Why do you golf?

Golf is my escape, my meditation, my stress relief, yes I know golf can be frustrating and it’s incredibly difficult. 

To me that’s part of why I love it and I need it…once I put the first tee in the ground all of my worldly troubles disappear…..is the boss mad at me…don’t care, arguing with the wife…..she’ll still be there in 4.5 hours, money troubles…not right now, kids driving you crazy……what kids???

The only thing that matters is you, the course, your ball, your buddies and a few cold beers 😎

Oh…….and for some exercise 🤣

• Like 4

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I tell my buddies that my time at the range are my  "Anger Management" sessions.  Not great for scoring but great to just forget about the stressors of life.  Nothing beats flushing a 5 iron and the screaming ball telling you  "yes sir, you are right and I was wrong".  

My time on the course is different.  It's where I commune with "nature" and with friends.  Fresh air, freshly cut grass, and the sounds of mother nature.  While other travel to distant lands to get away, I just go golfing.

• Like 3

RH Taylormade SIM2 8* w/ Smoke RDX Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 15* w/ Aldila Rogue White 70x

Taylormade M1 19* , Fujikura 869 Stiff

Ping S55 4-PW,  TT X-100 Tour Issue

Bettinardi  Studio Stock 28

I've said it here many times, but again I play for three roughly equal reasons:

• I like to be outside
  • I enjoy the challenge of golf itself, but I learned to not take myself too seriously and play each shot independent of the last many years ago
  • The camaraderie of playing with golf buddies

So I truly never have a bad day when I play, I can always count on at least 2 if not 3 of 3.

And golf is a screaming bargain for me, after 25+ years owning an active 35' racing sailboat...that's expensive.

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

It's a lot of things for me. Growing up I enjoyed going on the course with my father and grandfathers. At first it was just to find balls in the trees while they were golfing, maybe putt on a few greens, then I started playing a bit in my teens and had fun, but didn't want to admit it because golf "wasn't cool". Any time I'm on the course I remember both of my departed grandfathers at least once or twice, and it makes me feel connected to two men who meant a lot to me.

I also have always had something somewhat competitive in my life. Started with baseball, then moved to marching band, then roller hockey. When the doc told me I wasn't allowed to skate anymore, I needed to find something to fill that competitive itch and golf helped to do that. Plus, let's be honest - I've always suffered from GAS as a musician and golfers are right up there, so reading about new releases and tech, and trying to find solid gear deals is always fun 😄

Now for me it can be relaxation, or it can be fun time with old friends who've all picked up the game, or it can be bonding time with my son. It's just something that helps keep me grounded and happy even when I'm playing bad.

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

It's a lot of things for me. Growing up I enjoyed going on the course with my father and grandfathers. At first it was just to find balls in the trees while they were golfing, maybe putt on a few greens, then I started playing a bit in my teens and had fun, but didn't want to admit it because golf "wasn't cool". Any time I'm on the course I remember both of my departed grandfathers at least once or twice, and it makes me feel connected to two men who meant a lot to me.

I also have always had something somewhat competitive in my life. Started with baseball, then moved to marching band, then roller hockey. When the doc told me I wasn't allowed to skate anymore, I needed to find something to fill that competitive itch and golf helped to do that. Plus, let's be honest - I've always suffered from GAS as a musician and golfers are right up there, so reading about new releases and tech, and trying to find solid gear deals is always fun 😄

Now for me it can be relaxation, or it can be fun time with old friends who've all picked up the game, or it can be bonding time with my son. It's just something that helps keep me grounded and happy even when I'm playing bad.

The connection is a big part. I still have a Titleist Professional 100 in my bag because it was my dad's ball in his prime.

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

So many reasons for me are similar to what I just read. Nobody is going to hit my shot for me, and the challenge of plotting around the course leaves little room for the other stresses in life to surface. Therefore, it is a stress-reducing escape.

I love the good shots, and smile away the bad ones.  I enjoy learning more, trying to improve, and going back when things didn’t go right the last time.  I also love the gear and tech.

I love the space between shots, enjoying the beauty that so often surrounds golf courses.  The joking, laughing, spotting different things in nature, listening to the sounds, soaking in the sun, sharing the experience with friends all add to the enjoyment. But there’s more.

Since returning in 2019 after a break, and introducing my then 12yo, I have an entirely new appreciation for the game.  It’s all those things above, but watching my son take to the game has been incredible.  It’s a joy watching and trying to help him improve, giving each other a hard time, cheering on his good shots, helping him shake off the bad ones, one-on-one time, driving range sessions, trying new courses he hasn’t played. He has such a great attitude while playing, and has a respect for the game I admire. It thrills me to know that with a little self-care, we could be doing this for many years to come. 

Edited by Mzno
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I started playing golf seriously 5 years ago due to suffering some pretty decent concussion issues from mountain biking over the 10 years previous. I dabbled in swinging the arms in my early 20's with mates hacking around. 

What it's given me is a chance to escape whatever is going in my world good, bad or otherwise. A stroll under the sun or clouds, the smell of summer, being out there for those twilight sessions, it just provides so much for the mental health and exercise which I need. 

What I've grown to love is the self reliance to want to get better and to practice effectively. The ticking off of goals over the years.  Also the chance to be competitive against similar level players with graded comps and interclub. I really do love representing my club for interclub. I feel like it's a great honor. 

That's my why and how I got started. 

• Like 1

tenor (1).gif

How many other sports can you compete against yourself and actually get better in your 40's, 50's and beyond compared to your younger self?  I am sure I am like many here, I tore my body up in my youth, but bad knees, back, and hip, but I can still swing my clubs.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to get on a football field or play any kind of serious baseball in my 60's, but I can still swing my clubs.

• Like 1

Reasons have changed through the years. At first I picked up golf because I had a college job working at a Golfsmith. Picked up hitting a few clubs here and there when the store was extremely slow (not a lot of golf shopping in Colorado in Winter). From there I became friends with some co-workers and we would go once or twice a week.

After college I moved away and sort of dropped the game while trying my hand at grad school. Later I ended up being hit in a car accident that injured my left shoulder. Nothing too detrimental, but it put a stop to me playing tennis (I'm naturally left-handed but golf as if I'm right-handed). Now that my kids are just a little bit older, I've tried to get past the guilt feeling of leaving the house to do anything for myself.

So it's basically my time to be in my own head without someone else constantly needing something from me. It's like a little mental break. Definitely doesn't hurt that it's outdoors and challenging.

Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL
3 Wood: Snake Eyes Viper Tour
Hybrids: Snake Eyes Viper Tour 18 and 24 deg
Irons: Srixon I-701 5-PW
Wedges: Callaway X-Forged 50, 54, and 58 deg
Putter: Yes! Marilyn