TESTERS WANTED! ×

Project Set of Irons

As I start building up my inventory of build-bench tools and specialty equipment, I've been thinking about possible used irons as the first "project set".  I've been poking around on eBay looking at various used iron head only and iron sets (much more inventory of the latter) and which make/models would be a good choice.  I was so close to choosing Mizuno JPX919 at my first ever fitting, those (or at least Mizuno) are high on my list. Also interested in those considered the most forgiving forged irons (never owned a set of MB/CB forged). To keep price down, I'm also considering older generation models but highly reviewed/regarded.

I plan to pick up a handful of thrift store clubs to learn shaft removal and grip R&R before embarking on whatever project set I end up with.  But with some time to go before the bench is ready, I figured I'd start shopping for that first project. Thoughts on some good options?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Your basic tools for starter should not be too long a list.  Most of the hobbyists build their tool inventory as they move along.  Some tools are just too bulky / expensive to acquire unless one is doing volume and/or profit from it.  There is no such thing as a work shop with complete tools.  If you want to come close to a complete shop, think of $12-$16 K for all the toys + more.  A budget complete shop is around $6K-$8K.

Assuming you had already done the re-griping and have those done pat.   The heat source to breakdown/soften the epoxy to separate the shaft from the hosel is the next tool.  Propane torch , heat gun, mini torch.. all applicable.  I prefer the propane torch with pencil flame head nozzle.  These can be had at your local hardware store, or online.  Shouldn't be too expensive.  I like this option because it provide enough heat fast and concentrate at where it's needed.  Most the professional golf club smith prefer this option.  But all the other options work.

The next larger purchase should be a graphite shaft puller/extractor.  The manual extractor also works but the benefit of the hydraulic tool will be the separation of the heated hosel from the shaft immediately after the epoxy is broken down.  This will minimize the heat damage to the tip of the shaft.  Not to mention less elbow grease to operate.  In my view, it'll be a great investment if you'll pull more than a couple of shafts each year.  You can build one from parts, may have to have machine shop stamp/mill a few parts for you but most of the parts could be assembled from hardware store.  Fully assemble unit often found under $200.  Find one with the hydraulic unit could be unbolt and changed in the future, they won't last forever.

A good bench vice is indispensable, you can improvise with the rubber paddings from hardware store or recycle parts from around the house.  The "grip" which is the friction provided between the jaws of the vice and the graphite shaft should be enough , so you won't need to over tighten the hold and cause damage to the shaft.  This is important because the lighter weight of the shaft all have thinner wall.  Cracked shaft is one of the common mistake from the rookies.  A piece of the inner tube from the bicycle tire added to the rubber pads wrap around the shaft, works well most of the time. 

+ a good belt and disc sander / polisher.  ( vacuum unit is optional but recommended for your shop's cleanliness and the health of your lungs ) 

Off you go with the heat source and a good puller.  Of course, continue to add some tools here and there, like a kid in the candy store, never enough of the goodies.

Edited by release

I don't know if you are into classics or not but you can find old Wilson Staff irons at thrift stores or on ebay fairly regularly & on the cheap side and a lot of times those shafts are rusted and should be replaced.  That would be a good starter project and give you a classic set to play a round with periodically.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 hours ago, release said:

There is no such thing as a work shop with complete tools.  If you want to come close to a complete shop, think of $12-$16 K for all the toys + more.  A budget complete shop is around $6K-$8K.

To be sure, I'll not be spending anywhere near that amount.  To begin with, the swing weight machine and shaft puller will be the two large, more specialized, ticket items.  I just purchased a used Golfsmith SW unit and tracking shows it arriving on Tuesday.  Based on all the information I've found thus far, primarily old threads here and on GolfWRX), I'm leaning towards buying this Maltby unit. Graphite Shaft Extractor (golfworks.com) I have a rock solid, high quality bench vise and have already purchased the rubber shaft insert.  

I need to pick up a hot air gun or butane torch, a grip blow-off nozzle and some hook razor blades but I have most everything else. My large, older air compressor has been having issues so I was going to replace that anyway - likely a 6 gal. pancake style.  These items collectively will be ~$500.

I would like to get a quality loft/lie unit.  By all accounts, Mitchell is the preferred mfg. but even the entry level run ~$1400.  I'll just take some time watching for used ones to pop up.  Heck, even if I sprung for a new one, I'm all in for ~$2000.  That's probably less than my fly tying bench 🙂.

27 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

To be sure, I'll not be spending anywhere near that amount.  To begin with, the swing weight machine and shaft puller will be the two large, more specialized, ticket items.  I just purchased a used Golfsmith SW unit and tracking shows it arriving on Tuesday.  Based on all the information I've found thus far, primarily old threads here and on GolfWRX), I'm leaning towards buying this Maltby unit. Graphite Shaft Extractor (golfworks.com) I have a rock solid, high quality bench vise and have already purchased the rubber shaft insert.  

I need to pick up a hot air gun or butane torch, a grip blow-off nozzle and some hook razor blades but I have most everything else. My large, older air compressor has been having issues so I was going to replace that anyway - likely a 6 gal. pancake style.  These items collectively will be ~$500.

I would like to get a quality loft/lie unit.  By all accounts, Mitchell is the preferred mfg. but even the entry level run ~$1400.  I'll just take some time watching for used ones to pop up.  Heck, even if I sprung for a new one, I'm all in for ~$2000.  That's probably less than my fly tying bench 🙂.

The manual Maltby ( golfworks ) puller/extractor will last you a life time. 

The Air Compressor w/ Attachment tools,  Hook Razor blades, butane mini torch...Will set you back maybe half of the $500 budge if you look into Harbor Freight Tools.  HF has some good quality air compressor on sale now.

Bridgestone J40 DPCs would be on my list. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

21 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Bridgestone J40 DPCs would be on my list. 

Thanks for the reply/suggestion!  I've poking around seeing what heritage irons were/are considered amongst the most forgiving forged, and see Bridgestone's often listed.  I think it would be fun to re-shaft an iron set that falls in that area between P and GI.  I'm strongly of the opinion the ZX5's are just that but they are not a solid forged design which is something I'd like to try.

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Thanks for the reply/suggestion!  I've poking around seeing what heritage irons were/are considered amongst the most forgiving forged, and see Bridgestone's often listed.  I think it would be fun to re-shaft an iron set that falls in that area between P and GI.  I'm strongly of the opinion the ZX5's are just that but they are not a solid forged design which is something I'd like to try.

Yes, I saw you had the ZX5s and thought it would be a comparable iron in terms of playability. No sense building a beautiful blade set that you hate to hit. More traditional lofts, so you would give up some distance, but its a great feeling iron. Theres a reason Freddy Couples played them for a million years. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

On 8/1/2021 at 3:44 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I've had my eye on the next more expensive kit as it includes the spring loaded shaft extractor and a bunch of other stuff that seems like it would be used.  It's $90 more but I think it might be worth it.  I'm still gun shy trying to decide if I'll really use it that much to make it worth not having someone else just pull shafts for me.

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-total-shop-set-up-kit/p/gw2023/

51 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I've had my eye on the next more expensive kit as it includes the spring loaded shaft extractor and a bunch of other stuff that seems like it would be used.  It's $90 more but I think it might be worth it.  I'm still gun shy trying to decide if I'll really use it that much to make it worth not having someone else just pull shafts for me.

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-total-shop-set-up-kit/p/gw2023/

Oh I'm pretty sure we'd be money ahead just having someone else do the work.  I could buy a fly shop for the money I have invested in fly tying equipment and consumables... come to think of it, I probably have 🙂.  I just think it would be fun tinkering with club builds, modifications, etc.  Seems like the spring load just helps you know when sufficient heat has been applied to break the adhesive bond and lower the chance of overheating.  Some say just being patient and a very light pre-load on the screw accomplishes the same thing.

On 8/1/2021 at 1:44 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Bill, I don't have a lot invested in building tools; just the simple stuff to pull shafts and grip clubs.  When you are ordering from Golfworks, I recommend a ferrule install tool.  I installed ferrules without one for years, but added it to an order last year, and it's much easier to install using it.

I would really like a machine to adjust lie angle, since any club I get has to be flatter than standard.  Since it's not something I do on a regular basis, I take my clubs to the local golf shop and pay the small fee.  If you get a machine, you might get visits occasionally.  😉

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@fixyurdivot- seems like we are twins. we both play ZX5s and i am also currently building my golf workbench (re-building actually).

I messed around with different shaft extractors, some cheap, some up to $250. They were ok, but I stopped messing around and bought the Mitchell commercial shaft pulled. Was a bit over $400, but its so smooth and awesome. 

SGSPEZ-01.jpg

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

6 hours ago, dlow206 said:

@fixyurdivot- seems like we are twins. we both play ZX5s and i am also currently building my golf workbench (re-building actually).

I messed around with different shaft extractors, some cheap, some up to $250. They were ok, but I stopped messing around and bought the Mitchell commercial shaft pulled. Was a bit over $400, but its so smooth and awesome. 

SGSPEZ-01.jpg

I was actually looking at the old one you had what were the cons that made you get a different one ? 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

@fixyurdivoti also been looking on eBay for heads only .. some of the prices are crazy for just the heads .. I actually found some of the models I wanted to be cheaper with shafts .. might be an option you can swap out the old and keep them to mess around with. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

3 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

I was actually looking at the old one you had what were the cons that made you get a different one ? 

Which one (i had multiple)? The bottle jack style or the golf mechanix one?

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

9 hours ago, dlow206 said:

SGSPEZ-01.jpg

Ha.  Well, we'll claim great minds think alike 🙂.  That really does look like a solid unit.  Which other makes/models did you try?  For price point, I'm leaning towards this one from Golfworks.

image.png.aa5f9ba92ecbabd1720a7e5d7ccc16ab.png

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Bill, I don't have a lot invested in building tools; just the simple stuff to pull shafts and grip clubs.  When you are ordering from Golfworks, I recommend a ferrule install tool.  I installed ferrules without one for years, but added it to an order last year, and it's much easier to install using it.

I would really like a machine to adjust lie angle, since any club I get has to be flatter than standard.  Since it's not something I do on a regular basis, I take my clubs to the local golf shop and pay the small fee.  If you get a machine, you might get visits occasionally.  😉

Never heard of a ferrule install tool... the list grows.  Any particular one?  The pro at Beaverhead GC said I might start getting lots of visits once I get set-up... possibly the only person within a 100 mile radius with club build capability.  How does "Off The Grid Golfsmith" sound for the shop sign?   

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Ha.  Well, we'll claim great minds think alike 🙂.  That really does look like a solid unit.  Which other makes/models did you try?  For price point, I'm leaning towards this one from Golfworks.

I have had three different ones.

• The super cheap one (think it was called the value extractor): You really get what you pay for on that one, ruined a few shafts with it.
  • Bottle jack style: It was powerful, but had two flaws. First was because it was vertical, you had to place the extractor up higher than workbench height when pulling an adapter off. Second was that the shaft would often times slip and move
  • Golf Mechanix compact graphite extractor: This one seemed like it should be good because it also has a spring to improve the extraction process. But something was faulty with it. Maybe it was a defect with the item i received or maybe user error

The Mitchell one i bought has awesome power and i like that it has the turning handle instead of the wrench. When i did a test pull of an adapter of a graphite shaft, it was the easiest pull ever, didn't have to use as much heat.

Updated 07/15/2022

42 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I have had three different ones.

• The super cheap one (think it was called the value extractor): You really get what you pay for on that one, ruined a few shafts with it.
  • Bottle jack style: It was powerful, but had two flaws. First was because it was vertical, you had to place the extractor up higher than workbench height when pulling an adapter off. Second was that the shaft would often times slip and move
  • Golf Mechanix compact graphite extractor: This one seemed like it should be good because it also has a spring to improve the extraction process. But something was faulty with it. Maybe it was a defect with the item i received or maybe user error

The Mitchell one i bought has awesome power and i like that it has the turning handle instead of the wrench. When i did a test pull of an adapter of a graphite shaft, it was the easiest pull ever, didn't have to use as much heat.

Great info, thanks! While the hydraulic has the power advantage, I think it would lack the "feel" one would want in knowing when the adhesive bond begins to give. Based on everything I've read thus far, going cheap on shaft pullers is No Bueno.  The thing about the Mitchell unit is that its value isn't going to significantly drop off over time, and will fetch close to what you have invested in it if, at some point, you decide to sell.

@releaseand a few other posts on various threads give the Maltby unit high marks... decisions, decisions. 🤔

36 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Which one (i had multiple)? The bottle jack style or the golf mechanix one?

haha I should of figured .. yes the bottle jack style one had the shaft standing upright. 

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great info, thanks! While the hydraulic has the power advantage, I think it would lack the "feel" one would want in knowing when the adhesive bond begins to give. Based on everything I've read thus far, going cheap on shaft pullers is No Bueno.  The thing is about the Mitchell unit is that its value isn't going to significantly drop off over time, and will fetch close to what you have invested in it if, at some point, you decide to sell.

@releaseand a few other posts on various threads give the Maltby unit high marks... decisions, decisions. 🤔

For the Mitchell puller, if you place your order via phone, they will give free shipping. When I had reached out to them asking for a discount, they had said no but free shipping if i called. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Never heard of a ferrule install tool... the list grows.  Any particular one?  The pro at Beaverhead GC said I might start getting lots of visits once I get set-up... possibly the only person within a 100 mile radius with club build capability.  How does "Off The Grid Golfsmith" sound for the shop sign?   

You don't need a ferrule install tool, but it's a lot easier with it.  

I got this one.    https://www.golfworks.com/ferrule-installation-tool/p/gw0123/

These are nice to clean epoxy from hosels:    https://www.golfworks.com/hosel-honing-wire-brush/p/gw1060/
Price is for one; either wood or iron.  Get both.  I have a drill press, but any drill will work.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Bottle jack style: It was powerful, but had two flaws. First was because it was vertical, you had to place the extractor up higher than workbench height when pulling an adapter off. Second was that the shaft would often times slip and move

Should be able to lay the unit on it's side to operate with the golf club going horizontal on top of work bench.  Look further if the one you're comparing could not operate both vertically, and horizontally.

As for shaft not secure/slipping.  Use a small piece of the inner tube of bicycle tire to provide additional traction/grip.  

The hydraulic unit will start separating the shaft and the head immediately at the moment the epoxy bond is broken.  Faster than the manual kind.

But it is absolutely up to the user to make the selection to fit the needs and budget.  There are those who use the top of the line equipment and still have issues ( operator's error ! ).

Anyone who could perform simple task around the house, should have no problem performing simple golf club repair, up-grade.  However, it is a learned process.  Ask question, hands on and accumulate knowledge.

This is not my mainline of work, hence , it took a long time before I am comfortable with different tasks. 

It's fun, not quite as addictive as the game of golf itself but one could get the satisfaction from such simple task.

Warren Buffett / Bill Gates still do the dishes manually once in awhile.  Simple task will give the feeling of accomplishment.    

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You don't need a ferrule install tool, but it's a lot easier with it.  

Yes, it could be "easier", and yes, I never had a ferrule installation tool.

First of all, if you have the digital caliper , measure and order the ID/OD that fits your needs, one would not need to even turn the ferrule to fit.

If no close fit available ( happens to me a lot since I like to order in bulk ).  Order the smaller I.D., / larger O.D.  The reason is obvious.

A rat tail file will take care of the smaller I.D. in seconds and also prep the ferrule at the same time.  

Thoughts on Maltby TS-1, TS-2, or other series irons?  The photos sure give the impression of top shelf quality and the price point on these are amazing.  The TS-1 are listed as PD yet they have less aggressive loft than the TS-2... seems odd.

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Thoughts on Maltby TS-1, TS-2, or other series irons?  The photos sure give the impression of top shelf quality and the price point on these are amazing.  The TS-1 are listed as PD yet they have less aggressive loft than the TS-2... seems odd.

I have been playing TS1's for a year. As good as there is. Great feel, nice penetrating ball flight, plenty of spin, and very consistent. My judge of irons is how much can I be pin high? I am there a lot. 

Even though they are forgiving, they are plenty workable. I bent mine to where I have a 4° loft difference. I am playing 5-pw. I am playing arojnd with a 4i.

Buy one iron and play with it. I was playing Snake Eyes 675B blades before that. I built the 5i and after 2 swings, I knew I would build the set. 

Edited by jtgavigan

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, jtgavigan said:

I have been playing TS1's for a year. As good as there is. Great feel, nice penetrating ball flight, plenty of spin, and very consistent. My judge of irons is how much can I be pin high? I am there a lot. 

Even though they are forgiving, they are plenty workable. I bent mine to where I have a 4° loft difference. I am playing 5-pw. I am playing arojnd with a 4i.

Buy one iron and play with it. I was playing Snake Eyes 675B blades before that. I built the 5i and after 2 swings, I knew I would build the set. 

Thanks for the feedback JT and welcome to the forum!  I do see many positive comments about the Maltby irons.  I was recently fitted for irons which was primarily to move into composite shafts.  Accra ICWT 75, MMT 80, and Recoil ES780 were the best results in that order.  Having these identified helps as I consider different options for a "project build".  I like the idea of using one of these shafts and being able to build a 6i or 7i of a Maltby or other heads for trial.  I can always pull that shaft and reuse it on another head.

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure which direction I want to go from the current/new ZX5's. More towards players or back towards GI.  Only two rounds with the ZX5's, so its a bit too early to know how they'll work out... but so far so good.  

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Thanks for the feedback JT and welcome to the forum!  I do see many positive comments about the Maltby irons.  I was recently fitted for irons which was primarily to move into composite shafts.  Accra ICWT 75, MMT 80, and Recoil ES780 were the best results in that order.  Having these identified helps as I consider different options for a "project build".  I like the idea of using one of these shafts and being able to build a 6i or 7i of a Maltby or other heads for trial.  I can always pull that shaft and reuse it on another head.

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure which direction I want to go from the current/new ZX5's. More towards players or back towards GI.  Only two rounds with the ZX5's, so its a bit too early to know how they'll work out... but so far so good.  

No problem. The Maltby irons are quality. The woods, well, for me they don't work. I am a high spin player and none of them have worked well for me.

I have been here a while, but mostly lurk. 😁

-Jim

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120x soft stepped once, D5, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

Just finished assembling my new workbench (no golf tools installed yet).

image.png.a6c9cd73d2f860104a33a089adc22e21.png

Updated 07/15/2022

On 8/8/2021 at 3:51 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Anyone who knows me also knows I'll always throw my $.2 in the ring on Maltby and more specifically the TS-1's. I've compared them to most everything out there in the same or similar class and IMO they could be placed in the top 3 best in production. 

I'd say the TS-1's are slightly more forgiving than the ZX5's with a little more spin too. Feel is going to be more explosive off the face but just as soft. Workability is top notch too. 

It's definitely worth a go if you can build a 7i to try out. Also, I'd maybe suggest a PW or GW too since theyre a straight forged 1 piece and will have the largest face profile of the set. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 8/11/2021 at 7:33 PM, dlow206 said:

Just finished assembling my new workbench (no golf tools installed yet).

image.png.a6c9cd73d2f860104a33a089adc22e21.png

Solid looking bench.  Brand/model?