Project Set of Irons

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Ha.  Well, we'll claim great minds think alike 🙂.  That really does look like a solid unit.  Which other makes/models did you try?  For price point, I'm leaning towards this one from Golfworks.

image.png.aa5f9ba92ecbabd1720a7e5d7ccc16ab.png

Never heard of a ferrule install tool... the list grows.  Any particular one?  The pro at Beaverhead GC said I might start getting lots of visits once I get set-up... possibly the only person within a 100 mile radius with club build capability.  How does "Off The Grid Golfsmith" sound for the shop sign?   

You don't need a ferrule install tool, but it's a lot easier with it.  

I got this one.    https://www.golfworks.com/ferrule-installation-tool/p/gw0123/

These are nice to clean epoxy from hosels:    https://www.golfworks.com/hosel-honing-wire-brush/p/gw1060/
Price is for one; either wood or iron.  Get both.  I have a drill press, but any drill will work.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Bottle jack style: It was powerful, but had two flaws. First was because it was vertical, you had to place the extractor up higher than workbench height when pulling an adapter off. Second was that the shaft would often times slip and move

Should be able to lay the unit on it's side to operate with the golf club going horizontal on top of work bench.  Look further if the one you're comparing could not operate both vertically, and horizontally.

As for shaft not secure/slipping.  Use a small piece of the inner tube of bicycle tire to provide additional traction/grip.  

The hydraulic unit will start separating the shaft and the head immediately at the moment the epoxy bond is broken.  Faster than the manual kind.

But it is absolutely up to the user to make the selection to fit the needs and budget.  There are those who use the top of the line equipment and still have issues ( operator's error ! ).

Anyone who could perform simple task around the house, should have no problem performing simple golf club repair, up-grade.  However, it is a learned process.  Ask question, hands on and accumulate knowledge.

This is not my mainline of work, hence , it took a long time before I am comfortable with different tasks. 

It's fun, not quite as addictive as the game of golf itself but one could get the satisfaction from such simple task.

Warren Buffett / Bill Gates still do the dishes manually once in awhile.  Simple task will give the feeling of accomplishment.    

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You don't need a ferrule install tool, but it's a lot easier with it.  

Yes, it could be "easier", and yes, I never had a ferrule installation tool.

First of all, if you have the digital caliper , measure and order the ID/OD that fits your needs, one would not need to even turn the ferrule to fit.

If no close fit available ( happens to me a lot since I like to order in bulk ).  Order the smaller I.D., / larger O.D.  The reason is obvious.

A rat tail file will take care of the smaller I.D. in seconds and also prep the ferrule at the same time.  

• Like 1

Thoughts on Maltby TS-1, TS-2, or other series irons?  The photos sure give the impression of top shelf quality and the price point on these are amazing.  The TS-1 are listed as PD yet they have less aggressive loft than the TS-2... seems odd.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Thoughts on Maltby TS-1, TS-2, or other series irons?  The photos sure give the impression of top shelf quality and the price point on these are amazing.  The TS-1 are listed as PD yet they have less aggressive loft than the TS-2... seems odd.

I have been playing TS1's for a year. As good as there is. Great feel, nice penetrating ball flight, plenty of spin, and very consistent. My judge of irons is how much can I be pin high? I am there a lot. 

Even though they are forgiving, they are plenty workable. I bent mine to where I have a 4° loft difference. I am playing 5-pw. I am playing arojnd with a 4i.

Buy one iron and play with it. I was playing Snake Eyes 675B blades before that. I built the 5i and after 2 swings, I knew I would build the set. 

Edited by jtgavigan
  • Like 3

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", D3 surefit and H2, D5 SW, 45 3/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber Avalon T6*, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft,

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120X soft stepped once, 4-6, Dynamic Gold Sensicore x100 7-pw, D4, 2° flat

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

2 hours ago, jtgavigan said:

I have been playing TS1's for a year. As good as there is. Great feel, nice penetrating ball flight, plenty of spin, and very consistent. My judge of irons is how much can I be pin high? I am there a lot. 

Even though they are forgiving, they are plenty workable. I bent mine to where I have a 4° loft difference. I am playing 5-pw. I am playing arojnd with a 4i.

Buy one iron and play with it. I was playing Snake Eyes 675B blades before that. I built the 5i and after 2 swings, I knew I would build the set. 

Thanks for the feedback JT and welcome to the forum!  I do see many positive comments about the Maltby irons.  I was recently fitted for irons which was primarily to move into composite shafts.  Accra ICWT 75, MMT 80, and Recoil ES780 were the best results in that order.  Having these identified helps as I consider different options for a "project build".  I like the idea of using one of these shafts and being able to build a 6i or 7i of a Maltby or other heads for trial.  I can always pull that shaft and reuse it on another head.

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure which direction I want to go from the current/new ZX5's. More towards players or back towards GI.  Only two rounds with the ZX5's, so its a bit too early to know how they'll work out... but so far so good.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Thanks for the feedback JT and welcome to the forum!  I do see many positive comments about the Maltby irons.  I was recently fitted for irons which was primarily to move into composite shafts.  Accra ICWT 75, MMT 80, and Recoil ES780 were the best results in that order.  Having these identified helps as I consider different options for a "project build".  I like the idea of using one of these shafts and being able to build a 6i or 7i of a Maltby or other heads for trial.  I can always pull that shaft and reuse it on another head.

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure which direction I want to go from the current/new ZX5's. More towards players or back towards GI.  Only two rounds with the ZX5's, so its a bit too early to know how they'll work out... but so far so good.  

No problem. The Maltby irons are quality. The woods, well, for me they don't work. I am a high spin player and none of them have worked well for me.

I have been here a while, but mostly lurk. 😁

-Jim

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", D3 surefit and H2, D5 SW, 45 3/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber Avalon T6*, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft,

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120X soft stepped once, 4-6, Dynamic Gold Sensicore x100 7-pw, D4, 2° flat

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

Just finished assembling my new workbench (no golf tools installed yet).

image.png.a6c9cd73d2f860104a33a089adc22e21.png

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 8/8/2021 at 3:51 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Anyone who knows me also knows I'll always throw my $.2 in the ring on Maltby and more specifically the TS-1's. I've compared them to most everything out there in the same or similar class and IMO they could be placed in the top 3 best in production. 

I'd say the TS-1's are slightly more forgiving than the ZX5's with a little more spin too. Feel is going to be more explosive off the face but just as soft. Workability is top notch too. 

It's definitely worth a go if you can build a 7i to try out. Also, I'd maybe suggest a PW or GW too since theyre a straight forged 1 piece and will have the largest face profile of the set. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 8/11/2021 at 7:33 PM, dlow206 said:

Just finished assembling my new workbench (no golf tools installed yet).

image.png.a6c9cd73d2f860104a33a089adc22e21.png

Solid looking bench.  Brand/model?

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Anyone who knows me also knows I'll always throw my $.2 in the ring on Maltby and more specifically the TS-1's. I've compared them to most everything out there in the same or similar class and IMO they could be placed in the top 3 best in production. 

I'd say the TS-1's are slightly more forgiving than the ZX5's with a little more spin too. Feel is going to be more explosive off the face but just as soft. Workability is top notch too. 

It's definitely worth a go if you can build a 7i to try out. Also, I'd maybe suggest a PW or GW too since theyre a straight forged 1 piece and will have the largest face profile of the set. 

Great feedback, thanks!

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Solid looking bench.  Brand/model?

The frame is: Shop Fox D3304 26 Inch x 26 Inch Compact Workbench. The wood came from a place that sells table tops. 

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4