What have you done to get out of a funk?

Posted (edited)

40 minutes ago, JeremyD said:

For me, when my swing is really bad, I try to focus on other things that are going well, to help boost my confidence. Maybe my short game is well, and it helps keep my scores reasonable. I think someone above mentioned hitting the range and getting all the bad shots out. I agree. A pro once told me that sometimes it's good to just hit balls and not care where they go. If you've been playing a while, and not doing a swing overhaul, then it's likely just a hiccup that happens and it'll likely run its course

I am hoping so.

Edited by Ethan21
  • Like 1
  • Driver: Titleist 915D2
  • Woods: Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood 
  • Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3 Hybrid
  • Irons: Taylormade RBZ-Soon to be replaced.
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 60 and 56
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select 1.5
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Do you hit off mats a lot?  When I first started hitting indoors in the Yoop… that really had an ill effect on my game.

I was going to a range that had mats but I have been going to one that is grass recently.

Edited by Ethan21
  • Like 1

sounds like the "Twistys"?

I usually just shorten the swing. I'll even play that way if I have to. Think punch shots. Very body connected. Less hands. My version of Tommy Fleetwood. 

Titleist Blind Tester

• Driver: :ping-small: K15
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :callaway-small: Apex 20 AD DI 85s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

A bit counter-intuitive and might be nerve racking, but when this happened to me last, I left the range and went on the course with no scorecard. I hyper focused on a target and just swung the club aggressively to the target..no finesse/feel shots. Sounds like you’re ball striking and fundamentals are sound, so it might be more in your head (too much technical thoughts?). 

Current as of 2021:

Titleist 913D2 9.5* Diamana 70S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana 60R | Mizuno MP-60 S300 (3-PW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

sounds like the "Twistys"?

I usually just shorten the swing. I'll even play that way if I have to. Think punch shots. Very body connected. Less hands. My version of Tommy Fleetwood. 

I'll give it a go next range session. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Gavwlee said:

A bit counter-intuitive and might be nerve racking, but when this happened to me last, I left the range and went on the course with no scorecard. I hyper focused on a target and just swung the club aggressively to the target..no finesse/feel shots. Sounds like you’re ball striking and fundamentals are sound, so it might be more in your head (too much technical thoughts?). 

Yeah it's a real possibility, I might give this a go this weekend too. Thanks!

Edited by Ethan21
3 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

Thanks for all the advise.

I definately need to get my temp in good order I will try this out.

Well thats what I am trying to avoid, I am wanting to pull the trigger on some irons but if I keep golfing like this then I will have to get a different set. 😥 Also I haven't found a teaching pro around here, to be fair though I haven't looked real hard.

I will be trying to find some lessons around here and do both of those practice techniques, I will also buy some alignment sticks...😳 should have had them before. Thanks for your input.

Everyones input is appreciated, I will keep you all updated on how this process evolves as well.

Sorry to hear about the funk.  I blame it on the weather!  

If you want a pro to look at your swing or for lessons, I recommend Mike Schoner the head pro at Sun Willows.  He was the assistant pro at Columbia Point until last year; really helped a friend of mine.

I agree with others that it is likely a tempo/rhythm issue.  There are fast tempos and slow tempos, but you have to get the rhythm correct for your tempo.  

I'm certainly not a golf coach (and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but if you want another set of eyes on your swing I'd be happy to take a look.  I've had a lot of personal experience with the s#@nks!

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

I will try that out, sounds like it makes a range session more interesting too!

Yea. I’m the type of person that has a hard time moving on from bad shots to another club or leaving the range. It made it more fun and I had a better perception of how the session went itself. It’s hard enough to hit 1-2 good shots in a row so why am I trying to hit 15 good 7 irons lol grant it’s if you need to work in something certain more reps are better but you can still script out holes for the range session dr-6iron-58 or 4 iron-gw etc. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

I only let that go for a little bit and if I can't seem to figure it out, i go for a lesson. My guy I used to go to called it the "three ball fix" he'd watch me hit three and tell me the problem and then I'd move on. Still works even with my new instructor.

Edited by dcherif
  • Like 1

I pull out the trusty old Swingyde training aid. Anytime my ball flight starts  getting crooked, I hit balls with that on my club and it straightens it back out. I developed such a nasty hook this year I hit balls with it before almost every round to stay on plane and in sync. 

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 8.5* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 65 (6.5)

Woods: Turner H-2 3W, 5W, 7W Aldila NV 65 Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: King F8 6i - PW Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 3 50*, 54*, 60* Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :scotty-small: Futura 5W

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 Cart bag

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

Rangefinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Tracker: :ShotScope: ShotScope V2 

If you have other hobbies take a week or two to focus on them and come back to golf.  For me it’s motocross and it helps a lot  to flip flop so you dont stress out. This advise is only good if your not trying to go pro. 😂

• Like 1

WITB

• cobra speedzone driver, 3 & 5 wood with hzrdus smoke shafts
  • mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 4-pw
  • cobra mim black 52 & 56 wedges
  • Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7 putter
6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Sorry to hear about the funk.  I blame it on the weather!  

If you want a pro to look at your swing or for lessons, I recommend Mike Schoner the head pro at Sun Willows.  He was the assistant pro at Columbia Point until last year; really helped a friend of mine.

I agree with others that it is likely a tempo/rhythm issue.  There are fast tempos and slow tempos, but you have to get the rhythm correct for your tempo.  

I'm certainly not a golf coach (and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but if you want another set of eyes on your swing I'd be happy to take a look.  I've had a lot of personal experience with the s#@nks!

I might take you up on that. Just having a rough few times out.

6 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Yea. I’m the type of person that has a hard time moving on from bad shots to another club or leaving the range. It made it more fun and I had a better perception of how the session went itself. It’s hard enough to hit 1-2 good shots in a row so why am I trying to hit 15 good 7 irons lol grant it’s if you need to work in something certain more reps are better but you can still script out holes for the range session dr-6iron-58 or 4 iron-gw etc. 

I definitely do the same thin, I totally get in my own head.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, scott80109 said:

I pull out the trusty old Swingyde training aid. Anytime my ball flight starts  getting crooked, I hit balls with that on my club and it straightens it back out. I developed such a nasty hook this year I hit balls with it before almost every round to stay on plane and in sync. 

I will look into this as well

3 hours ago, TG8 said:

If you have other hobbies take a week or two to focus on them and come back to golf.  For me it’s motocross and it helps a lot  to flip flop so you dont stress out. This advise is only good if your not trying to go pro. 😂

I’ll never be pro but I am extremely obsessive with being good at my hobbies so I get frustrated easily.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Going to need to try this myself… hit a sideways wedge tonight… 😬

Hey at least it was just one! I am stuck in the house most of the weekend, wife works so I have the kids to deal with 😂 I’ll try to get out Monday or something and update everyone. 

• Like 1

I usually try to put it all in perspective.  For instance usually the "really bad" doesn't last more than a few weeks.  I'll tell myself - hey I've been playing fairly well for months this is only a small setback and not permanent.  Next, I'll try to go back to the same swing thought and have a couple range sessions before my next round.  If that does not work, I'll adjust and think nothing else but tempo and hold your finish.  During that I'll also try to concentrate on working the ball one specific way.   If I can at least know that I can hit a fade on command, whether it's a 2 yard fade or 10 yard fade, my confidence will increase because I feel like I have at least some control over what I'm doing.  

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I’d go to a pro. In fact I just did it myself a couple weeks ago in exactly the same situation.

My last six rounds before the pro averaged 90, my six rounds since that half hour lesson have averaged 82. And I keep stats, my chipping and putting did not change. He made a couple changes, and it turns out what I was doing to fix my swing myself were literally the opposite of what he recommended - his suggestions worked. Some people can diagnose and fix their swings but IME most people will do better with a knowledgeable pro taking a look.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

When (not if) these slumps appear I'll go to the range or out for 9 holes and just hit a 7 or 6 iron all the way to the green.  I swing at 3/4 and use a really steep swing to make sure I am hitting the ball before the turf.  I just did a range session last weekend doing this and worked my way out of a wipey swing I had been stuck on for a month.  The iron contact improved in this past week's league but I did a bad job adjusting for the extra yardage and missed quite a few greens long.

• Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Posted (edited)

All very good advise and I will definately try to implement it all, I have been hiting plastic balls in my backyard and of course that seems like I am a dang pro 😂. I will be headed to the range Monday most likely and I might play tomorrow if I can find a babysitter for a few hours.

Too lazy to quote everyone sorry.

Edited by Ethan21
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I typically lose my swing each summer as well. Bad round or two then try to make little refinements then I'm thinking too much about the swing and down the dark twisty tunnel we go.  I typically take a week or so off and not think about the swing.  After, go to the range and try to just hit.  No targets, no distances, just swings without swing thoughts.  Easier said than done of course.  This year aka last week it took 2+ buckets of balls over a few nights.  Finally hit a few that felt right and figured it out....for now

• Like 2

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic

3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g

3 Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher Comp *will be replaced in the next month or two

4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff *fitted

52 & 56 Wedges: Cleveland RTX4

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: Vice Pro Plus or whatever premium ball was on sale recently

Sounds like a whole lot of mental stuff. I dont typically get in my head but end of last year I was hosling wedges like no ones business and it had me seriously worried, I literally could not stop it.

Luckily it was the off season and I literally practiced wedges with foam balls in my basement every single day and figured out what I was doing (takeaway and tempo). Cured this season and wedges have been strong for me.

Every person is different need to figure out what your action plan should be. For me it was practicing. Very roundabout answer but you are not the only one! Keep on keepin on!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸