TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf as a New Dad

3 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

i play 90+% of my rounds as a single because i can’t commit to a weekly game 

a few times a year, my dad, brother in law, a few buddies and i plan a nice round a month or so in advance so we can all clear our schedules. my brother in law and i usually convince our wives (my wife and my sister) to hang out and then we meet them for dinner after. 

that’s really the only way i’ve found to get out with a group of guys. other than that i’m at the mercy of whoever course pairs me up with haha

Hahaha yeah man it's like looking in a mirror it's practically a major party event to get a group together at this point but I really don't mind being a single as you tend to meet some interesting people from all walks of life to talk to and play with during the round. We are at a bit of disadvantage with child raising as we have no family in the state and with the 3 month old it's either me or my wife that watches the kids and the weekends are prime time for me to get to play with my two little buddies. 

Driver: :titelist-small: - TSR2 Tensei 1K Pro Orange

Wood: :titelist-small: - TSR2+ Tensei 1k Pro Orange

Irons: :mizuno-small: - MP 241 PW-6

:mizuno-small: - MP 245 4&5 

:titelist-small: - T200 3 Driving Iron

Wedges: :vokey-small: - 54/58 12D

Putter: :L.A.B.:  - Mezz.1 Max

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: - Tour BX

Data: :Arccos:

1 minute ago, scooterhd2 said:

I was going 5 times a week for the last 2 years. But recently started working out at the gym at work. So I have been hitting that at lunch and only golfing one time a week. Eventually I hope to balance them out more but I have some major lbs to lose first. Plus I'm hoping the weight lifting will help out the golf game some. 

Oh wow that's awesome, I have a course that isn't the highest quality but they do have a driving range and a place to putt about 5 min from my office so I can sneak out there for 45 min from time to time. 

9 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

a few times a year, my dad, brother in law, a few buddies and i plan a nice round a month or so in advance so we can all clear our schedules. my brother in law and i usually convince our wives (my wife and my sister) to hang out and then we meet them for dinner after. 

that’s really the only way i’ve found to get out with a group of guys. other than that i’m at the mercy of whoever course pairs me up with haha

I’m in a similar boat as you Chip. 

The singular, most important aspect of this is just being honest with your spouse. Regardless of how much we all adore our kids, we need the break.  It’s so important to spread ourselves out between work, family and a hobby. That hobby for most of us is golf and it’s a great way for me (speaking for myself) to get a little break. 

My wife and I have a standing agreement that we each get our own time for golf or a spa or dinner with friends as a healthy release. Fortunately, I have an amazing wife who has never said no to my desire to play. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

I’m in a similar boat as you Chip. 

The singular, most important aspect of this is just being honest with your spouse. Regardless of how much we all adore our kids, we need the break.  It’s so important to spread ourselves out between work, family and a hobby. That hobby for most of us is golf and it’s a great way for me (speaking for myself) to get a little break. 

My wife and I have a standing agreement that we each get our own time for golf or a spa or dinner with friends as a healthy release. Fortunately, I have an amazing wife who has never said no to my desire to play. 

That's awesome you guys have the agreement and it definitely is best in the long run for all parties involved. 

10 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

Oh wow that's awesome, I have a course that isn't the highest quality but they do have a driving range and a place to putt about 5 min from my office so I can sneak out there for 45 min from time to time. 

Thats exactly my situation. I've only played the course twice because it is not great, but the putting green and chipping areas are above average. And theres a range. I've got an hour lunch, so easy to get a 45 minute session in. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I too have 2 daughters that are 4 years old and 5 months old.  We have a public course where i keep my golf cart.  Its nice because my oldest loves to ride or steer the cart.  Sometimes ill use that as an excuse to go get a round in.  Other times The wife and I will trade off days to do stuff so we both get free time to ourselves.  Works out pretty well for the most part. 

WITB

I'm just starting to navigate this journey myself. I'm picking golf back up right as my kid is turning 2. His life up til now has had a lot of my time/attention due to covid life, but this is something the wife and i are trying to transition away from in a healthy manner. 

It's also a matter of "reset time" like some others have pointed out, and being able to communicate and schedule properly when theres time to go play without making it too much of a strain. 

rx1232

1 hour ago, TG8 said:

I too have 2 daughters that are 4 years old and 5 months old.  We have a public course where i keep my golf cart.  Its nice because my oldest loves to ride or steer the cart.  Sometimes ill use that as an excuse to go get a round in.  Other times The wife and I will trade off days to do stuff so we both get free time to ourselves.  Works out pretty well for the most part. 

That's great to hear, yeah whether the older ones gets into golf or not it never hurts to bring them out and have a fun day outdoors with Dad. 

56 minutes ago, rx1232 said:

I'm just starting to navigate this journey myself. I'm picking golf back up right as my kid is turning 2. His life up til now has had a lot of my time/attention due to covid life, but this is something the wife and i are trying to transition away from in a healthy manner. 

It's also a matter of "reset time" like some others have pointed out, and being able to communicate and schedule properly when theres time to go play without making it too much of a strain. 

Oh man toddler stage is absolutely a great time to start establishing some personal time for both you and your spouse as the kids start to test you in more challenging ways. 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

It’s so important to spread ourselves out between work, family and a hobby.

well said!

both my hobbies are solitary endeavors. i play golf and ride motorcycles. so it’s this weird dynamic where me “enjoying myself” means spending hours at a time away from my wife and son. 

i’m happy to balance that out with as many family outings as she can plan for us. it’s the whole reason we moved out of NYC to a more rural setting. there’s so much to do here for a young family that she’s always got something planned for the 3 of us. 

if i ever felt like those scales were tipping too far and they were on the short end, i’d give up golf tomorrow. it’s amazing to read you all feel the same way, because i know how much everyone here loves golf 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

3 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

Being part of a private club was most beneficial for me. As the kids got a little older there was so much for us do do as a family. I would play golf then meet the family at the pool. We could then have lunch or dinner there. Kids could get lessons then I would play golf. 

I still play 90 percent of my rounds solo. Tee off, play 18 in two hours and be home in no time. You can't do that on public courses. I would say when the kids are three or four membership makes sense.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I’ve got a 6 and 1 year old (born same day 5 years apart). I have a wonderful golf encouraging wife (from Augusta). Golf during the first year after a kid is always hard, lots to do, take care of and usually a lack of sleep. 

Since the 6 year old was 3 I’ve been taking him with me every chance I get. It’s something we can always do together and I can get some swings in. 

The best thing for my game has been the purchase of a Skytrak year and half ago. It’s 4 times a week at least when I’m in the garage hitting balls after they’ve gone to bed. I also plan tournaments with my friends as it’s easier to get something on the calendar far in advance. 

The best thing is play when you can, practice when you can, and bring them with you when you can. 

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

39 minutes ago, DannyDips said:

I’ve got a 6 and 1 year old (born same day 5 years apart). I have a wonderful golf encouraging wife (from Augusta). Golf during the first year after a kid is always hard, lots to do, take care of and usually a lack of sleep. 

Since the 6 year old was 3 I’ve been taking him with me every chance I get. It’s something we can always do together and I can get some swings in. 

The best thing for my game has been the purchase of a Skytrak year and half ago. It’s 4 times a week at least when I’m in the garage hitting balls after they’ve gone to bed. I also plan tournaments with my friends as it’s easier to get something on the calendar far in advance. 

The best thing is play when you can, practice when you can, and bring them with you when you can. 

It seems like you really have things figured out with that setup. One day I would really like to have the at home simulator setup as it truly allows for you to get some good practice in under a very short amount of time. Who knows might even be able to convince the wife to join me for some late night rounds after the kids fall asleep. 

14 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

Who knows might even be able to convince the wife to join me for some late night rounds after the kids fall asleep. 

careful. that’s how you ended up with kids in the first place 😉

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

13 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

It seems like you really have things figured out with that setup. One day I would really like to have the at home simulator setup as it truly allows for you to get some good practice in under a very short amount of time. Who knows might even be able to convince the wife to join me for some late night rounds after the kids fall asleep. 

I would strongly suggest a Skytrak or any Launch Monitor to anyone serious about getting better with limited time on the course, especially with kids. I probably get 400 extra swings in a week I didn’t get before the Skytrak. Best golf purchase probably I’ve had. 

8 hours ago, den748 said:

Communication with the wife has been the biggest adjustment.  Keeping a solid calendar and allowing participate in her hobbies.  The thing that has disappeared the most is the last second "I'm going to go play golf this afternoon" request. 

Also, everything said by Kanoito is super helpful.  Including the kids when you can makes is so much better.  Played 9 holes with my 8 year old the other day and he wanted to keep score for the very first time so I made up some holes for him on the course.   150-170 was a par 5, 100-140 par 4, 50-70 par 3.  It was honestly the most enjoyable 9 holes I've ever played. 

That's awesome. Gonna keep this in mind when my little one is old enough.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

13 minutes ago, DannyDips said:

I would strongly suggest a Skytrak or any Launch Monitor to anyone serious about getting better with limited time on the course, especially with kids. I probably get 400 extra swings in a week I didn’t get before the Skytrak. Best golf purchase probably I’ve had. 

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go that route. Though Sky track is probably out of the price range 

Take Dead Aim

16 hours ago, DannyDips said:

Yeah just have to convince the wife I'll still get things done around the house and not hit golf balls 24/7 

24 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

Yeah just have to convince the wife I'll still get things done around the house and not hit golf balls 24/7 

That's why I tee off at sun up on weekends. Back home by 10.

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

That's why I tee off at sun up on weekends. Back home by 10.

Yeah hopefully that's something I can do moving forward as the girls get older but my wife also works from home on the weekends and usually does AM hours so tough to do. On top of that first off tee times are hard to come by at the moment as they're the most popular.  

14 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

Yeah hopefully that's something I can do moving forward as the girls get older but my wife also works from home on the weekends and usually does AM hours so tough to do. On top of that first off tee times are hard to come by at the moment as they're the most popular.  

I found a course where all summer I can usually be the first one out both Sat & Sun. And it's only about a 25 min drive. Guess I'm lucky with just a bunch of lazy people around here.

I also have a talk with my wife each week. I don't care when I play as long as I get too. Early mornings work best, but this year I've ended up with some late afternoon Saturday rounds cause that's what worked best for her.

Take Dead Aim

I am in the same boat as alot of y'all on here. 2 kids and wondering how the heck I can get out and play! lol, but seriously I have been taking my 3 year-old to the course with me for over a year now and he loves it! I am currently trying to get a better hitting mat and a rapsodo to supplement my cravings when I can! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

48 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

I am in the same boat as alot of y'all on here. 2 kids and wondering how the heck I can get out and play! lol, but seriously I have been taking my 3 year-old to the course with me for over a year now and he loves it! I am currently trying to get a better hitting mat and a rapsodo to supplement my cravings when I can! 

Yes the more I think about getting an at home hitting situation the better but itll be tough to convince the wife to let me drop any real money on a good net and solid hitting mat seeing as golf is still fairly new for me. 

36 minutes ago, TheProfessor02 said:

Yes the more I think about getting an at home hitting situation the better but itll be tough to convince the wife to let me drop any real money on a good net and solid hitting mat seeing as golf is still fairly new for me. 

Always a negotiation in my experience 😅

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

9 hours ago, TheProfessor02 said:

Haha. The “Honey-Do” list does take a hit for sure. I do spend most of my Skytrak time after the kids go down and before bed so it’s not usually a time when I’m busy getting stuff done around the house. I’ll say since the purchase I’ve never felt that feeing of “rust” when I do get time on the course.