At What Length are you Trying to Hole A Putt?

I try to make everything, dying it into the hole. What should I reasonably expect to make? That's the good question. I was going over this with my pro. We all know 8 foot is the 50% mark for the PGA. Well we're not PGA, I'm a 4. So what is the break-even point? It's between 4-5 feet. That's what I should reasonably expect to make.

• Like 3

Take Dead Aim

11 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I try to make everything, dying it into the hole. What should I reasonably expect to make? That's the good question. I was going over this with my pro. We all know 8 foot is the 50% mark for the PGA. Well we're not PGA, I'm a 4. So what is the break-even point? It's between 4-5 feet. That's what I should reasonably expect to make.

Yeah, trying to make and expecting to make are two vastly different things.  I know at least one 15-handicapper who gets disgusted when he misses a 20-footer by an inch.  But he's a doofus.

• Haha 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I try all putts inside 20 feet. Mainly because that's where my par scrambles end up. I also feel it's reasonable. I don't practice my putting at all, so it gets dicey at times when I have a misread

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I’ll disagree with you a little,  putting is probably the one place that we can come close to matching a pros performance.  Obviously it does require practice so if you don’t practice you 4-5 for range might be acceptable. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, trying to make and expecting to make are two vastly different things.  I know at least one 15-handicapper who gets disgusted when he misses a 20-footer by an inch.  But he's a doofus.

you know my brother in law?

• Haha 1

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

9 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

you know my brother in law?

If he's a retired airline pilot living in Virginia, maybe I do.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm just picking this one because it seems representative of many.  No matter how good you are, you're always going to have some variation in distance.  You'll hit some longer than you intend to, and some shorter.  That variability, the size of your "scatter pattern" will increase with increasing length of putt.  I used 10% of the length of the putt in my earlier post, I think that's a reasonable goal for most of us.  

Dave, I understand what you're saying.  If one doesn't have reasonable control of distance when putting, they're going to leave it short or go long regardless of whether the target is 4.25 inch circle or a 3 foot circle....this is exactly why I spend a lot of my putting practice focusing solely on distance control and not how many times I can putt a ball into a hole standing in the same spot like I see so many recreational players do.  Does this mean that I will always hit my putt at the correct speed?  Of course not.   I'm still focusing on hitting the ball the correct distance as you are with your 10% rule or someone putting using the 3 foot radius concept.  Generally, I have pretty good control and end up with a reasonable next putt.  Sometimes I hit it too soft or too hard and I walk away with that 3 putt.  So do those that putt to a 3 foot circle.  

For me (and I emphasize "for me"), narrowing my focus to a smaller point helps me focus better than just having a general area to finish.  When I practice putting, I choose to putt to hit a tee peg.  When I am chipping, I pick out a spot where I'd like the ball to land and focus on that.  When I stand on the tee box or am hitting to the green, I choose a landing area rather than accepting the entire fairway or the entire green as my acceptable place to land.  I realize that I'm not going to hit those points every time, or even a small percentage of times.  However, my choosing a smaller place to focus, I am able to increase my percentage of the end result being reasonably close to what I was looking to achieve.

Should you expect to make every putt?  No, but focusing to try to make every putt is very reasonable (again, to me).

The only putt that I expect to make EVERY time is the one where my opponent said "that's good"!!!!  

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

I’ll disagree with you a little,  putting is probably the one place that we can come close to matching a pros performance.  Obviously it does require practice so if you don’t practice you 4-5 for range might be acceptable. 

No need to disagree, I follow the logic. We can't hit it 320, but with practice we can scrape it around with the best of them.

• Like 1

Take Dead Aim

All of them!!

I try to make everything, but the key is to leave the next putt in the 2 foot range….why would you not try to make them all?

• Like 3

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

So, what if the practice green rolls waaay faster than on the course?  Seems counterintuitive to practice on something that is not the same as what you are going to play on?

Sure. The technique practice is invaluable, but warming up pre round?  I think that would cause me more issues than it would help.

22 minutes ago, Shankster said:

So, what if the practice green rolls waaay faster than on the course?  Seems counterintuitive to practice on something that is not the same as what you are going to play on?

Sure. The technique practice is invaluable, but warming up pre round?  I think that would cause me more issues than it would help.

Simple. You know how far a ball rolls if you take the putter back to inside of trail foot and have normal follow thru, same if you take it to mid foot or outside of foot. Now when you get on the course you adjust length based on speed of greens. 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

29 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Same with varying green speeds while on the course.  Greens roll different speeds based on time of day and sun exposure.     Doesn't always work,  but you roll it on the practice green to hope you get your speed dialed in with what the course is playing; verifies the feels for the day.  

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That was just hypothetical.  I haven’t taken a single warm up shot/putt and only like 3 practice swings since May.

Ive never been much for warm up putts.  Never enjoyed that part of the game, but as the pieces come together, I need to figure out how to maximize my efforts on the green.

Have been putting in a little practice, but not in the areas I need to focus on.  30 minutes from the range, and completely our of the way makes it difficult to set aside the time.

That’s why I am looking forward to that simulator.  Practice every day on full shots. I could hit up to a full 58° without losing a ball out in the yard.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 5:59 PM, Shankster said:

I’d first like to thank @cnosil for showing me the Manalo golf Instagram account.  I got about 2 hours worth of laughs in, some of his stuff is a little over the top, but over all has some pretty good basic information, and some ok entertainment.  Haha.

One of his tips was to make a 3’ hole around the stick to aim your longer putts.  I used to to this, but have since moved to trying to hole this long putts.  I usually overshoot them and have a long comebacker…

Last round, anything over 15’ I used that method again, and it seemed to leave me in a lot better spot. At what point do you aim to hole the putt?  Obviously, we would all like to do this every time. 

Do you have a distance where you really lock in?

Although I read and line up every putt like I intend for it to go in, I'm not REALLY trying to hole a putt until I get inside of 10'. Through my practice routine I feel like my confident make distance is 6'. That's where my make rate is above 50% in practice.

• Like 2

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

This is interesting.  I feel like putting is so mental already and I can certainly attest to trying the smallest mental changes and seeing real differences.  

I am a good, but not great putter.  I feel as though, my green reading is fair and my distance control is usually pretty good.  However, I definitely don't feel I make as many putts as I should.  Lately, I've probably been focused too much on line rather than let's make this. 

It's probably 20' and in for me that I think I have a chance to make it if I put a good stroke and read to it.

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Simple. You know how far a ball rolls if you take the putter back to inside of trail foot and have normal follow thru, same if you take it to mid foot or outside of foot. Now when you get on the course you adjust length based on speed of greens. 

This is the method I use for speed control as well and it's been huge for my distance the past few years.  Once I get past around 50', it's a bit tougher to distinguish, but agree this is a good and reliable method to use if you can get your tempo on track.

• Like 3

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

There's a lot of "it depends" with this answer. 

If I am putting with the normal amount of 'feel' that day & there isn't a crazy amount of break then 15' is about where I am disappointed if it doesn't go in and not surprised if it does go in.  

If I am having a bad day figuring out the speed or my stroke is off or trouble reading grain and break that distance will come down to 5'.

Even on a good putting day when the cup looks like a basketball hoop 15' would be the max.

I have straight putt marks on my putting green marked at 5', 10', 15' & 20' and I regularly hit putts from each spot.  When really concentrating I can stay above 50% up to the 15' mark but drop off to about 20% at the 20' mark.

• Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Realistically anything inside of 15 feet I am trying to drain. At 50 feet I try to put it within a 3 foot circle. Tends to relax forearms and promote a better stroke.

Using Cure CX3 putter

48 minutes ago, juspoole said:

This is interesting.  I feel like putting is so mental already and I can certainly attest to trying the smallest mental changes and seeing real differences.  

I am a good, but not great putter.  I feel as though, my green reading is fair and my distance control is usually pretty good.  However, I definitely don't feel I make as many putts as I should.  Lately, I've probably been focused too much on line rather than let's make this. 

It's probably 20' and in for me that I think I have a chance to make it if I put a good stroke and read to it.

This is the method I use for speed control as well and it's been huge for my distance the past few years.  Once I get past around 50', it's a bit tougher to distinguish, but agree this is a good and reliable method to use if you can get your tempo on track.

You have to practice making putts as much as you do practice speed and line. When I had dedicated time to short game back in 2015/16 the instructor I went two had me doing two drills with a goal for each drill.

For distance and speed it was set a 3’ putting circle around a hole and place 5 balls in line starting at 8’ then go out 4’ for each ball and use 4 locations are kind the hole so 8,12,16,20, 24’ at 12,3,6,9 oclock, goal was to have 10 balls inside the circle. The other was 2 balls in same clock positions with one ball at 4’ and the other at 5w’. Goal was to make 6 of 8 putts 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, PJVicary said:

Realistically anything inside of 15 feet I am trying to drain. At 50 feet I try to put it within a 3 foot circle. Tends to relax forearms and promote a better stroke. Good putting comes with confidence and confidence through practice. 

B360222A-EEFD-4A50-8312-5E197A98E518.jpeg.f01fa0dfdacc71bc1cdf8e9c005d61da.jpeg

• Like 1

Using Cure CX3 putter

11 hours ago, Shankster said:

Lol you got that right. I don't know how many times I've gone to practice putt and the practice green is wildly different speed then the course.

However, I find that's it's easier to have to hit putts harder once I get on the course. So I have a BirdieBall mat that's supposed to be between 9-11 stimp. My course is probably 6 or 7, and like 4 if there's dew. 

Take Dead Aim