Jump to content

Cannot shake my John Daly swing!


TG8

Recommended Posts

I have had a long john daly swing since I was 13 years old(now 30). No matter what I try I simply cannot shorten it.  Iron play is fine but my driver is so inconsistent. When I was younger my driver was consistent somehow but in the last 5 years im all over the place with mostly pulls. Anyone struggle with this and have any tips or drills to try? I know most people will say “just shorten it“ but its tough especially when it slices and feels well under powered when i try it. Silly post for most people who have never had a long swing but its a struggle!

Edited by TG8
Added video
  • Like 1

WITB

  • cobra speedzone driver, 3 & 5 wood with hzrdus smoke shafts
  • mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 4-pw
  • cobra mim black 52 & 56 wedges
  • Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7 putter
Link to comment

A long swing isn't a death sentence.  Some guy named Mickelson just won a major championship a few weeks ago with a backswing that would make JD blush.

Rather than try and harness it, I would focus on your tempo and rhythm.  This sounds more like a timing problem than body mechanics, especially since your iron play isn't frustrating you.  

Send a few videos of your face on and down the line swing and there will be plenty of folks smarter than me who could possibly steer you in a good direction.

  • Like 3
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, bens197 said:

A long swing isn't a death sentence.  Some guy named Mickelson just won a major championship a few weeks ago with a backswing that would make JD blush.

Rather than try and harness it, I would focus on your tempo and rhythm.  This sounds more like a timing problem than body mechanics, especially since your iron play isn't frustrating you.  

Send a few videos of your face on and down the line swing and there will be plenty of folks smarter than me who could possibly steer you in a good direction.

Thanks I’ll work on getting a better video. I’ll upload a winter video !

  • Like 3

WITB

  • cobra speedzone driver, 3 & 5 wood with hzrdus smoke shafts
  • mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 4-pw
  • cobra mim black 52 & 56 wedges
  • Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7 putter
Link to comment

More than likely you are collapsing your trail elbow, more thank likely have a reverse pivot and/or really late wrist set.

as mentioned send video otherwise it’s all speculation

  • Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment

Video uploaded 

WITB

  • cobra speedzone driver, 3 & 5 wood with hzrdus smoke shafts
  • mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 4-pw
  • cobra mim black 52 & 56 wedges
  • Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7 putter
Link to comment
21 minutes ago, TG8 said:

Video uploaded 

Simply stated, there's a disconnect between your arms and torso.  You've got some solid action man, when I read your initial post I was expecting train wreck...this is not a train wreck.  

Great fundamentals...I say this a lot around here...remember to swing YOUR swing.  This is a good golf swing.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

Link to comment

I am NOT a golf instructor, so remember that.  If you want to shorten your backswing, try feeling like you are using your right hand to push your left arm straight in the backswing.  Another drill is to feel like you are keeping your right arm straight during your backswing.  Having said that, your long backswing may be a function of better than average flexibility.  In that case, just working on tempo may help more than anything.  Good luck.

  • Like 3

14 of the following:

Ping G425 Max

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

PXG 0311P Gen. 3  6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Link to comment

Man I am not going to critique a swing because I can barely correct mine but that looks like a bomb. I had a long swing and have reeled it in. Plane mate has helped me a lot and has been a really good assist for me in the short few months I’ve had it.

good luck, again swing looks pretty mint to me

  • Like 3

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment

I wish i was bombing it.  Swing 112mph with 2800-3000rpm spin.  Feel like im being robbed of some distance. Average driver is 260-275 yards 

  • Like 1

WITB

  • cobra speedzone driver, 3 & 5 wood with hzrdus smoke shafts
  • mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 4-pw
  • cobra mim black 52 & 56 wedges
  • Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7 putter
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, TG8 said:

I wish i was bombing it.  Swing 112mph with 2800-3000rpm spin.  Feel like im being robbed of some distance. Average driver is 260-275 yards 

What do you think the issue is? That spin is in a pretty good realm and at 112 you are definitely losing distance somewhere. Do you know what your ball speed is on average?

  • Like 1

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment

Sorry for the guessing but it was right about 159-160 if i recall but i need to get back to a simulator to verify. Nearest golf shop is a near 2 hour drive 😭 

  • Like 1

WITB

  • cobra speedzone driver, 3 & 5 wood with hzrdus smoke shafts
  • mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 4-pw
  • cobra mim black 52 & 56 wedges
  • Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7 putter
Link to comment

Nice powerful swing... wish I had it!  I'm not a swing coach, but I believe you are not using your long swing efficiently.  The longer the backswing, the longer it takes to get back to impact.  At the top of your backswing your first move down in transition is with the upper body, so you have to early extend to make contact.  Look at your butt throughout the swing (no, I'm not that kind of guy!).  Look where your right hip is at address... at the E in Power.  Then look where it is at impact... a lot closer and the left hip has moved to the R in the next word... 5 letters closer to the ball.  That's early extension.  Need to shallow the club in transition.  However, I could be wrong; my eyes are old and that swing was fast!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment

You start with a flat shoulder swing that leads to disconnected arms from body and no hip depth. Because of the disconnect and flat turn you and lack of hip depth you end up collapsing the right arm and getting more than 90*. Due to all of this your transition and downswing you early extend at the top of the swing and drop the right shoulder and eventually throw your hands at the ball.

The good thing is you have some good athleticism and hand eye coordination. 
 

Working the left shoulder down and towards the ball and keeping the arms connected to the chest until the left arm gets parallel will fix your issues. Also letting the upper body turn the hips in the back swing.

here’s a good video

 

 

  • Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
21 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Nice powerful swing... wish I had it!  I'm not a swing coach, but I believe you are not using your long swing efficiently.  The longer the backswing, the longer it takes to get back to impact.  At the top of your backswing your first move down in transition is with the upper body, so you have to early extend to make contact.  Look at your butt throughout the swing (no, I'm not that kind of guy!).  Look where your right hip is at address... at the E in Power.  Then look where it is at impact... a lot closer and the left hip has moved to the R in the next word... 5 letters closer to the ball.  That's early extension.  Need to shallow the club in transition.  However, I could be wrong; my eyes are old and that swing was fast!!

Great tips and made me laugh hard 😂

  • Like 1

WITB

  • cobra speedzone driver, 3 & 5 wood with hzrdus smoke shafts
  • mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 4-pw
  • cobra mim black 52 & 56 wedges
  • Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7 putter
Link to comment
21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You start with a flat shoulder swing that leads to disconnected arms from body and no hip depth. Because of the disconnect and flat turn you and lack of hip depth you end up collapsing the right arm and getting more than 90*. Due to all of this your transition and downswing you early extend at the top of the swing and drop the right shoulder and eventually throw your hands at the ball.

The good thing is you have some good athleticism and hand eye coordination. 
 

Working the left shoulder down and towards the ball and keeping the arms connected to the chest until the left arm gets parallel will fix your issues. Also letting the upper body turn the hips in the back swing.

here’s a good video

 

 

Awesome info thanks

  • Like 1

WITB

  • cobra speedzone driver, 3 & 5 wood with hzrdus smoke shafts
  • mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro 4-pw
  • cobra mim black 52 & 56 wedges
  • Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7 putter
Link to comment
On 7/30/2021 at 3:53 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

More than likely you are collapsing your trail elbow, more thank likely have a reverse pivot and/or really late wrist set.

as mentioned send video otherwise it’s all speculation

This was me to a tee. I used to play after work with my Dad. We would rush to the course to beat the league. To get loose I would swing my driver with the head cover on and let my arms collapse at the top to pull me a little more. It eventually worked it's way into my swing and really messed me up. Years later and I still overswing but not as bad.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...