History’s Mysteries: The Demise of MacGregor Golf

Today marks the First Installment of a new series to the MyGolfSpy catalog of series, History's Mysteries. In this first chapter, we look at MacGregor Golf, one of the early premier brands next to the then giant, Wilson Staff. The brand exploded from what we would consider a start-up through the late 1800s to a burgeoning golf brand in the 1930s just after the great depression. How did they make the transition in such a turbulent time? Tommy Armour and Toney Penna joined the ranks to promote and play MacGregor clubs. A few highlights of the MacGregor brand:

• 2nd Most PGA Tour Major Wins 59 
  • In the late 30s, they signed and produced clubs for Tommy Armour which put them on the map
  • By 1950, MacGregor had the most tour players 
  • They introduced some of the first "forgiving" irons with large top lines and low center of gravity
  • MacGregor's tour players (and often owners) included the likes of Tommy Armour, Jack Nicklaus, Toney Penna, and Ben Hogan

A few questions for the forum:

1. Is there a player (or couple of players) out there right now that could put a golf brand at the top of the Most Wanted list?
  2. Have you played or ever seen MacGregor branded clubs out in the wild?
  3. What could Schneider's Parkside Group do to put MacGregor back on the map?

image.png

• Like 7

Driver: Sim 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver 110

3 Wood: Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver

2 Hybrid: Cobra Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0

4-6 Irons: 2021 P790 X-Stiff, KBS Tour FLT

7-PW Irons: 2021 P770 X-Stiff, KBS C-Taper 1* flat

Wedges: Mod 1 50* with Universal Down sole, Mod 1 56* with Narrow UP sole

My Putter: Hates Me (Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 4 Putter)

5.8 Handicapped Right Hander from Salt Lake City, Utah

This was a fantastic read. Any time @GolfSpy Barbajo writes a longform article, especially on OEM history, it's a great one. 

• Like 8

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

This was a great article, and while I remember playing in high school with a kid who had some MacGregors, I never really knew any history. I'm not sure any current pro could get people to buy these again. It may be more of a nostalgic purchaser interested in these. 

Did the article say that the putter used in 1986 was their biggest seller? I'm not sure something that looks like that is where they would need to go, but maybe some other putter that tries to compete with some of the favorites in the market

• Like 4

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Thanks for the kind words @russtopherb. This was a fun article to research and write. And something interesting happened last night to indicate the final chapter of this story has yet to be written. If that isn't a teaser, I don't know what is...

Well that's a savage teaser if I've ever seen one (he says as he starts obsessively Googling MacGregor news).

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

The single set of irons that I always wanted but never pulled the trigger on were the 1025M's.  Of all the irons ever sent to retail, these were some of the most gorgeous forgings I have ever seen, held and swung.  The demo 6 iron at the range was my go-to on clean/pick days from the woods and bunkers.  These were an absolute gem from a legendary company.  Great write up @GolfSpy Barbajo

s-l640.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

6 minutes ago, bens197 said:

The single set of irons that I always wanted but never pulled the trigger on were the 1025M's.  Of all the irons ever sent to retail, these were some of the most gorgeous forgings I have ever seen, held and swung.  The demo 6 iron at the range was my go-to on clean/pick days from the woods and bunkers.  These were an absolute gem from a legendary company.  Great write up @GolfSpy Barbajo

s-l640.jpg

Those still look VERY clean. Not many manufacturers have stuck with the shiny chrome due to glint from the sun, but those are good looking irons.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Thanks for the kind words @russtopherb. This was a fun article to research and write. And something interesting happened last night to indicate the final chapter of this story has yet to be written. If that isn't a teaser, I don't know what is...

Awesome job and a great read, @GolfSpy Barbajo Keep 'em coming!! 👍👍

• Like 3

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

So my memories of MacGregor were the later things, namely I remember the signing of Aaron Baddeley and the reintroduction of the Eye-O-Matic wood line in the mid 2000's and remember demoing the MACTEC NVG 435 when I was looking for a driver upgrade as well. Loved that driver, but loud and obnoxious as all get out.

• Like 3

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_TCG said:

Well that's a savage teaser if I've ever seen one (he says as he starts obsessively Googling MacGregor news).

Can you guys keep a secret???

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Hmmm 2

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I'm live tweeting this conversation to my 36 twitter followers that I paid for, so yeah, you could say this will never leave here hahah.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seriously great read. I love me some history and golf history is some of the best. Granted, I'd probably read 20k words on the history of croutons if @GolfSpy Barbajo wrote it up, so you had me at hello. 

• Like 3

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

4 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

i would certainly love to know...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

48 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

i would certainly love to know...

The answer from @GolfSpy Barbajowill be that he can keep a secret too 🤣

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The first Mac forging that I danced with was a set of Tourney PMB. In 1998 dollars, custom 2-PW cost me $1400 (employee discount). Beautiful buttery wrenches but they were too cruel even at the peak of my ball striking abilities.

78911404-89BD-4151-AFF4-8E4F366F7076.jpeg.dcd5d42be786fe5777c526d5f5cc0182.jpeg

That was an enjoyable stroll down memory lane @GolfSpy Barbajo. In your exhaustive research did you come across any mention of Darren Clarke’s contract with Macgregor that granted him a new Ferrari for every tournament win?

• Like 6

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

10 hours ago, bens197 said:

s-l640.jpg

I have a set of these 1025M Macs... 3-LW in very nice shape.  I would still be playing them, but the stiff shafts had to go.  I've toyed with a few shafts several years ago, but haven't found the right one.  New .355 shafts have come out since then, so maybe I'll start looking again.  Nothing felt better when you hit a good shot, and surprisingly, bad shots didn't feel all that bad.  

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 7/26/2021 at 7:38 PM, GolfSpy_TCG said:

Today marks the First Installment of a new series to the MyGolfSpy catalog of series, History's Mysteries. In this first chapter, we look at MacGregor Golf, one of the early premier brands next to the then giant, Wilson Staff. The brand exploded from what we would consider a start-up through the late 1800s to a burgeoning golf brand in the 1930s just after the great depression. How did they make the transition in such a turbulent time? Tommy Armour and Toney Penna joined the ranks to promote and play MacGregor clubs. A few highlights of the MacGregor brand:

• 2nd Most PGA Tour Major Wins 59 
  • In the late 30s, they signed and produced clubs for Tommy Armour which put them on the map
  • By 1950, MacGregor had the most tour players 
  • They introduced some of the first "forgiving" irons with large top lines and low center of gravity
  • MacGregor's tour players (and often owners) included the likes of Tommy Armour, Jack Nicklaus, Toney Penna, and Ben Hogan

A few questions for the forum:

1. Is there a player (or couple of players) out there right now that could put a golf brand at the top of the Most Wanted list?
  2. Have you played or ever seen MacGregor branded clubs out in the wild?
  3. What could Schneider's Parkside Group do to put MacGregor back on the map?

image.png

Answer to question #2--- Yep everyday I play I play some sort of Mac blade---- How many sets do you want to see in person??----  Lets see I have 10 complete sets everything from my 1940 3800 Armours to my 80 VIP remakes.

BTW On the pic above I would love to find another thin soled DS Mac wedge like that one.

• Like 7

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff

I took up golf in the 60's, and my Dad gave me his hand me down MacGregor DX's, he played MacGregor MT Tourneys. I think my Mom and sisters clubs were MacGregor as well, so we were once an all MacGregor Golf household. My only hole-in-one was with a MacGregor DX 5-iron a million years ago. Obviously those days are long gone, but they were once considered the best brand in our family, we were proud to play them.

• Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

10 hours ago, Middler said:

I took up golf in the 60's, and my Dad gave me his hand me down MacGregor DX's, he played MacGregor MT Tourneys. I think my Mom and sisters clubs were MacGregor as well, so we were once an all MacGregor Golf household. My only hole-in-one was with a MacGregor DX 5-iron a million years ago. Obviously those days are long gone, but they were once considered the best brand in our family, we were proud to play them.

Well they did coin the phrase "Macgregor the Greatest Name in Golf". If anyone trys to give me the antique blade crap I tell them well a fellow named Jack won 18 majors with them. 

• Like 2

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 4 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400 Sensicore--- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bag My Old School Titleist Mini Staff