TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf as a New Dad

Hello Everyone,

I am the proud father of two beautiful girls one almost 4 and the other 3 months old. I have moved on from other sports, mainly baseball and soccer after playing most of my life since becoming a father of 2. With that said the desire for a competitive game to play and measure my improvements against has resurfaced and lead me to golf. Anyone with kids can tell you how hectic life can be with little ones. With that said the question I pose to the Golf Spy Community is, how do you find time to play or practice golf as a father? How have your expectations shifted from before children to after children in regards to golf? How has your relationship with golf shifted as your children grew older and started to enter school and even leaving the house? I could go to the range and beat balls and practice chips until the cows come home but I often find higher priority responsibilities pulling me away at our families current stage in life. I've attached some pictures of my eldest and I's latest escapades on the course just trying to get her out there with me and learn some of rules as well as just enjoying being out on the golf course. 

Tell me how you balance your golf life, family and all of life's responsibilities.  

IMG-3121.JPG

IMG-3122.JPG

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

My kids are my top priority, so I only choose to play golf when they are sleeping, at a friend's house or my wife has taken them somewhere.

I usually sacrifice sleep, wake up at 5, tee off at 6, finish 18 by 9 and be home by 10 on weekends. Kids are probably just waking up and we can still have breakfast together.

Other times, if the kids feel like smacking balls on the range, we go together. Sometimes my daughter just likes to run around, so I play 9 holes while she walks with me.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

13 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

My kids are my top priority, so I only choose to play golf when they are sleeping, at a friend's house or my wife has taken them somewhere.

I usually sacrifice sleep, wake up at 5, tee off at 6, finish 18 by 9 and be home by 10 on weekends. Kids are probably just waking up and we can still have breakfast together.

Other times, if the kids feel like smacking balls on the range, we go together. Sometimes my daughter just likes to run around, so I play 9 holes while she walks with me.

Yes it seems the only time available for golf these days is around sunrise and the occasional session with the little one. She currently is obsessed with the golf cart portion of the experience and often won't even follow me up onto the green but rather hang around and explore the cart. 

My son (first child) was born last year, so I have had a recent adjustment. Golf is the one thing that really allows me to reset as I get time with friends, time outdoors with no computer/phone, and time to compete (with myself and with friends/playing partners). For that reason, as much as possible, I have sacrificed any other social life that existed pre-kids rather than sacrificing golf since it can check a lot of boxes for me. My wife has also been very supportive as she knows that the "reset" really helps me be the best dad/husband/corporate stooge the rest of the week. I try to make it up to her by making sure she has solo time in the evenings. Even with that, I went from playing 45-55 times per year plus at least one range session each week (I live in San Diego so was playing almost every weekend throughout the year), to 20 rounds, with probably 15 range sessions, in his first 12 months. Handicap has gone from a 5.0 up to almost 9 before dipping back just below 8 recently. On one hand, it is very frustrating to watch yourself get worse at golf, but on the other hand I am really stressing a lot less about my scores and focusing on enjoying the time I do get, which has been refreshing. 

Logistically I did two things: First, I joined a club back in January that was offering a good Jr. Executive deal. I am definitely not "breaking even" financially, but the course is 10 mins from my house so I am able to get a full 18 holes in and be back at the house within about 4:30-4:45 after leaving, compared to really a minimum of 6 hours out of the house for the public tracks I was playing at (between longer commutes and slow weekend play on completely stacked courses). 

The other thing I did was put a putting green over a small dirt patch in my side yard. I am having fun playing around with my son, who loves holding his little plastic club and swatting at the ball, and also enjoy a good 15 mins most evenings after he has been put to bed just grooving my stroke while turning my brain off.

I would imagine the second kid whenever that does happen will be another even bigger reduction in the amount of golf I will play (and will get rid of the club membership), but I will cross that bridge when I get there!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

That's awesome to hear and playing back and forth off of each other is really great with the wife as it ensures everyone gets their own reset/recharge time. It certainly gets a little tougher with two as it turns into swapping kids with each other but that's a different story for another time. Having a club that close by seems great as well just for being to pop in and out as quick as someone could within reason playing 18 holes. I've been thinking of setting up a hitting station in the backyard just to get some time in while the kiddos sleep or maybe early in the morning as the sun comes up but good on you for getting out there and playing as much as you do. 

I am definitely lucky, I know that - It has been terrible in a hundred other ways, but the pandemic actually helped my golf frequency in that there has been minimal social obligations or travel since my son was born, so most weekends are free.

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

I have one. I've been able to play twice a week, an occasional third round. I tee off at sunup on Sat & Sun. Luckily I've been at home through all of COVID-19 and my wife works for herself out of the house. So I can still get to the course. The problem is practice time. I bought a BirdieBall mat so putting while the kid sleeps has been easy. I've been to the driving range once this year, not that I was much of a range rat anyways. Once they're old enough, I'm getting clubs in their hands.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I have one. I've been able to play twice a week, an occasional third round. I tee off at sunup on Sat & Sun. Luckily I've been at home through all of COVID-19 and my wife works for herself out of the house. So I can still get to the course. The problem is practice time. I bought a BirdieBall mat so putting while the kid sleeps has been easy. I've been to the driving range once this year, not that I was much of a range rat anyways. Once they're old enough, I'm getting clubs in their hands.

Yes hopefully I can get two more golfers in the family as they grow older. The older one is just happy to play outside in general so it's an easy sell getting her to come out to the course with Dad. 

1 hour ago, TheProfessor02 said:

Yes hopefully I can get two more golfers in the family as they grow older. The older one is just happy to play outside in general so it's an easy sell getting her to come out to the course with Dad. 

I've been playing one course for a few years and have got to know the pro well. He already let's my wife come walk along with me, so I hope he lets me being the little one once their old enough.

Take Dead Aim

I have shifted to a lot more driving range and 9 hole rounds than ever before.  Since COVID and work from home, I'll have the ability to do this over my lunch hour.  I think I've played once this golf season on the weekend.  When I was going into work normally, I just didn't get to play all that much. 

I have 6, 5, and 3 year old kids and just this past 18 months have been able to play golf like I could when it was just my oldest child (but that's daytime during the week).  For the other 5 year period, my rounds were around 12 for the year.  If I could get out once every 2/3 weeks, I was happy, but expectations were much different.  You might throw in another range session in between.  I also was trying to play as much as possible through work events too lol.

It looks like you already bring your 4 year old to the course at times, which would be one suggestion. 

Next is to try and get short practice sessions in during the work week if possible and/or 9 hole rounds.

Last would be to invest in a hitting net and some type of monitor (rapsodo or skytrak/mevo) so you have some data behind it.  This has been huge for me so that after winter is over I can hit the ground running.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

5 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I have shifted to a lot more driving range and 9 hole rounds than ever before.  Since COVID and work from home, I'll have the ability to do this over my lunch hour.  I think I've played once this golf season on the weekend.  When I was going into work normally, I just didn't get to play all that much. 

I have 6, 5, and 3 year old kids and just this past 18 months have been able to play golf like I could when it was just my oldest child (but that's daytime during the week).  For the other 5 year period, my rounds were around 12 for the year.  If I could get out once every 2/3 weeks, I was happy, but expectations were much different.  You might throw in another range session in between.  I also was trying to play as much as possible through work events too lol.

It looks like you already bring your 4 year old to the course at times, which would be one suggestion. 

Next is to try and get short practice sessions in during the work week if possible and/or 9 hole rounds.

Last would be to invest in a hitting net and some type of monitor (rapsodo or skytrak/mevo) so you have some data behind it.  This has been huge for me so that after winter is over I can hit the ground running.

I think it may be time to consider the net & Rapsodo for myself too.

Btw I think it's great there's so many of us in the same boat here. Let's keep the support and ideas flowing. All dad's need golf

Take Dead Aim

I've also been lucky that my work has been at home since March 2020. And from Oct-Dec 2019, I only went in 1 day a week. I wish my work would let us know if there's a long term plan to work from home, or split scheduling. If I could work from home permanent, I would alter my hours so I could go play during the week instead of Sat-Sun.

I do IT and data support. My company has 15 offices around the US, so the only person I talk to on a regular basis in my office is my direct supervisor.

Take Dead Aim

I have a 20 month old and it hasn't been easy to find time to play or practice.  At first there were the sort of obvious things that prevented me from playing, e.g. a newborn that required full time attention from my wife and myself.  Plus, watching what my wife went through to bring that wonderful little girl into the world made me want to do my fair share and not just leave her to fend for herself on the weekends.   Then as my daughter got a little older and more aware it became pretty obvious that she did not appreciate me being gone for five hours on the weekends.  No joke, it was heartbreaking to be getting ready to leave for a round with her toddler around behind me saying "up, up".  Because, of this I way scaled back on playing.  Dropping to maybe a round a month while using the big afternoon naps to sneak away to the range so that my game didn't go completely to crap.  It wasn't a big deal because like others said she was far and away my first priority. 

Still, I spent an inordinately large amount of time thinking about playing more until I realized a few things:  the first is that I am self-employed and have total control over my own schedule.  This means that I now have the ability to play during the week.  So once a week I'll find a tee time that's either junk time after a client meeting or I`ll just walk on to a course if I'm in the area.   I've actually found that it makes me more productive to scratch the itch than if i was just sitting at my desk grinding away wishing I could play.  The second is that I drive by my home course to drop my daughter off at daycare.  So, I practice and get my range time in once a week after I drop her off.  Third, this is the only hobby I have that I truly care about anymore so I've dropped some stuff that takes away both golf and family time.   It's been win win aside from not playing with my buddies as often.  I realize that I'm luckier than most to do this, but  the point is that I only hit upon these things after I started to try and figure out how to carve time out that didn't take away from time I spent with my wife and daughter.  You may not be able to play as ,much as I can, bit I guarantee there's a few slack hours that you can carve out for range time.  

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

When my children were young I made the most out of the day by being able to practice at home. I put in a golf green and a permanent hitting net. When they took a nap I could walk out the door and practice with baby monitor in tow. With nothing to put up or take down I could be practicing in less than 5 minutes. Saturday morning I would go early and play with friends. I would get home by noonish and take over and my wife could go do things she wanted to do. 

As they got older it got easier for me. We belong to a country club and the kids would go to the pool, take swimming, tennis, or golf lessons. That would be my time to play. Eventually I would take them out on the course for a couple of holes. The important thing is to let them find their own passion. My daughter decided that golf was not for her. She is 18 now and doesn't play. Golf was to slow for her. She enjoyed basketball, volleyball, and track and is a gifted athlete in all. She is going to college with a track scholarship and qualified for the Jr. Olympics. My son didn't enjoy golf until right before he went into high school and decided he wanted to be on the golf team. We had to scramble for a year to get him good enough to make the team. He had the basics but that was it. He made the team played for 4 years then stopped for a year. Now goes and plays with his friends. He is about to turn 20. I found that if you try to push them into something it will backfire. I let them try anything they wanted and let them tell me what they liked. Funny how kids are. My daughter wanted to be a cheerleader. After 1 season she said she would rather have people cheer for her. Then she joined the basketball team. She played a sport every season. No breaks for us or her. She is driven to be the best where as my son just wanted to be part of a team. So it was baseball and golf for him.

Obviously now I can play whenever I want. My daughter leaves for college in two weeks. Sort of an empty nest coming up. Enjoy the time you have while raising them. Let them find their passion and support them. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

12 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I've been playing one course for a few years and have got to know the pro well. He already let's my wife come walk along with me, so I hope he lets me being the little one once their old enough.

From my brief experiences most if not everyone is happy to see her on the course getting them started young as she's having fun but follows etiquette well. 

2 hours ago, juspoole said:

Yes I can occasionally go during my lunch break and chip a few balls and putt but I think up next would be to get a hitting net at home to take some practice shots when I have the off free time around the house. 

2 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I have a 20 month old and it hasn't been easy to find time to play or practice.  At first there were the sort of obvious things that prevented me from playing, e.g. a newborn that required full time attention from my wife and myself.  Plus, watching what my wife went through to bring that wonderful little girl into the world made me want to do my fair share and not just leave her to fend for herself on the weekends.   Then as my daughter got a little older and more aware it became pretty obvious that she did not appreciate me being gone for five hours on the weekends.  No joke, it was heartbreaking to be getting ready to leave for a round with her toddler around behind me saying "up, up".  Because, of this I way scaled back on playing.  Dropping to maybe a round a month while using the big afternoon naps to sneak away to the range so that my game didn't go completely to crap.  It wasn't a big deal because like others said she was far and away my first priority. 

Still, I spent an inordinately large amount of time thinking about playing more until I realized a few things:  the first is that I am self-employed and have total control over my own schedule.  This means that I now have the ability to play during the week.  So once a week I'll find a tee time that's either junk time after a client meeting or I`ll just walk on to a course if I'm in the area.   I've actually found that it makes me more productive to scratch the itch than if i was just sitting at my desk grinding away wishing I could play.  The second is that I drive by my home course to drop my daughter off at daycare.  So, I practice and get my range time in once a week after I drop her off.  Third, this is the only hobby I have that I truly care about anymore so I've dropped some stuff that takes away both golf and family time.   It's been win win aside from not playing with my buddies as often.  I realize that I'm luckier than most to do this, but  the point is that I only hit upon these things after I started to try and figure out how to carve time out that didn't take away from time I spent with my wife and daughter.  You may not be able to play as ,much as I can, bit I guarantee there's a few slack hours that you can carve out for range time.  

Yeah the biggest thing is making sure the family is taken care of. My wife stays at home watching the two kids so I don't really like to go off and play on the weekends and leaving her with the kids which only allows me to play when family comes to visit or for the occasional office events. I'm hoping as the new little one gets a bit older the schedule will open up for us both to still get in quality time and each have a hobby of our own.

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

When my children were young I made the most out of the day by being able to practice at home. I put in a golf green and a permanent hitting net. When they took a nap I could walk out the door and practice with baby monitor in tow. With nothing to put up or take down I could be practicing in less than 5 minutes. Saturday morning I would go early and play with friends. I would get home by noonish and take over and my wife could go do things she wanted to do. 

As they got older it got easier for me. We belong to a country club and the kids would go to the pool, take swimming, tennis, or golf lessons. That would be my time to play. Eventually I would take them out on the course for a couple of holes. The important thing is to let them find their own passion. My daughter decided that golf was not for her. She is 18 now and doesn't play. Golf was to slow for her. She enjoyed basketball, volleyball, and track and is a gifted athlete in all. She is going to college with a track scholarship and qualified for the Jr. Olympics. My son didn't enjoy golf until right before he went into high school and decided he wanted to be on the golf team. We had to scramble for a year to get him good enough to make the team. He had the basics but that was it. He made the team played for 4 years then stopped for a year. Now goes and plays with his friends. He is about to turn 20. I found that if you try to push them into something it will backfire. I let them try anything they wanted and let them tell me what they liked. Funny how kids are. My daughter wanted to be a cheerleader. After 1 season she said she would rather have people cheer for her. Then she joined the basketball team. She played a sport every season. No breaks for us or her. She is driven to be the best where as my son just wanted to be part of a team. So it was baseball and golf for him.

Obviously now I can play whenever I want. My daughter leaves for college in two weeks. Sort of an empty nest coming up. Enjoy the time you have while raising them. Let them find their passion and support them. 

Yes absolutely, I'll show her golf and if she's interested great if not then it's no big deal to me. I'm happy to take her and watch whatever it is they have a passion for whether it be sports or music and the arts. I'm drawn to the idea of having a hitting net at home as like you said it makes it very easy to pop in and out of practice as your schedule allows and cuts down on the time spent driving to and from the range. It can also be hard with young kids to physically schedule time to play or practice but having the ability to just pop in the backyard when time presents itself really opens up the opportunity for practice. 

Can’t wait to be able to share the course with my kids one day. One on the way in October and let the countdown begin until they are old enough!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

5 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Can’t wait to be able to share the course with my kids one day. One on the way in October and let the countdown begin until they are old enough!

It undoubtedly changes your life but in some of the best ways, congratulations!

Communication with the wife has been the biggest adjustment.  Keeping a solid calendar and allowing participate in her hobbies.  The thing that has disappeared the most is the last second "I'm going to go play golf this afternoon" request. 

Also, everything said by Kanoito is super helpful.  Including the kids when you can makes is so much better.  Played 9 holes with my 8 year old the other day and he wanted to keep score for the very first time so I made up some holes for him on the course.   150-170 was a par 5, 100-140 par 4, 50-70 par 3.  It was honestly the most enjoyable 9 holes I've ever played. 

19 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

great topic here. i’ve got a 10 month old son, and actually only started golfing a month or two before he was born. thanks, covid!

im self employed, so a flexible schedule makes life really easy. i get 1-2 rounds in every week.  i’ve been toying with the idea of joining a club to play more, but i think that idea will be more realistic when our kids are a few years old so we could make great use of a family membership  

usually my wife and i sit down sunday evening and go over what our week looks like. then i say “mind if i play friday morning?” 

i try offsetting my rounds with family activities with her and our son. she’s happy to give me time for the things i enjoy as long as she feels the effort is there to spend time with her as well. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

As others have said, communication. I can’t do the “hey let’s go get 18 in today” anymore, which is ok. Planning and letting the wife know is how I am able to. 
also she knows I really enjoy playing and that’s time I need for me sometimes. Helps having a woman that gets it!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 hour ago, den748 said:

Communication with the wife has been the biggest adjustment.  Keeping a solid calendar and allowing participate in her hobbies.  The thing that has disappeared the most is the last second "I'm going to go play golf this afternoon" request. 

Also, everything said by Kanoito is super helpful.  Including the kids when you can makes is so much better.  Played 9 holes with my 8 year old the other day and he wanted to keep score for the very first time so I made up some holes for him on the course.   150-170 was a par 5, 100-140 par 4, 50-70 par 3.  It was honestly the most enjoyable 9 holes I've ever played. 

100% agreed re: the communication aspect - the spur of the moment golf is officially dead for me, but if I am planning well I can usually make it work; it just usually means I am playing solo or with 1-2 other friends rather than accommodating three other guys' schedules to get a foursome together.

13 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

great topic here. i’ve got a 10 month old son, and actually only started golfing a month or two before he was born. thanks, covid!

im self employed, so a flexible schedule makes life really easy. i get 1-2 rounds in every week.  i’ve been toying with the idea of joining a club to play more, but i think that idea will be more realistic when our kids are a few years old so we could make great use of a family membership  

usually my wife and i sit down sunday evening and go over what our week looks like. then i say “mind if i play friday morning?” 

i try offsetting my rounds with family activities with her and our son. she’s happy to give me time for the things i enjoy as long as she feels the effort is there to spend time with her as well. 

Yes I am definitely in the same boat here where I did not have this expansive golf schedule before our children to then grind down to something that works within the family unit. My wife and I also have the same routine of sitting down and plotting out the week but I feel too guilty to ask for a full golf round at the moment as she spends so much time at home with the kids and does not really get IMO enough time for just herself to not be a wife or mom so it can be tough. It's also been hard to find other Dads who are in the same boat because I don't get out often enough to golf and make buddies on the course so it's fantastic to hear from other fathers here. 

11 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

As others have said, communication. I can’t do the “hey let’s go get 18 in today” anymore, which is ok. Planning and letting the wife know is how I am able to. 
also she knows I really enjoy playing and that’s time I need for me sometimes. Helps having a woman that gets it!

Yeah that went out the window across the board with all things even beyond golf after the first child. Planning and communication makes for some healthy boundaries and expectations for sure. 

I've got 3 girls now. I'm lucky to work right next to a golf course so I can get my practice is during lunch breaks. As far as playing, I try to either go super early in the morning or bring my oldest out with me. Not always to pull off. I certainly do not play anywhere near as much as I'd like to, but such is life. Got to have priorities. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!
Just now, scooterhd2 said:

I've got 3 girls now. I'm lucky to work right next to a golf course so I can get my practice is during lunch breaks. As far as playing, I try to either go super early in the morning or bring my oldest out with me. Not always to pull off. I certainly do not play anywhere near as much as I'd like to, but such is life. Got to have priorities. 

How often do you go out to practice at lunch?

3 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

It's also been hard to find other Dads who are in the same boat because I don't get out often enough to golf and make buddies on the course so it's fantastic to hear from other fathers here. 

i play 90+% of my rounds as a single because i can’t commit to a weekly game 

a few times a year, my dad, brother in law, a few buddies and i plan a nice round a month or so in advance so we can all clear our schedules. my brother in law and i usually convince our wives (my wife and my sister) to hang out and then we meet them for dinner after. 

that’s really the only way i’ve found to get out with a group of guys. other than that i’m at the mercy of whoever course pairs me up with haha

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

5 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

How often do you go out to practice at lunch?

I was going 5 times a week for the last 2 years. But recently started working out at the gym at work. So I have been hitting that at lunch and only golfing one time a week. Eventually I hope to balance them out more but I have some major lbs to lose first. Plus I'm hoping the weight lifting will help out the golf game some. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!