Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cannot shake my John Daly swing!

I have had a long john daly swing since I was 13 years old(now 30). No matter what I try I simply cannot shorten it.  Iron play is fine but my driver is so inconsistent. When I was younger my driver was consistent somehow but in the last 5 years im all over the place with mostly pulls. Anyone struggle with this and have any tips or drills to try? I know most people will say “just shorten it“ but its tough especially when it slices and feels well under powered when i try it. Silly post for most people who have never had a long swing but its a struggle!

Edited by TG8
Added video

WITB

A long swing isn't a death sentence.  Some guy named Mickelson just won a major championship a few weeks ago with a backswing that would make JD blush.

Rather than try and harness it, I would focus on your tempo and rhythm.  This sounds more like a timing problem than body mechanics, especially since your iron play isn't frustrating you.  

Send a few videos of your face on and down the line swing and there will be plenty of folks smarter than me who could possibly steer you in a good direction.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

19 minutes ago, bens197 said:

A long swing isn't a death sentence.  Some guy named Mickelson just won a major championship a few weeks ago with a backswing that would make JD blush.

Rather than try and harness it, I would focus on your tempo and rhythm.  This sounds more like a timing problem than body mechanics, especially since your iron play isn't frustrating you.  

Send a few videos of your face on and down the line swing and there will be plenty of folks smarter than me who could possibly steer you in a good direction.

Thanks I’ll work on getting a better video. I’ll upload a winter video !

WITB

More than likely you are collapsing your trail elbow, more thank likely have a reverse pivot and/or really late wrist set.

as mentioned send video otherwise it’s all speculation

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Video uploaded 

WITB

21 minutes ago, TG8 said:

Video uploaded 

Simply stated, there's a disconnect between your arms and torso.  You've got some solid action man, when I read your initial post I was expecting train wreck...this is not a train wreck.  

Great fundamentals...I say this a lot around here...remember to swing YOUR swing.  This is a good golf swing.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I am NOT a golf instructor, so remember that.  If you want to shorten your backswing, try feeling like you are using your right hand to push your left arm straight in the backswing.  Another drill is to feel like you are keeping your right arm straight during your backswing.  Having said that, your long backswing may be a function of better than average flexibility.  In that case, just working on tempo may help more than anything.  Good luck.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Man I am not going to critique a swing because I can barely correct mine but that looks like a bomb. I had a long swing and have reeled it in. Plane mate has helped me a lot and has been a really good assist for me in the short few months I’ve had it.

good luck, again swing looks pretty mint to me

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I wish i was bombing it.  Swing 112mph with 2800-3000rpm spin.  Feel like im being robbed of some distance. Average driver is 260-275 yards 

WITB

25 minutes ago, TG8 said:

I wish i was bombing it.  Swing 112mph with 2800-3000rpm spin.  Feel like im being robbed of some distance. Average driver is 260-275 yards 

What do you think the issue is? That spin is in a pretty good realm and at 112 you are definitely losing distance somewhere. Do you know what your ball speed is on average?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Sorry for the guessing but it was right about 159-160 if i recall but i need to get back to a simulator to verify. Nearest golf shop is a near 2 hour drive 😭 

WITB

Nice powerful swing... wish I had it!  I'm not a swing coach, but I believe you are not using your long swing efficiently.  The longer the backswing, the longer it takes to get back to impact.  At the top of your backswing your first move down in transition is with the upper body, so you have to early extend to make contact.  Look at your butt throughout the swing (no, I'm not that kind of guy!).  Look where your right hip is at address... at the E in Power.  Then look where it is at impact... a lot closer and the left hip has moved to the R in the next word... 5 letters closer to the ball.  That's early extension.  Need to shallow the club in transition.  However, I could be wrong; my eyes are old and that swing was fast!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You start with a flat shoulder swing that leads to disconnected arms from body and no hip depth. Because of the disconnect and flat turn you and lack of hip depth you end up collapsing the right arm and getting more than 90*. Due to all of this your transition and downswing you early extend at the top of the swing and drop the right shoulder and eventually throw your hands at the ball.

The good thing is you have some good athleticism and hand eye coordination. 

Working the left shoulder down and towards the ball and keeping the arms connected to the chest until the left arm gets parallel will fix your issues. Also letting the upper body turn the hips in the back swing.

here’s a good video

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Nice powerful swing... wish I had it!  I'm not a swing coach, but I believe you are not using your long swing efficiently.  The longer the backswing, the longer it takes to get back to impact.  At the top of your backswing your first move down in transition is with the upper body, so you have to early extend to make contact.  Look at your butt throughout the swing (no, I'm not that kind of guy!).  Look where your right hip is at address... at the E in Power.  Then look where it is at impact... a lot closer and the left hip has moved to the R in the next word... 5 letters closer to the ball.  That's early extension.  Need to shallow the club in transition.  However, I could be wrong; my eyes are old and that swing was fast!!

Great tips and made me laugh hard 😂

WITB

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You start with a flat shoulder swing that leads to disconnected arms from body and no hip depth. Because of the disconnect and flat turn you and lack of hip depth you end up collapsing the right arm and getting more than 90*. Due to all of this your transition and downswing you early extend at the top of the swing and drop the right shoulder and eventually throw your hands at the ball.

The good thing is you have some good athleticism and hand eye coordination. 

Working the left shoulder down and towards the ball and keeping the arms connected to the chest until the left arm gets parallel will fix your issues. Also letting the upper body turn the hips in the back swing.

here’s a good video

Awesome info thanks

WITB

On 7/30/2021 at 3:53 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

More than likely you are collapsing your trail elbow, more thank likely have a reverse pivot and/or really late wrist set.

as mentioned send video otherwise it’s all speculation

This was me to a tee. I used to play after work with my Dad. We would rush to the course to beat the league. To get loose I would swing my driver with the head cover on and let my arms collapse at the top to pull me a little more. It eventually worked it's way into my swing and really messed me up. Years later and I still overswing but not as bad.