Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What have you done to get out of a funk?

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Sorry to hear about the funk.  I blame it on the weather!  

If you want a pro to look at your swing or for lessons, I recommend Mike Schoner the head pro at Sun Willows.  He was the assistant pro at Columbia Point until last year; really helped a friend of mine.

I agree with others that it is likely a tempo/rhythm issue.  There are fast tempos and slow tempos, but you have to get the rhythm correct for your tempo.  

I'm certainly not a golf coach (and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but if you want another set of eyes on your swing I'd be happy to take a look.  I've had a lot of personal experience with the s#@nks!

I might take you up on that. Just having a rough few times out.

6 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Yea. I’m the type of person that has a hard time moving on from bad shots to another club or leaving the range. It made it more fun and I had a better perception of how the session went itself. It’s hard enough to hit 1-2 good shots in a row so why am I trying to hit 15 good 7 irons lol grant it’s if you need to work in something certain more reps are better but you can still script out holes for the range session dr-6iron-58 or 4 iron-gw etc. 

I definitely do the same thin, I totally get in my own head.

• Driver: Taylormade Stealth 9* 
  • Woods: Cobra LTDx 14.5*
  • Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3 Hybrid
  • Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 60* and 56*, SM8 50*
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select 1.5
5 hours ago, scott80109 said:

I pull out the trusty old Swingyde training aid. Anytime my ball flight starts  getting crooked, I hit balls with that on my club and it straightens it back out. I developed such a nasty hook this year I hit balls with it before almost every round to stay on plane and in sync. 

I will look into this as well

3 hours ago, TG8 said:

If you have other hobbies take a week or two to focus on them and come back to golf.  For me it’s motocross and it helps a lot  to flip flop so you dont stress out. This advise is only good if your not trying to go pro. 😂

I’ll never be pro but I am extremely obsessive with being good at my hobbies so I get frustrated easily.

46 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Going to need to try this myself… hit a sideways wedge tonight… 😬

Hey at least it was just one! I am stuck in the house most of the weekend, wife works so I have the kids to deal with 😂 I’ll try to get out Monday or something and update everyone. 

I usually try to put it all in perspective.  For instance usually the "really bad" doesn't last more than a few weeks.  I'll tell myself - hey I've been playing fairly well for months this is only a small setback and not permanent.  Next, I'll try to go back to the same swing thought and have a couple range sessions before my next round.  If that does not work, I'll adjust and think nothing else but tempo and hold your finish.  During that I'll also try to concentrate on working the ball one specific way.   If I can at least know that I can hit a fade on command, whether it's a 2 yard fade or 10 yard fade, my confidence will increase because I feel like I have at least some control over what I'm doing.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I’d go to a pro. In fact I just did it myself a couple weeks ago in exactly the same situation.

My last six rounds before the pro averaged 90, my six rounds since that half hour lesson have averaged 82. And I keep stats, my chipping and putting did not change. He made a couple changes, and it turns out what I was doing to fix my swing myself were literally the opposite of what he recommended - his suggestions worked. Some people can diagnose and fix their swings but IME most people will do better with a knowledgeable pro taking a look.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

When (not if) these slumps appear I'll go to the range or out for 9 holes and just hit a 7 or 6 iron all the way to the green.  I swing at 3/4 and use a really steep swing to make sure I am hitting the ball before the turf.  I just did a range session last weekend doing this and worked my way out of a wipey swing I had been stuck on for a month.  The iron contact improved in this past week's league but I did a bad job adjusting for the extra yardage and missed quite a few greens long.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

All very good advise and I will definately try to implement it all, I have been hiting plastic balls in my backyard and of course that seems like I am a dang pro 😂. I will be headed to the range Monday most likely and I might play tomorrow if I can find a babysitter for a few hours.

Too lazy to quote everyone sorry.

Edited by Ethan21
  • 2 weeks later...

I typically lose my swing each summer as well. Bad round or two then try to make little refinements then I'm thinking too much about the swing and down the dark twisty tunnel we go.  I typically take a week or so off and not think about the swing.  After, go to the range and try to just hit.  No targets, no distances, just swings without swing thoughts.  Easier said than done of course.  This year aka last week it took 2+ buckets of balls over a few nights.  Finally hit a few that felt right and figured it out....for now

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch "Hulk"
3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Aldila Ascent Red 
2 Iron: TaylorMade Stealth UDI - LA Golf A Series Hybrid
4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff (1/4" long, 2* upright)
54* & 58* Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5
Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Sounds like a whole lot of mental stuff. I dont typically get in my head but end of last year I was hosling wedges like no ones business and it had me seriously worried, I literally could not stop it.

Luckily it was the off season and I literally practiced wedges with foam balls in my basement every single day and figured out what I was doing (takeaway and tempo). Cured this season and wedges have been strong for me.

Every person is different need to figure out what your action plan should be. For me it was practicing. Very roundabout answer but you are not the only one! Keep on keepin on!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I take time off.  I can't keep my bad habits fresh if I keep playing. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I haven't been to a range or a course in a week but hopefully this weekend. I is/was definately mental I hope I have gotten over it though.

Well I went to the driving range yesterday... I hit well! still some bad shots here and there but not every club in the bag and my irons are back to being trusty! I am sure it was all mental.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just picked up the game in the past year or so (Lockdown golfer) and I've definitely hit a few ruts recently, for me I focus less so on things I'm trying to implement especially if I've taken some time off! (Even a week tends to throw me off a bit when I get back to it).

Slowing down my swing and just stripping everything back to basics has helped me massively! Especially when i'm caught up with 10000 different swing thoughts when things aren't going to plan  

• Driver: Cobra RadSpeed XB
  • Woods: Wilson FG Tour 3 Wood 
  • Hybrid: Wilson D350 Hybrid
  • Optional Utility: Titleist U510 4 Iron
  • Irons: Cleveland CG7 Tour - Black Pearl/Ping Eye 2 BeCu's (Red Dot)
  • Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action - 53* - Cleveland Byron Nelson BeCu Wedges - 56*, 60*
  • Putter: Cleveland Smart Square - EVNRoll Gravity Grip
  • Ball: Honma D1
3 hours ago, kkremio said:

I've just picked up the game in the past year or so (Lockdown golfer) and I've definitely hit a few ruts recently, for me I focus less so on things I'm trying to implement especially if I've taken some time off! (Even a week tends to throw me off a bit when I get back to it).

Slowing down my swing and just stripping everything back to basics has helped me massively! Especially when i'm caught up with 10000 different swing thoughts when things aren't going to plan  

So a fun thing my coaches in other sports reminded me whenever I was in a rut is that "athletes need to be idiot savants." Absolute geniuses who know exactly what they need to do but can let their minds go blank right before a shot and immediately after every bad shot/bounce. 

The more we stack on our minds, the more things tend to spiral and compound. So slowing your swing down and going back to basics is perfect. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Play bad once forget it

Play bad twice, go to the range and review basics

Play bad a third time, go see your Pro

Usually if I have a funk that lasts more than 2 rounds I get a lesson or take a week off. That soft reset gives me a chance to forget the bad vibes and looking forward to getting back to the game.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

My answer is to get to the range and work on fundamentals.  More often than not, your grip, your stance, your balance and tempo, and your alignment are contributing factors.  

If I have a bad round, I shrug it off and go out another day.  When I see a pattern, I have someone (not necessarily my coach) just watch my setup and fundamentals.  Having someone film your swing and then reviewing it is very beneficial.  Many times, what we feel isn't what is real.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug