TESTERS WANTED! ×

5 and 6 iron crack

Pommie78

I've had the Callaway Apex 19s for pretty much 12 months bought new and noticed a crack as I pulled my 5 iron on the course yesterday.

I looked at the other clubs and the 6 iron also has a similar length but less noticeable crack.

2 clubs from a brand new iron set cracking in 12 months? Anyone seen this before? 

IMG20210725133856.jpg

It may be a bad chrome job, in which case it won’t affect performance but will only get worse, leading to rusting. I would send a pick to Callaway customer service and see what they say. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

16 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

It may be a bad chrome job, in which case it won’t affect performance but will only get worse, leading to rusting. I would send a pick to Callaway customer service and see what they say. 

Thanks for the insight.

For now, I'll stop my inner child tantrum saying 'i'll never buy Callaway clubs again' <|:o)

Will contact them today. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Update.

I reached out to both Callaway and CarlsGolfLand.com who I bought them from.

CarlsGolfLand responded quickly, got in touch with Callaway and organized for a replacement set of Apex 21s, that just arrived today.

To say I'm happy with the customer service by Carl's is an understatement. That is amazing customer service. Callaway too.

Thanks. 

Edited by Pommie78

Great to hear!

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

• 2 years later...

The exact same thing happened to my Apex 4 and 5 iron.  I purchased them from the Callaway pre-owned store - they were new, still in plastic and had never been hit.  Reached out to Callaway, several times, and they refused to do anything other than offer me a discount on a new purchase.... Very disappointed in customer service - I only used the clubs for one season when this cracking showed up.  

I've not seen that happen before. Weird. What causes that?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: Ping Anser (2023)

Ball: ProV1x

On 3/9/2024 at 10:22 AM, Christol said:

The exact same thing happened to my Apex 4 and 5 iron.  I purchased them from the Callaway pre-owned store - they were new, still in plastic and had never been hit.  Reached out to Callaway, several times, and they refused to do anything other than offer me a discount on a new purchase.... Very disappointed in customer service - I only used the clubs for one season when this cracking showed up.  

Just curious if they were pre owned maybe someone was pulling your leg by saying they never been hit as I don't know who buys golf equipment and never hits them. I sure there might be someone who gets rid of them without hitting them but Wow talk about taking a loss. Maybe because they were pre-owned was the reason why they could do anything as they may not have had a replacement iron to match your Apex 4 and 5 iron

Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/:Fuji: Speeder NX Blue 50

3W: :callaway-small:  Paradym Ai Smoke Max D w/GD AD CQ5

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60

all woods have CPX grips

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

All irons have WINN DRI-TAC LT grips

Puter: :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip

On 3/15/2024 at 7:55 AM, RangerGrey said:

Just curious if they were pre owned maybe someone was pulling your leg by saying they never been hit as I don't know who buys golf equipment and never hits them. I sure there might be someone who gets rid of them without hitting them but Wow talk about taking a loss. Maybe because they were pre-owned was the reason why they could do anything as they may not have had a replacement iron to match your Apex 4 and 5 iron

Callaway runs a pre owned site.  Many times they will list a condition as "like new" and it will be brand new, never hit clubs still in plastic from old stock that didn't sell.  They can't list them as new at a discounted price due to MAP deals they make other sellers adhere to.  Undercutting your distributors wouldn't go over well.

Tour Edge Exotics

Cleveland

Odyssey