Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sirchunk's Swing Quest

28 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

It's a beautiful area and has some amazing golf courses. 

I've been there a few times after my friend built his house on 44 acres on top of a hill.  Beautiful view!!

I'm sure there are some amazing courses, but I only played golf there once and it was a mediocre public course.  Been several years since I was there... before I retired.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I've been there a few times after my friend built his house on 44 acres on top of a hill.  Beautiful view!!

I'm sure there are some amazing courses, but I only played golf there once and it was a mediocre public course.  Been several years since I was there... before I retired.

I hadn't been in that part of the state in a while, but the views of the mountains were gorgeous. Mind you, they weren't like the mountains you have there in Washington. Rainier, Adams, St Helens, etc..., but there are some spectacular views. 

Just catching up on all this good stuff, SirWorksHardALot!!

First - PM me your address .. I have something to send you that may really help you .. it was sent to me by another forum member and it really helped me!

Next - totally completely 100% unequivocally agree with @Shankster and @Kenny B .. the Slow Motion Drill, originally from Harvey Penick, has been a bit of a revelation for me .. cannot recommend it enough!!

If you don't have a copy of "The Little Red Book" beg borrow or steal one and read that section. But please be careful of You Tube videos that are *not* following Penick's instructions....

I've only done it a few times and I'm hitting the ball way better already.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh and I'll offer one piece of advice .. that admittedly I'm still trying very hard to internalize myself ...

"Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

What that means to me is trying to execute the "perfect" shot .. but failing to execute it just right .. and getting into, or not getting out of, trouble .. when a "good" shot could have gotten you somewhere onto the green, for example...

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

7 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Just catching up on all this good stuff, SirWorksHardALot!!

First - PM me your address .. I have something to send you that may really help you .. it was sent to me by another forum member and it really helped me!

Next - totally completely 100% unequivocally agree with @Shankster and @Kenny B .. the Slow Motion Drill, originally from Harvey Penick, has been a bit of a revelation for me .. cannot recommend it enough!!

If you don't have a copy of "The Little Red Book" beg borrow or steal one and read that section. But please be careful of You Tube videos that are *not* following Penick's instructions....

I've only done it a few times and I'm hitting the ball way better already.

I'm loving the slow motion drill, I will say it is difficult, but those things that are worth it usually are. I'll look up the "Little Red Book" and find where I can purchase it. I can also check out the used bookstore near work as they have a good selection of golf literature. I appreciate the advice and and encouragement!

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

A good friend of mine lives just a few miles from Tom.  Maybe I should move there!!

You should. We have a shortage of golfers in my area. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 9/27/2021 at 9:46 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

We have a shortage of golfers in my area. 

???!!!???

Wow.... sure wish the courses around here had that problem!!!
(..sure would like to send some of these NY ***ing expletive **** expletive deleted ***ers somewhere else!)
(-- but no, not to you nor to anyone even remotely nice)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

35 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

???!!!???

Wow.... sure wish the courses around here had that problem!!!
(..sure would like to send some of these NY ***ing expletive **** expletive deleted ***ers somewhere else!)
(-- but no, not to you nor to anyone even remotely nice)

Trust me, I know. I lived on Long Island for 35 years. Then CT for 10. Sorry but I don't miss it one bit.  I remember sitting in the parking lot at Bethpage at 4:00 am to get a tee time. I had a little culture shock at first after the move to TN. I got called into HR after a week because I was using the "F" word on the manufacturing floor. Seems to be not as acceptable in the bible belt. But after many years here I have adapted. Now I'm one who turns their head when I hear it used out loud. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

From my last few range sessions, I'm starting to feel like I might just be able to play this game. 

You got this! 

5 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

From my last few range sessions, I'm starting to feel like I might just be able to play this game. 

What @Tom the Golf Nut said!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Keep practicing my friend and go dig it out of the dirt. Stay positive and you will see positive results. 👍⛳🏌️♂️

Mizuno Pro Model E  10.5* Tour AD VR 5

Callaway XR 3W 15* 565 Speeder 

Ping G30 5W 18* 757 Speeder

Hogan Apex 99 blades 4-E, KBS Tour CT Limited

Hogan VKTR 21* hybrid 
Hogan EQ wedges. 50*, 56*. 
Sik Flo C
Snell MTBX

Good luck. I would get a set of 6 lessons first, better to start with good habits rather than to unlearn everything developed over the next few months. Just saying.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 7/25/2021 at 7:48 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm about 2 1/2 hours away from you. If you ever want to head up and spend a day working on your game let me know.  I'm here for you. I have access to a private course. Range, short game practice areas, and of course the golf course itself. Not to mention all the crap I have at home and the simulator.  We can put an 8 hour day in with breaks and lunch and get you off to a good start on your journey. 

You can’t buy this type help, 

cheers Tom!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

4 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

cheers Tom!

Thanks, I think we all are willing to help a fellow golfer break through if we had the means. I was glad Jason was able to come up for the day. He did get a lot accomplished. My Pro was nice enough to give him a free lesson as well. Now that Jason has a good start it's up to him to put in the work. We know he is! That's what this thread is all about. I think he will surprise us soon in the "How did you play"

You can watch video's, read books, go through the golf magazines and try to mimic what you see but having a professional teacher watching you and tweaking you is invaluable. They can see something and fix you in minutes.  

6 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

cheers Tom!

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Thanks, I think we all are willing to help a fellow golfer break through if we had the means. I was glad Jason was able to come up for the day. He did get a lot accomplished. My Pro was nice enough to give him a free lesson as well. Now that Jason has a good start it's up to him to put in the work. We know he is! That's what this thread is all about. I think he will surprise us soon in the "How did you play"

You can watch video's, read books, go through the golf magazines and try to mimic what you see but having a professional teacher watching you and tweaking you is invaluable. They can see something and fix you in minutes.  

Honestly, I don't think I can describe well enough how valuable and thankful I am that I was able to get out for the golf learning day with @Tom the Golf Nut. Between the lesson, the round, and the chipping academy, it did more for my golf game than anything I can think of.

You know what was the most valuable? Actually, now that I think about it, I'm going with two things. 

1. Spending the day with someone who is just an all around great person. The conversation, fellowship, and ability to observe someone who can dissect a course was amazing! 

2. The most important thing I got from Bob was confidence. Having him state that my swing was fundamentally good did loads for my psyche. I've spent a lot of time this year feeling completely like I have no business playing this game and that was a boost I needed and a great motivator. 

The work is coming along nicely and I know it's going to take a lot of it to get to where I want to be, but it'll be worth it. 

I remember well before you starting this thread that I told you and @cksurfdude how hard I was rooting for both of you to get where you want to be with your golf games. You’re both two very likable people, who obviously love golf. You both deserve it.

This cite is truly a special place, so many great guys here who are willing to give both advice and encouragement. @Tom the Golf Nut, you’re one of those special people here. You went above and beyond to help someone here, that says all I need to know about you.👍
We’ve all been where you are at some point Jason, this is a hard game for most of us. I had plenty of struggles with my game earlier this year, so believe me, I know the feeling. 🙄

Keep up the good work, and just like so many others I’ll be following along, pulling for you. You got this!

Driver:            :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 22* & 25*

Irons:             :mizuno-small:  JPX 923 HM 6-AW

Wedges:        :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 54-11

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”