TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why do you golf?

It is my opinion that golf can easily become an obsession.  Sometimes, when I am having a particularly bad game, I wonder to myself "Why do I do this to myself".... Why do you golf?

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

Even though the pain is about the same sometimes, it beats sticking a pencil in my eye. 

I love the challenge to get better and I can physically still play to a decent level where it is fun for me.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I love being outdoors and playing a sport. I am too old to play the sports I did growing up, so golf allows me to be competitive, but also enjoy the outdoors. 

I know I will never play professionally, so I never let a bad shot bother me, I always reality check and say I am just lucky to be out here having fun.

"A glorified walk in the park" some say.

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Competition, against other golfers, and primarily against myself, and against the course I'm playing. This usually all takes place at the same time. This is a constant struggle every round and that is the ultimate trial.

Most days, i lose one or more of the competitions. Some days I win all of them and that brings joy. The loses provide opportunities for improvement and there is always the next round.

Some days you play golf and other days golf plays you.

It's a game that you just can't master. Even if you play well you can always do better. It's a sport that you can play for a very long time and even though it can be frustrating at times it is so relaxing being out on the course first thing in the morning. Nature sounds are abundant, I can look back at my footsteps in the morning dew and see how well I played the hole. I always wonder what the group a half hour behind me thinks as they see my tracks meandering up the fairway. For me golf is a stress reliever from the daily grind.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Because it is the best game ever invented. It allows for so much creativity.  What other game do you get to adjust for wind, green speed, elevation.  During a good round, there is nothing that compares to seeing the ball do what you envisioned would happen.  For example, that huge drive, that flushed 3 iron, the pitch shot that stopped on a dime… the 45’ putt that fell…

Name a more rewarding, yet difficult game. Just talking about it makes me want to go play.  And I wish I could be a golfer for my full time job. Not on Tour, just play golf full time, 6 days a week, maybe 7. Dream job.

It’s the game that feeds my competitive brain and can play anyone! It replaced a sport in baseball which I absolutely loved and I wish I started sooner!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Cheaper and more effective (for me) than therapy!!! 

This makes sense 'cause I think I read somewhere you have teenage daughters!!   🤣

(Mine just recently left the teenage years and I'm still recovering!!     😱 )

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Easy; social aspect, more fun then just walking or exercise and the challenge. Added plus it feeds my ocd nature for equipment/technology. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'd say the biggest draw for me in terms of playing golf is that every shot is a question or "problem" if you will, that requires some analysis, decision making and execution. In some ways it's like a watered down version of life with the added benefit that you see the results of your approach to each "problem" right after the shot. You take a quick evaluation of the result from your process and good or bad you're right back at it again with another setup and all new variables. I really enjoy diving into the analysis portion of the game and understanding why things happen the way that they do and ultimately just getting better on whatever level I can. 

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

Several reasons:

1. Exercise. I've always played sports but just about everything else is behind me. Except golf. It's great to get out and walk 18 a couple times a week.

2. Social. I play alone a lot, but recently I've finally found some buddies that enjoy playing and will get up early with me. Especially since joining MGS, I've met some great guys to golf with all over the area. Even though our schedules haven't matched up, I look forward to playing with all of them.

3. The Test. This has been really important to me in the last few years. I know I've always had the talent for this game, but my head always got in the way. I'm 36 so not expecting to turn pro any time soon, but I'm putting in a lot of work to be as good as I can. I figure I've got another year or so of trying this (but seeing Phil & Westy out there is giving me hope!). Playing against par is tough, buy every round I feel a little closer.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Several reasons:

1. Exercise. I've always played sports but just about everything else is behind me. Except golf. It's great to get out and walk 18 a couple times a week.

2. Social. I play alone a lot, but recently I've finally found some buddies that enjoy playing and will get up early with me. Especially since joining MGS, I've met some great guys to golf with all over the area. Even though our schedules haven't matched up, I look forward to playing with all of them.

3. The Test. This has been really important to me in the last few years. I know I've always had the talent for this game, but my head always got in the way. I'm 36 so not expecting to turn pro any time soon, but I'm putting in a lot of work to be as good as I can. I figure I've got another year or so of trying this (but seeing Phil & Westy out there is giving me hope!). Playing against par is tough, buy every round I feel a little closer.

There's always the champions tour if you keep the health up at 50!

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

Its easier to go have beers with my buddies than telling my wife I'm going to the bar. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

In addition to just liking so many aspects about it, it maintains a connection with Dad... my hero and who introduced me to the game.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Its a great challenge and an even better way to spend time with my son.  We just started a few months ago and the thrill of hitting a solid shot is intoxicating!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Golf is my escape, my meditation, my stress relief, yes I know golf can be frustrating and it’s incredibly difficult. 

To me that’s part of why I love it and I need it…once I put the first tee in the ground all of my worldly troubles disappear…..is the boss mad at me…don’t care, arguing with the wife…..she’ll still be there in 4.5 hours, money troubles…not right now, kids driving you crazy……what kids???

The only thing that matters is you, the course, your ball, your buddies and a few cold beers 😎

Oh…….and for some exercise 🤣

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I tell my buddies that my time at the range are my  "Anger Management" sessions.  Not great for scoring but great to just forget about the stressors of life.  Nothing beats flushing a 5 iron and the screaming ball telling you  "yes sir, you are right and I was wrong".  

My time on the course is different.  It's where I commune with "nature" and with friends.  Fresh air, freshly cut grass, and the sounds of mother nature.  While other travel to distant lands to get away, I just go golfing.

Taylormade SIM2 8* w/ Smoke RDX Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 15* w/ Aldila Rogue White 70x

Taylormade Stealth 19* w/ RDX Smoke Red 70x

Mizuno MP 223 w/ Nippon 120 Stiff

Bettinardi  Studio Stock 28

I've said it here many times, but again I play for three roughly equal reasons:

• I like to be outside
  • I enjoy the challenge of golf itself, but I learned to not take myself too seriously and play each shot independent of the last many years ago
  • The camaraderie of playing with golf buddies

So I truly never have a bad day when I play, I can always count on at least 2 if not 3 of 3.

And golf is a screaming bargain for me, after 25+ years owning an active 35' racing sailboat...that's expensive.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

It's a lot of things for me. Growing up I enjoyed going on the course with my father and grandfathers. At first it was just to find balls in the trees while they were golfing, maybe putt on a few greens, then I started playing a bit in my teens and had fun, but didn't want to admit it because golf "wasn't cool". Any time I'm on the course I remember both of my departed grandfathers at least once or twice, and it makes me feel connected to two men who meant a lot to me.

I also have always had something somewhat competitive in my life. Started with baseball, then moved to marching band, then roller hockey. When the doc told me I wasn't allowed to skate anymore, I needed to find something to fill that competitive itch and golf helped to do that. Plus, let's be honest - I've always suffered from GAS as a musician and golfers are right up there, so reading about new releases and tech, and trying to find solid gear deals is always fun 😄

Now for me it can be relaxation, or it can be fun time with old friends who've all picked up the game, or it can be bonding time with my son. It's just something that helps keep me grounded and happy even when I'm playing bad.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

It's a lot of things for me. Growing up I enjoyed going on the course with my father and grandfathers. At first it was just to find balls in the trees while they were golfing, maybe putt on a few greens, then I started playing a bit in my teens and had fun, but didn't want to admit it because golf "wasn't cool". Any time I'm on the course I remember both of my departed grandfathers at least once or twice, and it makes me feel connected to two men who meant a lot to me.

I also have always had something somewhat competitive in my life. Started with baseball, then moved to marching band, then roller hockey. When the doc told me I wasn't allowed to skate anymore, I needed to find something to fill that competitive itch and golf helped to do that. Plus, let's be honest - I've always suffered from GAS as a musician and golfers are right up there, so reading about new releases and tech, and trying to find solid gear deals is always fun 😄

Now for me it can be relaxation, or it can be fun time with old friends who've all picked up the game, or it can be bonding time with my son. It's just something that helps keep me grounded and happy even when I'm playing bad.

The connection is a big part. I still have a Titleist Professional 100 in my bag because it was my dad's ball in his prime.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

So many reasons for me are similar to what I just read. Nobody is going to hit my shot for me, and the challenge of plotting around the course leaves little room for the other stresses in life to surface. Therefore, it is a stress-reducing escape.

I love the good shots, and smile away the bad ones.  I enjoy learning more, trying to improve, and going back when things didn’t go right the last time.  I also love the gear and tech.

I love the space between shots, enjoying the beauty that so often surrounds golf courses.  The joking, laughing, spotting different things in nature, listening to the sounds, soaking in the sun, sharing the experience with friends all add to the enjoyment. But there’s more.

Since returning in 2019 after a break, and introducing my then 12yo, I have an entirely new appreciation for the game.  It’s all those things above, but watching my son take to the game has been incredible.  It’s a joy watching and trying to help him improve, giving each other a hard time, cheering on his good shots, helping him shake off the bad ones, one-on-one time, driving range sessions, trying new courses he hasn’t played. He has such a great attitude while playing, and has a respect for the game I admire. It thrills me to know that with a little self-care, we could be doing this for many years to come. 

Edited by Mzno
  • 4 weeks later...

I started playing golf seriously 5 years ago due to suffering some pretty decent concussion issues from mountain biking over the 10 years previous. I dabbled in swinging the arms in my early 20's with mates hacking around. 

What it's given me is a chance to escape whatever is going in my world good, bad or otherwise. A stroll under the sun or clouds, the smell of summer, being out there for those twilight sessions, it just provides so much for the mental health and exercise which I need. 

What I've grown to love is the self reliance to want to get better and to practice effectively. The ticking off of goals over the years.  Also the chance to be competitive against similar level players with graded comps and interclub. I really do love representing my club for interclub. I feel like it's a great honor. 

That's my why and how I got started. 

tenor (1).gif

How many other sports can you compete against yourself and actually get better in your 40's, 50's and beyond compared to your younger self?  I am sure I am like many here, I tore my body up in my youth, but bad knees, back, and hip, but I can still swing my clubs.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to get on a football field or play any kind of serious baseball in my 60's, but I can still swing my clubs.

Reasons have changed through the years. At first I picked up golf because I had a college job working at a Golfsmith. Picked up hitting a few clubs here and there when the store was extremely slow (not a lot of golf shopping in Colorado in Winter). From there I became friends with some co-workers and we would go once or twice a week.

After college I moved away and sort of dropped the game while trying my hand at grad school. Later I ended up being hit in a car accident that injured my left shoulder. Nothing too detrimental, but it put a stop to me playing tennis (I'm naturally left-handed but golf as if I'm right-handed). Now that my kids are just a little bit older, I've tried to get past the guilt feeling of leaving the house to do anything for myself.

So it's basically my time to be in my own head without someone else constantly needing something from me. It's like a little mental break. Definitely doesn't hurt that it's outdoors and challenging.

Driver: PXG 0811XF Gen 4 w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6- 
3 Wood: PXG 0341XF Gen 4 w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70g
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Spornia SPG-7 hitting net review
2023 Titleist White Box ProV1 review