TESTERS WANTED! ×

What have you done to get out of a funk?

First it was Saturday then today at the range, I hit ONE yes I said ONE straight ball. Usually my irons are super trusty and straight. I dont know what I am doing and was hoping to get some advice to get out of my funk. Thanks in advance.

• Driver: Taylormade Stealth 9* 
  • Woods: Cobra LTDx 14.5*
  • Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3 Hybrid
  • Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 60* and 56*, SM8 50*
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select 1.5

This is tough.  Happens to me at least once a year.  The confidence goes, poor shots are struck.  What do I do?  I am not even sure, a lot of self pep talk, find a club that I do hit well and hit it repeatedly.  A lot of short shots to get the rhythm back.

Golf is a funny game.  Can be on top of the world one day, and a dumpster fire the next.  

Good thoughts only.  They go along way in this game.

Edited by Shankster
Automatically Correction Is getting the best of me

Thanks for the input. I hope I can get out of this, it just is unfun haha

For me it's purely Tempo when I get out of sorts. 

I try to hit smooth 3/4 swings that have a nice steady acceleration at the bottom. No thought about distance just feel. 

Right now my miss is a mid round shank with a wedge that will occur a few holes in a row. Its baffling to me because everywhere else is great. I really try to not let it get me down. 

If my funk gets bad enough, I schedule 15-30 minutes with my teaching pro.  Usually he can look at a couple swings and tell me what's going on.    And the option always is to go buy some new clubs 🤪

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

11 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

First it was Saturday then today at the range, I hit ONE yes I said ONE straight ball. Usually my irons are super trusty and straight. I dont know what I am doing and was hoping to get some advice to get out of my funk. Thanks in advance.

balls that go straight are the HARDEST balls to hit reliably.   A degree change in setup, path, face angle, lie angle, etc will cause the ball to curve.   You don't say how non straight the ball was going,  but sometimes our swing just does that and we hit balls that curve more than we expect.   

Depending how bad you think the funk is,  take a lesson or hit some partial swing shots (9-3 drill) or hit a mid to long iron 100 yards to get your tempo and sequencing in line,  put down some alignment sticks to make sure your setup is correct.  

I wouldn't sweat it maybe take a few days away from swinging a club. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for all the advise.

9 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

For me it's purely Tempo when I get out of sorts. 

I try to hit smooth 3/4 swings that have a nice steady acceleration at the bottom. No thought about distance just feel. 

Right now my miss is a mid round shank with a wedge that will occur a few holes in a row. Its baffling to me because everywhere else is great. I really try to not let it get me down. 

I definately need to get my temp in good order I will try this out.

2 hours ago, Larryd3 said:

If my funk gets bad enough, I schedule 15-30 minutes with my teaching pro.  Usually he can look at a couple swings and tell me what's going on.    And the option always is to go buy some new clubs 🤪

Well thats what I am trying to avoid, I am wanting to pull the trigger on some irons but if I keep golfing like this then I will have to get a different set. 😥 Also I haven't found a teaching pro around here, to be fair though I haven't looked real hard.

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

balls that go straight are the HARDEST balls to hit reliably.   A degree change in setup, path, face angle, lie angle, etc will cause the ball to curve.   You don't say how non straight the ball was going,  but sometimes our swing just does that and we hit balls that curve more than we expect.   

Depending how bad you think the funk is,  take a lesson or hit some partial swing shots (9-3 drill) or hit a mid to long iron 100 yards to get your tempo and sequencing in line,  put down some alignment sticks to make sure your setup is correct.  

I wouldn't sweat it maybe take a few days away from swinging a club. 

I will be trying to find some lessons around here and do both of those practice techniques, I will also buy some alignment sticks...😳 should have had them before. Thanks for your input.

Everyones input is appreciated, I will keep you all updated on how this process evolves as well.

What are your expectations?  I just went through this prior to going on a vacation.  I was Shanking my wedges, even shanked a few while playing the courses.

This is the most unnerving thing to me, that terrible shot.  But, I knew that eventually I would stop doing that crap, and once again I have moved my strike pattern to the central region again.

Why would you need to look at a different iron?  Which irons are you looking at?  Just because you are having an off few weeks does not mean that you need a SSSSSSGI type of club.  The extra s’s for illustration purposes.

I think it's helpful to try to re-groove your swing without hitting balls. I often find that when I'm in a funk, I try to think my way out of it and then all of a sudden I have 15 swing thoughts every time I step up to the ball and it always goes poorly. Assuming you generally have a consistent swing, try to find that groove again and let the muscle memory kick in before worrying about the results. 

I'm working through this right now myself. Just re-injured my upper back a month ago, and after a TPI evaluation, I found that almost all of the power in my swing is coming from my thoracic spine and none from my lower body. So now I need to try to start incorporating my lower body, but with all of these changes, I'm overthinking things and only hitting about 30% of my shots well. I'm confident that once I can get to being automatic with the swing, things will be better.

Just golfing to have a good time

32 minutes ago, Shankster said:

What are your expectations?  I just went through this prior to going on a vacation.  I was Shanking my wedges, even shanked a few while playing the courses.

This is the most unnerving thing to me, that terrible shot.  But, I knew that eventually I would stop doing that crap, and once again I have moved my strike pattern to the central region again.

Why would you need to look at a different iron?  Which irons are you looking at?  Just because you are having an off few weeks does not mean that you need a SSSSSSGI type of club.  The extra s’s for illustration purposes.

I want to get back to where all my irons are super straight and trusty, I was shanking EVERYTHING 😳. I have Taylormade RBZ that I bought off the shelf and are regular flex, I want to get a fitting and new irons. I feel like mine are a bit short and I am pretty sure they are the wrong flex (7 iron-195). I am looking at Callaway Apex Pro 21s or the new Titleist T100 kinda just depends on what the fitting tells me, I just know new irons are in the future. Yeah I get it I just have never played this bad or had this bad of a funk so its kinda pushing my nerves.

Depends on what is causing it.  I get the shanks (the golf equivalent of the twisties) at least twice a year and this year was the first time I figured out why.  I come down too steep. So when it happens now I know what to do at the range, focus on shallowing out and slowing down.

Before I knew what the problem was, I'd just take 2 weeks away from golf.  Look at my clubs and say "screw you guys, I'm going home".   Come back and hopefully it fixes itself. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

28 minutes ago, tylerjarvis said:

I think it's helpful to try to re-groove your swing without hitting balls. I often find that when I'm in a funk, I try to think my way out of it and then all of a sudden I have 15 swing thoughts every time I step up to the ball and it always goes poorly. Assuming you generally have a consistent swing, try to find that groove again and let the muscle memory kick in before worrying about the results. 

I'm working through this right now myself. Just re-injured my upper back a month ago, and after a TPI evaluation, I found that almost all of the power in my swing is coming from my thoracic spine and none from my lower body. So now I need to try to start incorporating my lower body, but with all of these changes, I'm overthinking things and only hitting about 30% of my shots well. I'm confident that once I can get to being automatic with the swing, things will be better.

I am definately overthinking absolutely no question about that, everyone tells me I swing too hard at the ball and my backswing is too fast. All that stuff gets stuck in my head and I start looking crap up online and try to change it. I just need to go get some lessons and see what they say. I hope your back gets better and your swing comes around.

Edited by Ethan21
2 minutes ago, den748 said:

Depends on what is causing it.  I get the shanks (the golf equivalent of the twisties) at least twice a year and this year was the first time I figured out why.  I come down too steep. So when it happens now I know what to do at the range, focus on shallowing out and slowing down.

Before I knew what the problem was, I'd just take 2 weeks away from golf.  Look at my clubs and say "screw you guys, I'm going home".   Come back and hopefully it fixes itself. 

Sounds like me haha. Yeah I want to work through it instead of just stopping for a bit, then coming back and "oh well it magically dissappeared."

2 minutes ago, Ethan21 said:

I want to get back to where all my irons are super straight and trusty, I was shanking EVERYTHING 😳. I have Taylormade RBZ that I bought off the shelf and are regular flex, I want to get a fitting and new irons. I feel like mine are a bit short and I am pretty sure they are the wrong flex (7 iron-195). I am looking at Callaway Apex Pro 21s or the new Titleist T100 kinda just depends on what the fitting tells me, I just know new irons are in the future. Yeah I get it I just have never played this bad or had this bad of a funk so its kinda pushing my nerves.

Happens man.  Do not despair, I went for a fitting for the Blueprints a few years ago, and shanked 8 of 20.  Talk about embarrassing.  

I was recovering from a recent shoulder surgery, but I had high expectations and my game was/is not Hoseling the ball.  

Patience is key.  

Just now, Shankster said:

Happens man.  Do not despair, I went for a fitting for the Blueprints a few years ago, and shanked 8 of 20.  Talk about embarrassing.  

I was recovering from a recent shoulder surgery, but I had high expectations and my game was/is not Hoseling the ball.  

Patience is key.  

Thanks! Did you end up getting them?

I like to think I can hit myself out of a funk. I need to get all the bad swings out. So I go to the range for an hour and let it all out. I video tape myself to see about consistency and inconsistencies. Take a look and see what needs to be modified or corrected. I’ve also found that simulating holes by going to the range is better for me at least. I’ll never be able to hit 10 great 7 irons in a row. But once warmed up I can throw together a good simulated hole session

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

5 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I like to think I can hit myself out of a funk. I need to get all the bad swings out. So I go to the range for an hour and let it all out. I video tape myself to see about consistency and inconsistencies. Take a look and see what needs to be modified or corrected. I’ve also found that simulating holes by going to the range is better for me at least. I’ll never be able to hit 10 great 7 irons in a row. But once warmed up I can throw together a good simulated hole session

I will try that out, sounds like it makes a range session more interesting too!

For me, when my swing is really bad, I try to focus on other things that are going well, to help boost my confidence. Maybe my short game is well, and it helps keep my scores reasonable. I think someone above mentioned hitting the range and getting all the bad shots out. I agree. A pro once told me that sometimes it's good to just hit balls and not care where they go. If you've been playing a while, and not doing a swing overhaul, then it's likely just a hiccup that happens and it'll likely run its course

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

40 minutes ago, JeremyD said:

For me, when my swing is really bad, I try to focus on other things that are going well, to help boost my confidence. Maybe my short game is well, and it helps keep my scores reasonable. I think someone above mentioned hitting the range and getting all the bad shots out. I agree. A pro once told me that sometimes it's good to just hit balls and not care where they go. If you've been playing a while, and not doing a swing overhaul, then it's likely just a hiccup that happens and it'll likely run its course

I am hoping so.

Edited by Ethan21
49 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Do you hit off mats a lot?  When I first started hitting indoors in the Yoop… that really had an ill effect on my game.

I was going to a range that had mats but I have been going to one that is grass recently.

Edited by Ethan21

sounds like the "Twistys"?

I usually just shorten the swing. I'll even play that way if I have to. Think punch shots. Very body connected. Less hands. My version of Tommy Fleetwood. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

A bit counter-intuitive and might be nerve racking, but when this happened to me last, I left the range and went on the course with no scorecard. I hyper focused on a target and just swung the club aggressively to the target..no finesse/feel shots. Sounds like you’re ball striking and fundamentals are sound, so it might be more in your head (too much technical thoughts?). 

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

23 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

sounds like the "Twistys"?

I usually just shorten the swing. I'll even play that way if I have to. Think punch shots. Very body connected. Less hands. My version of Tommy Fleetwood. 

I'll give it a go next range session. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Gavwlee said:

A bit counter-intuitive and might be nerve racking, but when this happened to me last, I left the range and went on the course with no scorecard. I hyper focused on a target and just swung the club aggressively to the target..no finesse/feel shots. Sounds like you’re ball striking and fundamentals are sound, so it might be more in your head (too much technical thoughts?). 

Yeah it's a real possibility, I might give this a go this weekend too. Thanks!

Edited by Ethan21
3 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

Thanks for all the advise.

I definately need to get my temp in good order I will try this out.

Well thats what I am trying to avoid, I am wanting to pull the trigger on some irons but if I keep golfing like this then I will have to get a different set. 😥 Also I haven't found a teaching pro around here, to be fair though I haven't looked real hard.

I will be trying to find some lessons around here and do both of those practice techniques, I will also buy some alignment sticks...😳 should have had them before. Thanks for your input.

Everyones input is appreciated, I will keep you all updated on how this process evolves as well.

Sorry to hear about the funk.  I blame it on the weather!  

If you want a pro to look at your swing or for lessons, I recommend Mike Schoner the head pro at Sun Willows.  He was the assistant pro at Columbia Point until last year; really helped a friend of mine.

I agree with others that it is likely a tempo/rhythm issue.  There are fast tempos and slow tempos, but you have to get the rhythm correct for your tempo.  

I'm certainly not a golf coach (and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but if you want another set of eyes on your swing I'd be happy to take a look.  I've had a lot of personal experience with the s#@nks!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

I will try that out, sounds like it makes a range session more interesting too!

Yea. I’m the type of person that has a hard time moving on from bad shots to another club or leaving the range. It made it more fun and I had a better perception of how the session went itself. It’s hard enough to hit 1-2 good shots in a row so why am I trying to hit 15 good 7 irons lol grant it’s if you need to work in something certain more reps are better but you can still script out holes for the range session dr-6iron-58 or 4 iron-gw etc. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I only let that go for a little bit and if I can't seem to figure it out, i go for a lesson. My guy I used to go to called it the "three ball fix" he'd watch me hit three and tell me the problem and then I'd move on. Still works even with my new instructor.

Edited by dcherif

I pull out the trusty old Swingyde training aid. Anytime my ball flight starts  getting crooked, I hit balls with that on my club and it straightens it back out. I developed such a nasty hook this year I hit balls with it before almost every round to stay on plane and in sync. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 8.5* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 65 (6.5)

Woods: Turner H-2 3W, 5W, 7W Aldila NV 65 Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: King F8 6i - PW Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 3 50*, 54*, 60* Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :scotty-small: Futura 5W

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 Cart bag

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

Rangefinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Tracker: :ShotScope: ShotScope V2 

If you have other hobbies take a week or two to focus on them and come back to golf.  For me it’s motocross and it helps a lot  to flip flop so you dont stress out. This advise is only good if your not trying to go pro. 😂

WITB