Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Head Weight / Swing Feel

Hi all,

I have a Taylormade 2008 Burner TP I believe in a mid-firm stock shaft. I am currently off 5.2 index, swing at 115 - 125 mph and hit anywhere between 270 - 310 carry depending on the strike; though they are not always even close to the line I want haha. Everything in my bag is relatively new except my burner driver and 3 wood which I just can't seem to find replacements for.

I know I need heavy stiff or X stiff, but I am struggling in my fittings at American golf etc to feel the head at the end of the shaft at all. I am not sure why but no matter the shaft I am struggling to know where my club face is, it just feels like there is nothing on the end of the stick once I get swinging and when I connect with the ball the feeling is just a hollow ting feeling. I tried the RAD speed and the SIM 2 and just really didn't feel connected at all. 

Are there specific heads out there which are heavier and if so, which are they? I have heard the TS2 might be a bit more solid?

Thanks, 

Ben
  • Driver: Taylormade 2007 Burner TP 9.5* Mid-Firm Stock
  • 3W: Taylormade 2008 Burner 15* Stiff Stock
  • 4H: Ping G410 22* Stiff Alta
  • 7H: Cobra F-Max Airspeed 31* Reg 
  • 4 - PW: P7MC 1* Flat 120 Nippon Modus (5 iron stays at home).
  • AW / SW: MD5 Jaws 1* Flat, 50* bent to 52*, and 56*. S200 - S Grind. 
  • LW: Mack Daddy CB, S200 - W Grind.
  • Odyssey White Hot OG F7. 

I believe the Ping G410 heads are comparatively heavier (~205g) and you can get different head weights to swap in on the club to make it even heavier.  I went the other direction this past winter going from the single 14g weight to a 6g and 3.5g to bring the swingweight down to a D2 (going by memory). 

I had changed shafts from stock to an Accra making the SW about a D5 which was too heavy for my swing feels.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Thanks for the reply - is the Ping G410 head heavier than the G425? My playing partner has that and that feels very light too. 

So I guess I will need to find a head with plenty of adjustment weights that I can throw on then? 

That's the thing, swing weight through a heavier shaft I find doesn't necessarily make me feel like there's extra weight at the bottom, do I need a tipped shaft perhaps? 

30 minutes ago, Mehcookies said:
Hi all,

I have a Taylormade 2008 Burner TP I believe in a mid-firm stock shaft. I am currently off 5.2 index, swing at 115 - 125 mph and hit anywhere between 270 - 310 carry depending on the strike; though they are not always even close to the line I want haha. Everything in my bag is relatively new except my burner driver and 3 wood which I just can't seem to find replacements for.

I know I need heavy stiff or X stiff, but I am struggling in my fittings at American golf etc to feel the head at the end of the shaft at all. I am not sure why but no matter the shaft I am struggling to know where my club face is, it just feels like there is nothing on the end of the stick once I get swinging and when I connect with the ball the feeling is just a hollow ting feeling. I tried the RAD speed and the SIM 2 and just really didn't feel connected at all. 

Are there specific heads out there which are heavier and if so, which are they? I have heard the TS2 might be a bit more solid?

Thanks, 

Ben

I have a Cobra that’s 220, but I have every single weight they make for that head. If you can’t get weights, you can always add weight with hot melt. I’ve had that done numerous times with great success.

Ping G425 is generally accepted as having the heaviest head this year.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

5 minutes ago, Mehcookies said:

Thanks for the reply - is the Ping G410 head heavier than the G425? My playing partner has that and that feels very light too. 

So I guess I will need to find a head with plenty of adjustment weights that I can throw on then? 

That's the thing, swing weight through a heavier shaft I find doesn't necessarily make me feel like there's extra weight at the bottom, do I need a tipped shaft perhaps? 

As one shortens a shaft, extra weight must be added to the head to keep the same swing weight. A longer shaft will make the head feel heavier…

Honestly, the easiest thing to do is go buy a roll of lead tape and add some to the heads you’re trying. Very easy to get the feel you want that way!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

9 minutes ago, Mehcookies said:

Heavier shaft doesn’t necessarily change the swing weight.  The best way to increase swing weight is to add more weight to the head. Most manufacturers sell heavier weights to swap with the stock weights.  Or you could go the route if hot melt.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think you are going to need to experiment at a fitter that can swap in different shafts on different heads to get the feel you want.  

Heavier shafts and counterbalanced shafts will lighten the SW compared to relatively lighter shafts.  The stock Evenflow in my G410 with a 14g weight had a D2 swingweight, swapping in the Accra made it about a D5, lighter weights in the head brought it back to a D2.  I experimented with it over the winter at a trackman simulator to get the feel and performance I wanted then verified it on the course when things warmed up.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Thank you all for the comments. 

First of all it doesn't look pretty if I thought the Ping G425 was light and it's the heaviest of the year lol. 

It seems that a combination of heavier than standard weights, and a slightly longer shaft might do the trick? 

Something about having lead tape on my driver doesn't sit right but I guess if that was the only way to get the results I am looking for I would have to attempt it! 

Agreed - I might have to book into somewhere a bit more technical than my local American golf I suspect! 

2 hours ago, Mehcookies said:

Thank you all for the comments. 

First of all it doesn't look pretty if I thought the Ping G425 was light and it's the heaviest of the year lol. 

It seems that a combination of heavier than standard weights, and a slightly longer shaft might do the trick? 

Something about having lead tape on my driver doesn't sit right but I guess if that was the only way to get the results I am looking for I would have to attempt it! 

Lead tape it to get the feel you want then get a head weight that matches up with what you added so you can get rid of the tape if you don't like the look. 

That's a very good idea actually thank you!