pro Model E Tour AD VR 5

Callaway XR 3W 15* 565 Speeder 

Ping G30 5W 18* 757 Speeder

Hogan Apex 99 blades 4-E, KBS Tour CT Limited

Hogan VKTR 21* hybrid 
Hogan EQ wedges. 50*, 56*. 
SC Newport 1.5
Snell MTBX

Personally I am not a fan of gripping down on a constant basis, I get it for a shot here and there but the grip is a smaller circumference the lower you get (unless you have single width full length grips) and that does affect your swing (hence I use midsize, he uses oversized and then he uses std...).  If I swing a club with std grips (I do use Midsize Superstrokes) the ball path tends to cut/slice more then when I use my midsize, it does affect the swing imho.

I have cut my 5 iron down to 6 iron length and I hit it much better then gripping down on it.  If you know how to remove and install shafts then grab an extra shaft, cut it down, grip and test, if it doesn't work you can always re-install the orig shaft...

pxg.png.e7e044fd4bf4420da9b5f34ce0988283.png Driver - PXG Proto Driver 10.5Deg ProjectX Hazardous Smoke 6.0

Sub70.jpg.77cfa59c1fd76fb93cf26d888e345a11.jpg  3 Wood - Mixuno ST-190 (Miyazaki Kaula Stiff)  

Sub70.jpg.77cfa59c1fd76fb93cf26d888e345a11.jpg  4 Hybrid - Sub 70 939X ProjectX Hazardous Smoke 6.0 

Mizuno.png.d759d0a0cbba25ebc7dc911fcb0d12f4.png  6-PW - Mizuno JPX-919 HM / Nipon NS Pro Reg  

pxg.png.e7e044fd4bf4420da9b5f34ce0988283.png  52/56/60- PXG 0311 Forged / Nipon NS Pro Stiff  

a1-1.jpg.bd9bde6362b8d3ac54e8a4a9ff9a0a49.jpg  Heavy Putter Tour A1 

On 7/30/2021 at 6:22 PM, MrHogan said:

Why do people seem to think TW invented the stinger? Let’s go way back to the Jones, Hogan, Nelson era. Or perhaps most players from Texas in general. They knew how the play in the wind, ala stinger. TW simply put the stinger in his bag because like the classic players, they had that shot when needed. 

I'd actually call Tiger a classic player, most of these kids couldn't even tell you anything about the 97 Masters, if they where even born. How many pga tour players hit a 2 iron? The best is the Taylormade video when Tiger busts out the actual 1 wood, they all where like I've never ever seen one, while Tiger rips it down the middle, oh, how many players today had a metal driver shaft??

Ping G410 Driver, 3 wood, and 2 hybrid.

Ben Hogan Ui-Hi 3 iron

Ben Hogan Icon Irons 4-Pw

Callaway MD5 Jaws 51 degree wedge

Callaway PM 19 56 degree Wedge

Bettinardi 2021 Queen B 6

On 7/30/2021 at 11:22 PM, MrHogan said:

I know he didn’t invent but I’m at an age where Tiger was theeee guy hitting stingers. 

im also from Scotland, we hit “stingers” most rounds in fife it’s not the serious or deep. Relax, have a glass of water and bring the blood pressure down my guy. It’s not healthy. 

9 hours ago, DCWT said:

I'd actually call Tiger a classic player, most of these kids couldn't even tell you anything about the 97 Masters, if they where even born. How many pga tour players hit a 2 iron? The best is the Taylormade video when Tiger busts out the actual 1 wood, they all where like I've never ever seen one, while Tiger rips it down the middle, oh, how many players today had a metal driver shaft??

Yeah 97 is too far back for me, genuinely can’t remember a thing from that age. Earliest I remember is… maybe 02?

"C'mon be good"

Gotta bend the lie/loft to accommodate the .5 inch drop in length. 1 deg in loft and 1 deg in lie should do the trick. 

I found the same thing, spinny and short until I did that (or ultimately what I did was get new heads with lofts that fit the bill)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Taylormade M2 10.5 deg (@8.5) - Accra Tour Z M4 (future Otto Phlex Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 44g A flex as a 2nd option)

Driving iron - Taylormade GAP2 2 lo (@16) - Accra M4 hybrid shaft (39 inch), 4 Utility - Taylormade GAPR 4 lo (@20.5)

Putter: Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide with Superstroke Wrist Lock grip at 37 inch

3 hours ago, Chadvb said:

Gotta bend the lie/loft to accommodate the .5 inch drop in length. 1 deg in loft and 1 deg in lie should do the trick. 

I found the same thing, spinny and short until I did that (or ultimately what I did was get new heads with lofts that fit the bill)

Ended up 2d in lie and 1.5 in loft. 

tbh TrackMan kinda said it was placebo so idea has been shelved. Now looking for my next great idea

"C'mon be good"

Try a shorter hybrid

What's in the bag: