Why do you golf?

It is my opinion that golf can easily become an obsession.  Sometimes, when I am having a particularly bad game, I wonder to myself "Why do I do this to myself".... Why do you golf?

• Like 5
  • Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 3 & GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Irons       635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter     Seemore3.jpg.f4ef99613c6f9407a7e1a0a6ce56bf3e.jpg      Seemore Si1
  • 2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.1a396eb0e7a56229c153cfe6bb5b7435.jpg

Even though the pain is about the same sometimes, it beats sticking a pencil in my eye. 

I love the challenge to get better and I can physically still play to a decent level where it is fun for me.

• Like 6

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I love being outdoors and playing a sport. I am too old to play the sports I did growing up, so golf allows me to be competitive, but also enjoy the outdoors. 

I know I will never play professionally, so I never let a bad shot bother me, I always reality check and say I am just lucky to be out here having fun.

"A glorified walk in the park" some say.

• Like 6

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:callaway-small: Hybrid: 4  Epic Flash +2*
:titelist-small: Irons:  5 - 48 T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 54*S, 58*K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Competition, against other golfers, and primarily against myself, and against the course I'm playing. This usually all takes place at the same time. This is a constant struggle every round and that is the ultimate trial.

Most days, i lose one or more of the competitions. Some days I win all of them and that brings joy. The loses provide opportunities for improvement and there is always the next round.

Some days you play golf and other days golf plays you.

• Like 6

It's a game that you just can't master. Even if you play well you can always do better. It's a sport that you can play for a very long time and even though it can be frustrating at times it is so relaxing being out on the course first thing in the morning. Nature sounds are abundant, I can look back at my footsteps in the morning dew and see how well I played the hole. I always wonder what the group a half hour behind me thinks as they see my tracks meandering up the fairway. For me golf is a stress reliever from the daily grind.  

• Like 7

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Because it is the best game ever invented. It allows for so much creativity.  What other game do you get to adjust for wind, green speed, elevation.  During a good round, there is nothing that compares to seeing the ball do what you envisioned would happen.  For example, that huge drive, that flushed 3 iron, the pitch shot that stopped on a dime… the 45’ putt that fell…

Name a more rewarding, yet difficult game. Just talking about it makes me want to go play.  And I wish I could be a golfer for my full time job. Not on Tour, just play golf full time, 6 days a week, maybe 7. Dream job.

• Like 8

It’s the game that feeds my competitive brain and can play anyone! It replaced a sport in baseball which I absolutely loved and I wish I started sooner!

• Like 5

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I find it to be a fun way to feed my competitive nature and as others have said, it's a sport you can play a lifetime. It's both therapeutic and maddening at the same time. It's also a great way to escape, if just for a while, the grind that is life. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Cheaper and more effective (for me) than therapy!!! 

This makes sense 'cause I think I read somewhere you have teenage daughters!!   🤣

(Mine just recently left the teenage years and I'm still recovering!!     😱 )

• Like 3

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Easy; social aspect, more fun then just walking or exercise and the challenge. Added plus it feeds my ocd nature for equipment/technology. 

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I'd say the biggest draw for me in terms of playing golf is that every shot is a question or "problem" if you will, that requires some analysis, decision making and execution. In some ways it's like a watered down version of life with the added benefit that you see the results of your approach to each "problem" right after the shot. You take a quick evaluation of the result from your process and good or bad you're right back at it again with another setup and all new variables. I really enjoy diving into the analysis portion of the game and understanding why things happen the way that they do and ultimately just getting better on whatever level I can. 

• Like 2

Driver: :titelist-small: - 913 D3

Wood: :callaway-small: - 3W Big Bertha Steelhead

Irons: :ping-small: - Eye 2 3-SW

Putter: :cleveland-small: - Huntington Beach SOFT 8.5

Ball: :Snell: - MTB-X 

Data: :ShotScope: - V3

Several reasons:

1. Exercise. I've always played sports but just about everything else is behind me. Except golf. It's great to get out and walk 18 a couple times a week.

2. Social. I play alone a lot, but recently I've finally found some buddies that enjoy playing and will get up early with me. Especially since joining MGS, I've met some great guys to golf with all over the area. Even though our schedules haven't matched up, I look forward to playing with all of them.

3. The Test. This has been really important to me in the last few years. I know I've always had the talent for this game, but my head always got in the way. I'm 36 so not expecting to turn pro any time soon, but I'm putting in a lot of work to be as good as I can. I figure I've got another year or so of trying this (but seeing Phil & Westy out there is giving me hope!). Playing against par is tough, buy every round I feel a little closer.

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

2 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Several reasons:

1. Exercise. I've always played sports but just about everything else is behind me. Except golf. It's great to get out and walk 18 a couple times a week.

2. Social. I play alone a lot, but recently I've finally found some buddies that enjoy playing and will get up early with me. Especially since joining MGS, I've met some great guys to golf with all over the area. Even though our schedules haven't matched up, I look forward to playing with all of them.

3. The Test. This has been really important to me in the last few years. I know I've always had the talent for this game, but my head always got in the way. I'm 36 so not expecting to turn pro any time soon, but I'm putting in a lot of work to be as good as I can. I figure I've got another year or so of trying this (but seeing Phil & Westy out there is giving me hope!). Playing against par is tough, buy every round I feel a little closer.

There's always the champions tour if you keep the health up at 50!

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: - 913 D3

Wood: :callaway-small: - 3W Big Bertha Steelhead

Irons: :ping-small: - Eye 2 3-SW

Putter: :cleveland-small: - Huntington Beach SOFT 8.5

Ball: :Snell: - MTB-X 

Data: :ShotScope: - V3

Its easier to go have beers with my buddies than telling my wife I'm going to the bar. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Epic GBB driver 10.5 turned down to 9.5 Hzruds 6.5 smoke shaft. 

Titleist U15 1 iron 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

Karsten Ping Zing putter

On 7/28/2021 at 4:27 PM, sixcat said:

Cheaper and more effective (for me) than therapy!!! 

This! So many other reasons, but a LOT of this!

• Like 2

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Golf is the quintessential sport...a metaphor for life. The only sport that truly captures the man vs. himself and the elements struggle that is the very essence of human existence. 

• Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

The challenge, always trying to improve, Im not to big on the "Competition" aspect, me against the course is my thing. The fresh air, laughs and seeing good golf by me or others is a lot of fun.

• Like 2

In addition to just liking so many aspects about it, it maintains a connection with Dad... my hero and who introduced me to the game.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

Its a great challenge and an even better way to spend time with my son.  We just started a few months ago and the thrill of hitting a solid shot is intoxicating!

• Like 4

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and Cleveland 588 56° wedges

PIng Anser putter