Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver loft recommendations

Triad900

Hi All,

Looking for some general feedback on driver loft angles. The best approach is to get fitted but in this case I was offered a 9 or 10.5 degree Epic Max. I play a 9 today but that’s because it’s what I inherited. No issues with my launch angle but most people I know play a 10-10.5. Curious if I should also switch. Thanks for the feedback in advanced.

1 minute ago, Triad900 said:

Hi All,

Looking for some general feedback on driver loft angles. The best approach is to get fitted but in this case I was offered a 9 or 10.5 degree Epic Max. I play a 9 today but that’s because it’s what I inherited. No issues with my launch angle but most people I know play a 10-10.5. Curious if I should also switch. Thanks for the feedback in advanced.

It is really impossible to give you an answer without more information.  Most hosels provide adjustability so you can always loft up or down; understanding that this will open or close the face.   Just because you play a 9 in one driver doesn't mean that you will need a 9 in all drivers.   

So here are the questions:

What do you play today?   stock hosel settings?

you say no issues with launch angle:  how do you know this?  just happy with ball flight?

do you know your swing speed and carry distance?  

do you hit up or down on the ball?

If you want a generic answer, I could say get the 9 because you are happy with the launch angle and you can always loft up.   I could just as easily say get the 10.5 becuase most people think they hit the ball high but in reality don't and could use most height off the tee. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You were offered those lofts in a fitting?  I would say go with that.  It seems like you may be on the line of which one is better so it’s a toss up.

I don’t think anyone can give you feedback online better than a simulator or use data. 

Tough one. Not all 9 degree drivers are created the same.  If you can’t test the two drivers, then I would say go with the 9 degree. Like written earlier, you can tweak the loft if needed. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS