TESTERS WANTED! ×

James Sieckmann’s “Your short game solution”

I’ve been struggling with my chipping all season up until the last few weeks. I’ve been using Monte S. Use the bounce 2.0 method and it’s literally hit and miss for me with the way he shows it. Enter James Sieckmann’s book which I have on kindle for a long time and decided to re- read the section about chipping. Set up instructions really helped. But what helped the most is his description of how Seve Ballesteros folded his trail arm in backswing to keep the club on plane and let gravity drop the club head to the ball. He also states that Charlie Wi does it with less folding more like Stricker or in my mind more like use the bounce 2.0. Always thought that folding the elbow on the backswing would make me to steep so never tried it till recently. Well, finally tried it and never chipped better in my life. It’s so easy now it could kick myself for not listening sooner. Just yesterday I got up and down 8 times from with in 20 yds (had bad ball striking day). An other thing that he states in the book is, and I’m paraphrasing, let the club head drop and when your club catchs up to your shoulders turn body to finish. Great book!!

8 minutes ago, Oscar10 said:

I’ve been struggling with my chipping all season up until the last few weeks. I’ve been using Monte S. Use the bounce 2.0 method and it’s literally hit and miss for me with the way he shows it. Enter James Sieckmann’s book which I have on kindle for a long time and decided to re- read the section about chipping. Set up instructions really helped. But what helped the most is his description of how Seve Ballesteros folded his trail arm in backswing to keep the club on plane and let gravity drop the club head to the ball. He also states that Charlie Wi does it with less folding more like Stricker or in my mind more like use the bounce 2.0. Always thought that folding the elbow on the backswing would make me to steep so never tried it till recently. Well, finally tried it and never chipped better in my life. It’s so easy now it could kick myself for not listening sooner. Just yesterday I got up and down 8 times from with in 20 yds (had bad ball striking day). An other thing that he states in the book is, and I’m paraphrasing, let the club head drop and when your club catchs up to your shoulders turn body to finish. Great book!!

Lots of ways to chip and pitch;  just have to find the description that resonates with you.   Hope the success continues. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was always a good chipper but James Sieckmann's short game book really helped me get to a level of confidence I really enjoy now. People I play with now comment on how I make it look so easy. So that is cool too. Of course I flub up sometimes, that is just golf, but I know it is my skill and not my technique.

There is no magic in the book, but rather a feel descriptions that resonated with me and may resonate with you.

I will also plug his putting book, which is really really good. It is much more focused on measuring your putting and improving your weak areas and not just practice your strengths. My testing showed me that I was good at everything except putts that broke right - through the measurement techniques he walks you through it became clear that I was pushing my putter head to the hole... Not to hijack your thread.

I do recommend the James Sieckmann short game book to many people I golf with, especially the young ones.

His book intro, how he had his short game all wrong when he was a touring pro and then he caddied for his older brother, who played with Seve were very valuable. If you keep practicing poor technique, you may not get as good as you would hope.

What's the overview of his technique? 

- Raj

HDCP 12
Driver - Taylormade M5 9 - HZRDUS Smoke S
Irons - Ping i200 AWT 2 stiff shafts
Wedges - Titleist Vokeys 50, 55, 60
Putter - Odyssey Fang 2 Ball

I just reread the finesse wedge section again this past weekend after 4x two chips in a prior round. Had a short sided 15’ pitch to a downslope on a par 3. Executed it perfectly with the ball landing on a mound off the green. Still rolled about 6-8’ past the hole. But it was a scramble and we got the up and down. I’ve come back to this book at least 3-4 times. The sand technique is also excellent. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Played again yesterday and had same experience that I had last time. When I walk up to the green and see my ball in chipping range I now think I’m getting up and down like every time. And mostly I do. I just set up exactly how he explains in the book, keep my lower body out of it on back  swing, fold trail arm to keep club on plane, let the club  head fall into the ball, then turn toward target when arms catch up to my shoulders. Like magic and dead simple. After a while you just get a feel for ho far to take the club back to hit your spots. Going to implement the rest of the book to the rest of my short game and will pick up his book on putting as well. My only gripe is that he doesn’t have a book on long game. LOL

• 1 year later...
On 7/28/2021 at 5:41 PM, Oscar10 said:

His books never cease to amaze me. The best who understands this area is James Sieckmann's. I wrote informative essays about him, used https://studymoose.com/essay-types/informative-essays for that. This is my idol so I study it every day. If somewhere there is a new article about him, I immediately read it. It may sound strange, but it's true.

The book is just incredible!

Edited by sharleenganerytl57

wow

Also have the book, and also need to re-read it!!

@Oscar10 great to read about your improvement 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 5 months later...