Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Can someone explain the difference, if any, between an adjustable hosel vs. fixed hosel ?

I had read somewhere that the adjustable hosel is not "true" to spec.  Then why are all the professionals using the adjustable hosel, even, when they basically set on one setting and left it there ?

The one major benefit for me, is the ease of changing shaft with the adjustable hosel vs. the old epoxy in fixed hosel.  In the old days, we had to remove the shaft, epoxy in the new shaft and wait for the curing time ( normally 24 hrs. + ).  So much easier to unscrew the head and insert the new shaft with the adapter in less than a minute.

I leave the setting to standard most if not all the time since changing the loft also moved the face angle, which I hate.

If the OEM decided to come up with a fixed loft and less adjustment , just for the ease of changing the shaft.... I'll be all for it.

Can someone explain the fall-back on the adapter ?  is it really just the BBTG ?  I know Wishon people had discussed this issue in the past.  Can someone put it in a simple layman's form ?

Thanks.

BTW, my favorite drivers are still the oldies from the 90's.

I think the biggest benefit is being able to dial in exactly what each individual needs as far as loft, face angle and lie.  Back when we had fixed hosel heads you were basically stuck with whatever the manufacturer decided to offer and if it didn't work for you, you didn't have a lot of options.  Back in the day of wood heads you could get something custom I suppose but that wasn't an option for the rest of the titanium head titanium drivers out there.  And if you were able to get it bent, the change was permanent so it's not like you could take 15 swings to try it out and then go back.

Now, if you need a 9° driver you can buy a 9° driver and get a neutral face angle or you could buy a 10° and loft it down to get back to 9 with an open face or go with an 8 and loft it up to get a closed face.  Also, depending on the brand you can keep the same loft and adjust the lie angle by itself.   

With that stated, once you've found your driver and the right setting, there isn't really much reason to adjust it unless you make swing changes.  

All drivers have some variation in actual loft vs stated loft, this is part of the manufacturer tolerance. The pros are using heads that have been digitally measured for loft and lie as well as weight. This allow the tour club builders to know exactly what they have so they can accurately build the club for each person. 

The advantage of the adjustable hosel is the ability to effectively dial in fit for the golfer during a fitting. For those who like to tinker it makes changing shafts easier. 

the adapters on adjustable clubs changes the weight as well compared to molded drivers 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Looks like you answered your question with in the post.

However you did mention wishon and BBTG so,,,,,,

If we use the 919th verses say a new mizuno ST driver.  both are adjustable however the ease of adjustability is quite different. 

Can the same be said of the rest of the fixed hosel drivers,,,, nope.

When talking about to spec or BBTG that takes on another discussion. to say who's spec and who;s BBTG. Each maker has a preference hopefully based on some science and some design limit from the CEO. I.E. which golfing demographic does the designer want to lean towards. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

1 hour ago, McGolf said:

Can the same be said of the rest of the fixed hosel drivers,,,, nope.

After all the tinkering, all I want is a driver head with square to slightly open face in relationship to a fixed hosel.   A tall order of some bulge and roll built into the face angle.    Wonderful if it has the ability to swap shaft as fast as the adjustable hosel.

I'm sure it could bring the cost of manufacturing down slightly ?    After being able to swap shaft with a torque wrench, Kind of difficult to go back to the fixed hosel. 

In theory, if a manufacture knew the pros exact specs, building a one off driver that with a bonded hosel would save weight, and allow the designer to put that weight back into the head, perhaps increasing the MOI, or highering or lowering the COG. But that is very specific and awfully expensive. The adjustability does well at retail, but also let's a pro find a face that suits there eye by opening or close the face. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

8 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

In theory, if a manufacture knew the pros exact specs, building a one off driver that with a bonded hosel would save weight, and allow the designer to put that weight back into the head, perhaps increasing the MOI, or highering or lowering the COG. But that is very specific and awfully expensive. The adjustability does well at retail, but also let's a pro find a face that suits there eye by opening or close the face. 

I had been looking into this for almost a decade now.

No feasible way of doing it, unless we have a material which could be molded into the shape of a driver head.  The weight and distribution of the weight could be customized during the process of molding the head.  Should have a digital program to customize the process.  Ideally, the material should allow normal play within minutes from the molding process.

Imagine, this can custom make any spec under the Sun.   Science Fiction, I know,  at this stage.  But flying, deep sea diving........ all came from thoughts not that long ago.   

8 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Pros aren’t really looking for moi and manufactures are looking for ways to make the heads lighter so the can move it around where it’s needed because of the CT rules being maxed on the sweet spot. Pros want a certain spin and launch window more so than moi

16 minutes ago, release said:

I had been looking into this for almost a decade now.

No feasible way of doing it, unless we have a material which could be molded into the shape of a driver head.  The weight and distribution of the weight could be customized during the process of molding the head.  Should have a digital program to customize the process.  Ideally, the material should allow normal play within minutes from the molding process.

Imagine, this can custom make any spec under the Sun.   Science Fiction, I know,  at this stage.  But flying, deep sea diving........ all came from thoughts not that long ago.   

Wilson kind of did it with with 3d printing in the last iteration of driver vs driver when they were getting heads into pros hands for initial testing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Pros aren’t really looking for moi and manufactures are looking for ways to make the heads lighter so the can move it around where it’s needed because of the CT rules being maxed on the sweet spot. Pros want a certain spin and launch window more so than moi.

The easiest way to make the head lighter is to remove the adapter weight.... And when you move that weight around to not exceed CT on the sweet spot, but widen the sweet spot, you are increasing MOI.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!