Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Strains on Caddies

B_R_A_D_Y

Was listening to some talking heads on TV discussing the toll that carrying a bag takes on tour caddies. So, why don’t tour caddies use push carts? Is it an ego thing of is it a rule of some type?

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

17 minutes ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Was listening to some talking heads on TV discussing the toll that carrying a bag takes on tour caddies. So, why don’t tour caddies use push carts? Is it an ego thing of is it a rule of some type?

Carrying a bag provides them access to any location on the course;  carts are limited to where you can roll it.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Carrying a bag provides them access to any location on the course;  carts are limited to where you can roll it.    

No doubt, but still an interesting question.  I have got to wonder what this does to your back.  9 years looping at a club has done me no favors (although I wouldn't have traded it for the world).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

There are few places that my push cart won't roll to on a course.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

3 hours ago, puttnfool said:

There are few places that my push cart won't roll to on a course.

You don’t hit it where Bryson does 😉 just ask his caddie …. Oh wait…nvm.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:46 AM, B_R_A_D_Y said:

I agree that with the bag over one's shoulder, could walk right through the green from one end to the other without looping around the green.  While push carts must stay on the flatter surface, one can carry the bag to anywhere that one can set his footing.  I have seen caddies use push carts on the European/Asian Tour, but not caught up here just yet.  Don't believe there is a rule against the use of a push cart in professional tournament.  If anything, the use of a push cart might attract a few looks from other players/caddies in the field.

I started carrying my golf bag before the double straps was invented.  Then the double shoulder straps then the extra light weight bag.... finally gave in to the push carts,, I still carry my own bag with a shorter golf course when carrying only 7-8 clubs.  Because it feels "free" to walk anywhere just like a taking a walk in nature instead of feeling like riding a bicycle in countryside with a push cart. 

Some other countries where a caddie is mandatory, the used of push carts ( single, double and even the quad bag carts ) were in use decades ago.  Many country are using the battery powered push carts for the caddies now.

16 hours ago, The 19th Hole said:

You don’t hit it where Bryson does 😉 just ask his caddie …. Oh wait…nvm.

Maybe not as far, but I'm sure my dispersion would give him a run for his money.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

Did a quick search on the reasoning behind caddies carrying bags on tour and the one that made the most sense to me was $$$. For the same reason caddies are typically seen on tour lugging around a staff bag with a single strap, is also a good possible reason for not using a push cart (of course, to the best of my knowledge it isn't really the caddie's choice what bag is used; it's up to the player). It's all about sponsorship dollars and maintaining visibility on the course. It's much easier to position a logo toward the cameras if the bag isn't attached to something.

This is all just speculation on my part, but it seems like this is possibly the best explanation. I mean there are plenty of carry bags capable of storing everything a player would need on the course and I'm sure caddies wouldn't complain about a lighter bag and availability of two shoulder straps, but then advertising space is reduced by 50% if the bag is always being worn by the caddie. Seems like this reasoning would follow for push carts as well.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

On 7/26/2021 at 5:06 PM, TR1PTIK said:

it isn't really the caddie's choice what bag is used; it's up to the player).

Very true.

Players have stuff in the bag for "just in case", rain gear, extra pair of socks, sun screen, snack...... anything you'd imagine that one might need for the 5 -6 hours on the golf course.  Believe me, if they cold fit a honey bucket in the bag,  it'll be in it.

On 7/26/2021 at 1:39 PM, puttnfool said:

Maybe not as far, but I'm sure my dispersion would give him a run for his money.

Distance trump dispersion pattern, if you look into the history of winners in the Professional Tour.  Since day ONE, the chase after more distance was the major theme with this game of golf.  

Why do you think all the OEM advertise the "more distance ", "improved distance " on their products ?   The jacked up loft in the irons and the overall increased length in each of the club in the bag ?    All after one theme- "longer distance ".  And it is racking in revenues until the consumer realized there is no magic wand.

First thing in golf is to exam the basic elements of -the golfer-the equipment.  In that order.  No different than any other competitive sports, physical ability + connection to the nerve/cognitive ability = better outcome.

In the sports of a single stroke could separate the winner from the runner-ups, golf is at the height of this example.

Long been discussed in the past, with multiple major winners in the game of golf.... which would they prefer.  Either 120 in the rough to the green or 190 to the green ?   The majority of the answer was, preferring closer to the green.

And looking back from day one, including Bobby Jones to Ben Hogan to Jack Nicklaus to Tiger Woods, every and each one of them were the longer hitter within their peer in their era.

The goal of the game is to score low !   If a wedge out of the rough is better than a 7-6 iron out of the fairway, then play the percentage.

Distance was the king, and it always would be.  Even after the golf courses pushed back for longer yardage and the conforming rules of golf clubs and golf balls exists.  The human physical ability will be the CAP for the seeking of the longer distance.

Right now, if you look at who are on the professional Golf Tour.  Young, physically fit, tall and strong.  Each one of these Professional golfers could have played other sports and do well.  More and more injury's resulted from the competition.  Which makes me  conclude that we are pushing the human limit close to the edge if not there already.

That will answer your questions !  You can have a drink or two or three to celebrate your fairway hits.  But really, how did you score  ?  Even with a regular tee , not the same length the professionals are using ?

38 minutes ago, release said:

Distance trump dispersion pattern, if you look into the history of winners in the Professional Tour.  Since day ONE, the chase after more distance was the major theme with this game of golf.  

Why do you think all the OEM advertise the "more distance ", "improved distance " on their products ?   The jacked up loft in the irons and the overall increased length in each of the club in the bag ?    All after one theme- "longer distance ".  And it is racking in revenues until the consumer realized there is no magic wand.

First thing in golf is to exam the basic elements of -the golfer-the equipment.  In that order.  No different than any other competitive sports, physical ability + connection to the nerve/cognitive ability = better outcome.

In the sports of a single stroke could separate the winner from the runner-ups, golf is at the height of this example.

Long been discussed in the past, with multiple major winners in the game of golf.... which would they prefer.  Either 120 in the rough to the green or 190 to the green ?   The majority of the answer was, preferring closer to the green.

And looking back from day one, including Bobby Jones to Ben Hogan to Jack Nicklaus to Tiger Woods, every and each one of them were the longer hitter within their peer in their era.

The goal of the game is to score low !   If a wedge out of the rough is better than a 7-6 iron out of the fairway, then play the percentage.

Distance was the king, and it always would be.  Even after the golf courses pushed back for longer yardage and the conforming rules of golf clubs and golf balls exists.  The human physical ability will be the CAP for the seeking of the longer distance.

Right now, if you look at who are on the professional Golf Tour.  Young, physically fit, tall and strong.  Each one of these Professional golfers could have played other sports and do well.  More and more injury's resulted from the competition.  Which makes me  conclude that we are pushing the human limit close to the edge if not there already.

That will answer your questions !  You can have a drink or two or three to celebrate your fairway hits.  But really, how did you score  ?  Even with a regular tee , not the same length the professionals are using ?

First, what does that have to do with my comment whatsoever?

Second, I'm not old enough to have followed Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, or Jack Nicklaus, but I can be 100% certain, Tiger was never the longest hitter on Tour.  Maybe he outdrove a few guys here and there and maybe he led a tournament once or twice, but he never led in driving distance for a season.

WITB:

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

2 minutes ago, puttnfool said:

First, what does that have to do with my comment whatsoever?

Second, I'm not old enough to have followed Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, or Jack Nicklaus, but I can be 100% certain, Tiger was never the longest hitter on Tour.  Maybe he outdrove a few guys here and there and maybe he led a tournament once or twice, but he never led in driving distance for a season.

Read your own reply, we can only tell by what you stated.