Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Unofficial TaylorMade P790 Irons Review (four months in)

GIRplus3Putt

Hello fellow MGSers,

Getting Started:

Until this past January, I had never been fit for clubs before, and was always the “I suck, what does it matter, give me the box set.” You always hear you get what you pay for, and the P790 holds true to that. At the fitting, I could immediately see the difference between a good, higher priced iron set, and a set that comes with a bag and metal woods. At the store I was seeing 20-30 more distance with each shot, and the feel was incredible. I was sold. (Side note: Major props to the team at the PGA Super Store in Myrtle Beach. They are amazing.) I got myself into some trouble at home with the $1400 price tag, but quite frankly, I took that trip to the dog house with a smile on my face.

Unboxing/First Impressions:

The 8 week wait to get my beauties seemed like 8 months! The day UPS pulled up my driveway, and the driver emerged from the back with that long, rectangle, black TaylorMade box, was up there with the birth of my children. I had worked really hard to get to a point in my life to afford something like this, so it was a proud moment. I was careful opening the box as to not gouge the contents, and to preserve the box, because the box was even beautiful. TaylorMade definitely knows presentation. The padding, positioning of the set, and everything seemed so official. They were even more beautiful than I remember at the store! Sleek, blade-like, ready for battle. I took hundreds of practice swings in my living room on that rainy day. I couldn’t wait to get out to the range!

First Time Out:

Of course, the set came at the height of the raining season here in Myrtle Beach, so I couldn’t find an open range for weeks! A total tease! I waited all this time for these clubs, and I can’t get out anywhere to hit them! Finally things started to dry out, and I go to my local range. First swing was like butter. Exactly where I wanted it to go. Hahaha I wish. I topped it and because of the rain, the ball didn’t move, and just imbedded into the grass. I had to use my divot tool to pry it out! So I got that bad shot out of the way, and the second was a beauty, right? Nope. Another duff! And another, and another, and another. Oh my gosh, I just made a $1400 mistake getting these clubs! Turns out I didn’t make a mistake. Between my fitting, and getting the clubs, I had corrected this strange wrist bend I had at address. So the set I was fit to, with an up 2 adjustment, was no longer a good fit for me. Thankfully the people at PGASS got me fixed up, and I was off to the races!

Four Months In:

So I have had the P790s for about four months now. I have been to the range almost daily, and a couple rounds a week. I went from consistent 100+ scores a few times a year in Detroit, to moving here and playing almost every day in Myrtle Beach. My scores have dropped immensely. Obviously the more play time has improved my game on its own, but the P790s have taken me to the next level. The flight of the ball is amazing, the response you get on contact is incredible, and the drop and stop I get on the greens is something I always wished for. They are holding up well too. I was worried about durability, but again, you get what you pay for. The $400 complete sets don’t last, and you see wear almost immediately. I get compliments at the course all the time on how they look, and that is often followed up with assuming they are brand new. I really hope that TaylorMade makes this line for a long time, because I will be buying these irons for as long as they sell them. 

Cons:

I thought I could come up with something for this section, but I can’t! I really don’t have a single downside to mention about these irons! Well I guess the only con is that they released the black on black on black version of the P790 about a week after I started using mine. I would have much rather had those, because they are the most beautiful clubs I have ever seen. That was a bummer.

Overall:

I am not sure about a rating scale, but I give these irons 5 out of 5. For the spirit of the game, instead of stars, I’ll go with ProVs. 5/5 ProVs. Obviously I couldn’t be happier with the P790s. All benefit with zero drawback. A solid review should be an unbiased look at a product without pulling punches. I really tired here to come up with something as a cautionary tale for a potential buyer, but I got nothing. Fantastic set from a fantastic company, and it has helped me fall in love with the game of golf. 

2B7A8957-00DD-4E8D-916C-E1A89B625882.jpeg

DAE60BCF-47B7-4603-AB5B-5C16F670CC22.jpeg

AD83A79B-851A-4F65-9EEF-A02BB201B4C5.jpeg

6B4EBE8D-8B46-467F-AB04-5DB0D7EAAD94.jpeg

Go Blue! Hail to the victors!

Great review of some incredible clubs. I had the 2017 P790s for two years, and I completely agree with you. The forgiveness, feel, and (most importantly 😂) the looks are amazing. It definitely made me fall in love with the game right along with you.

One really nice thing is that the P790 lineup is probably here to stay for a LONG time. Taylormade has made a lot of revenue off the set as they fill probably the second largest subset of handicappers. That's a pretty sweet WITB you have there.

As for the future of the clubs, there was an update to at least the P790 2 Iron spotted at The Open this year. I believe this was seen in DJs hand if I'm not mistaken:

image.png 

• Driver: image.png.c67e4844d8a191f8afb6a4e307a65ffa.png Stealth 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Graphite Design Tour AD XC-6
  • 3 Wood: image.png.a1548764b69c6d3406f6f9f1ab1acd22.png Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver
  • 2 Iron/2 Hybrid: Mizuno image.png.e2dedc2a71191940659367b8fac460ef.png MP-20 HMB, Graphite Design Tour AD; image.png.f066373041037bed32d08e715a7127f2.png Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0
  • P-4 Irons: image.png.d0a79f435e2331981ac11a33dd54e77a.png MP20, Dynamic Gold X100 
  • Wedges:  image.png.5e4bb78c97a6cf70133b4dfd9b768747.png Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M
  • My Putter: image.png.dce9f23e6ed6368fab8361d0c072c157.png B.2, LA Golf Shaft
  • Ball: image.png.0ca81de9028caab738d4428af820440f.png AVX
  • 5.3 Handicapped; Right Hander; from Salt Lake City, Utah

Love my 790s. Nice unofficial!

shat shafts did ya end up with? And did you try to order black (just curious from the picture)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_TCG said:

Great review of some incredible clubs. I had the 2017 P790s for two years, and I completely agree with you. The forgiveness, feel, and (most importantly 😂) the looks are amazing. It definitely made me fall in love with the game right along with you.

One really nice thing is that the P790 lineup is probably here to stay for a LONG time. Taylormade has made a lot of revenue off the set as they fill probably the second largest subset of handicappers. That's a pretty sweet WITB you have there.

As for the future of the clubs, there was an update to at least the P790 2 Iron spotted at The Open this year. I believe this was seen in DJs hand if I'm not mistaken:

image.png 

Oh wow a 2 iron would be amazing! I currently have 4 through approach. My usual box set clubs were always PW to 5 iron and then 4 and 3 hybrids, so I was apprehensive with going too long with the irons. I LOVE the 4 iron, and is likely my favorite club in the bag (my new Callaway driver might steal that spot (review to come for that rocket launcher)). I am circling around the idea of buying the 3 iron. It would have its work cut out to take the spot in my bag over my trusty 3 hybrid though. It’s from my last Walter Hagen box set. It is cheap looking, and absent of any sort of features, but it puts the ball where I want it. Who can ask for more than that!?

5 hours ago, JimmyBobby said:

Hello fellow MGSers,

Getting Started:

Until this past January, I had never been fit for clubs before, and was always the “I suck, what does it matter, give me the box set.” You always hear you get what you pay for, and the P790 holds true to that. At the fitting, I could immediately see the difference between a good, higher priced iron set, and a set that comes with a bag and metal woods. At the store I was seeing 20-30 more distance with each shot, and the feel was incredible. I was sold. (Side note: Major props to the team at the PGA Super Store in Myrtle Beach. They are amazing.) I got myself into some trouble at home with the $1400 price tag, but quite frankly, I took that trip to the dog house with a smile on my face.

Unboxing/First Impressions:

The 8 week wait to get my beauties seemed like 8 months! The day UPS pulled up my driveway, and the driver emerged from the back with that long, rectangle, black TaylorMade box, was up there with the birth of my children. I had worked really hard to get to a point in my life to afford something like this, so it was a proud moment. I was careful opening the box as to not gouge the contents, and to preserve the box, because the box was even beautiful. TaylorMade definitely knows presentation. The padding, positioning of the set, and everything seemed so official. They were even more beautiful than I remember at the store! Sleek, blade-like, ready for battle. I took hundreds of practice swings in my living room on that rainy day. I couldn’t wait to get out to the range!

First Time Out:

Of course, the set came at the height of the raining season here in Myrtle Beach, so I couldn’t find an open range for weeks! A total tease! I waited all this time for these clubs, and I can’t get out anywhere to hit them! Finally things started to dry out, and I go to my local range. First swing was like butter. Exactly where I wanted it to go. Hahaha I wish. I topped it and because of the rain, the ball didn’t move, and just imbedded into the grass. I had to use my divot tool to pry it out! So I got that bad shot out of the way, and the second was a beauty, right? Nope. Another duff! And another, and another, and another. Oh my gosh, I just made a $1400 mistake getting these clubs! Turns out I didn’t make a mistake. Between my fitting, and getting the clubs, I had corrected this strange wrist bend I had at address. So the set I was fit to, with an up 2 adjustment, was no longer a good fit for me. Thankfully the people at PGASS got me fixed up, and I was off to the races!

Four Months In:

So I have had the P790s for about four months now. I have been to the range almost daily, and a couple rounds a week. I went from consistent 100+ scores a few times a year in Detroit, to moving here and playing almost every day in Myrtle Beach. My scores have dropped immensely. Obviously the more play time has improved my game on its own, but the P790s have taken me to the next level. The flight of the ball is amazing, the response you get on contact is incredible, and the drop and stop I get on the greens is something I always wished for. They are holding up well too. I was worried about durability, but again, you get what you pay for. The $400 complete sets don’t last, and you see wear almost immediately. I get compliments at the course all the time on how they look, and that is often followed up with assuming they are brand new. I really hope that TaylorMade makes this line for a long time, because I will be buying these irons for as long as they sell them. 

Cons:

I thought I could come up with something for this section, but I can’t! I really don’t have a single downside to mention about these irons! Well I guess the only con is that they released the black on black on black version of the P790 about a week after I started using mine. I would have much rather had those, because they are the most beautiful clubs I have ever seen. That was a bummer.

Overall:

I am not sure about a rating scale, but I give these irons 5 out of 5. For the spirit of the game, instead of stars, I’ll go with ProVs. 5/5 ProVs. Obviously I couldn’t be happier with the P790s. All benefit with zero drawback. A solid review should be an unbiased look at a product without pulling punches. I really tired here to come up with something as a cautionary tale for a potential buyer, but I got nothing. Fantastic set from a fantastic company, and it has helped me fall in love with the game of golf. 

2B7A8957-00DD-4E8D-916C-E1A89B625882.jpeg

DAE60BCF-47B7-4603-AB5B-5C16F670CC22.jpeg

AD83A79B-851A-4F65-9EEF-A02BB201B4C5.jpeg

6B4EBE8D-8B46-467F-AB04-5DB0D7EAAD94.jpeg

Nice “unofficial” review. 
I had hit these clubs just B4 Covid hit and loved them.  Unfortunately didn’t follow up.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Love my 790s. Nice unofficial!

shat shafts did ya end up with? And did you try to order black (just curious from the picture)

Thank you! I realized I didn’t include specs when I was done writing the post, but I figured me gushing over these clubs was long enough. PGA SS fitted me to the Nippon NS Pro 950 T shafts. I went with 4 through Approach. My other response explains why I went that route. 

I started to work something out with PGA SS to swap out my 790s for the black ones, but I thought better of it. PGA SS has a thing called 90 day playability. If you get fit, and purchase with them, they give you 90 days to use them, and if you aren’t happy, you can bring the clubs in and do a one time exchange. Which is really cool, and gives you piece of mind you are making the right choice. The only issue was my clubs were supposed to deliver in 4 weeks, but it took 8. I didn’t want to turn in mine, and potentially have to take 8 weeks off waiting for the new ones. Especially with the momentum and progress I was carrying at the time. The thought did cross my mind to buy the black set too, but I wouldn’t have survived the hell storm my wife would have brought down on me to even enjoy them! Maybe down the road I’ll have those beauties in my possession. 

18 hours ago, GolfSpy_TCG said:

image.png 

So I have been looking at this picture, and they must be changing the look of the P790? If you couldn’t see P790 stamped on that club, you would guess it was one. That looks more like a P7MB than anything. Don’t get me wrong though, I love the new look. It’s even cleaner than before. 

1 hour ago, GIRplus3Putt said:

So I have been looking at this picture, and they must be changing the look of the P790? If you couldn’t see P790 stamped on that club, you would guess it was one. That looks more like a P7MB than anything. Don’t get me wrong though, I love the new look. It’s even cleaner than before. 

So this is the driving iron, but I think you will end up seeing later this year the announcement that this is the look of the '21 P790s. They released the first ones in '17 and Gen 2 in '19. So every two years makes sense. I wouldn't be sad about your purchase though. Watch any review on the '19s. Everyone says they are extremely similar to the '17s! I have the 2017 P790s and they still to this day feel incredible.

• Driver: image.png.c67e4844d8a191f8afb6a4e307a65ffa.png Stealth 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Graphite Design Tour AD XC-6
  • 3 Wood: image.png.a1548764b69c6d3406f6f9f1ab1acd22.png Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver
  • 2 Iron/2 Hybrid: Mizuno image.png.e2dedc2a71191940659367b8fac460ef.png MP-20 HMB, Graphite Design Tour AD; image.png.f066373041037bed32d08e715a7127f2.png Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0
  • P-4 Irons: image.png.d0a79f435e2331981ac11a33dd54e77a.png MP20, Dynamic Gold X100 
  • Wedges:  image.png.5e4bb78c97a6cf70133b4dfd9b768747.png Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_TCG said:

So this is the driving iron, but I think you will end up seeing later this year the announcement that this is the look of the '21 P790s. They released the first ones in '17 and Gen 2 in '19. So every two years makes sense. I wouldn't be sad about your purchase though. Watch any review on the '19s. Everyone says they are extremely similar to the '17s! I have the 2017 P790s and they still to this day feel incredible.

Oh gotcha. I did notice on the TM website that the P790 is a silhouette and not available. Getting ready for the big reveal. I don’t think I will ever be sad about these irons. I just fall victim of FOMO all the time. If I had a little more disposable income, or a little dumber, I would be buying the new version of everything I own! I am tempted often. Especially with golf stuff! 

16 hours ago, GIRplus3Putt said:

Oh gotcha. I did notice on the TM website that the P790 is a silhouette and not available. Getting ready for the big reveal. I don’t think I will ever be sad about these irons. I just fall victim of FOMO all the time. If I had a little more disposable income, or a little dumber, I would be buying the new version of everything I own! I am tempted often. Especially with golf stuff! 

I have the P790s, P770s, and Callaway Apex Pros right now, so I either fall into the disposable income or the little dumber camp 🤣

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_TCG said:

I have the P790s, P770s, and Callaway Apex Pros right now, so I either fall into the disposable income or the little dumber camp 🤣

Hahah don’t short yourself. You can be in both if you prefer! I see it all too often!