Titleist T100s

Golfin83

Titleist achieved perfection in 1993 and have yet to reproduce it.  I have 4 sets of "modern day" irons sitting in my closet and gathering dust.  The CB series came close and WHEN I fail to find anymore 962's on ebay they may get their day in the sun.  I get made fun of regularly for my "antiques" until we settle out at the 19th hole.  I'm not sure why this "testers wanted" post got me so hard to sign up and make a post but here I am.  I doubt to get a tester pick so I'll leave my plea here...Not everyone chases distance, with what we can do with drivers now irons do not need to be delofted for distance (and yes the 2 degrees you can change in a fitting doesn't cover it).  Kind of ironic that I am Titleist biggest fan and hardest critic...I might be a small percentage but a little nod to distance control with your upper tier blades would be appreciated.  I know it sounds counter intuitive but I'd like to think their are more people like me who would give up yardage on irons to be able to cover numbers.  I don't care about the look/feel of the latest generation, with enough swings we can get used to anything....I'm just begging for loft control.  Being able to dial in a set of irons to what numbers you need is essential.  I started this post with intentions of making a case for a trial selection, I know longer would want one.  I'm sure the "newest line" is beautiful and eye pleasing...but is it functional? While it's impressive to hit a PW 160 yards it helps nothing.   I hope next years release has an option for loft control.  #DistanceIsn'tEverything 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 2

Nice prox, good bogey 😂

Sorry about the rant, the final round of the Olympics is a bit late for me and I'm a couple drinks in...Just needed to get this off my chest for a couple years now, It's not all distance.  I'd rather have an option to control the distance.

Nice prox, good bogey 😂

8 hours ago, Golfin83 said:

I'm sure the "newest line" is beautiful and eye pleasing...but is it functional? While it's impressive to hit a PW 160 yards it helps nothing.   I hope next years release has an option for loft control.  #DistanceIsn'tEverything 

Well the new line isn’t really about distance. The 100 isn’t a distance iron and the 100-s aren’t either. I hit the 100-s today and they don’t go further than the previous version and are about the same distance I’ve seen from the Ap2 and both the ap2 and t100 are the most played on tour so not really pure distance clubs.

the t200 and 300 are like every other club on the market from other manufacturers. They are designed to help those who need help to get the ball in the air or reduce spin. I have a friend who doesn’t need distance help and is a low single digit that plays the ap3. 

What you didn’t talk about in your rant js titleist chose not to release a new cb or mb this release because there was nothing to improve on and still have those in their lineup. 

Edit: posts pleading for a test opportunity isn’t how testers get chosen. If you want to be a tester contribute to the forum and the opportunities will come. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The T100 and T100s have 4 degree gaps and, to me, that is what counts. The number stamped on the club doesn’t matter as long as the gapping is right. 

• Like 5

14 of the following:

Ping G425 Max

Callaway Epic Max 5 wood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

PXG 0311P Gen. 3  6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

At the risk of launching another loft-jacking debate, it drives me crazy when a stronger lofted iron set is instantly written off and derided without paying ANY attention to the other engineering that goes into the club.  The fact is, optimal launch and spin conditions for a given club can still be achieved at those lofts, for some.  Sure, maybe some OEMs in the GI or SGI category don't pay attention to that, but you can't tell me Titleist is guilty of that in the Player's Distance Space. 

Get fit and maybe it's you who can achieve those conditions.  If not, drive on...not sure what there is to get upset about.

• Like 5

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

On 8/1/2021 at 7:47 AM, Hook DeLoft said:

The T100 and T100s have 4 degree gaps and, to me, that is what counts. The number stamped on the club doesn’t matter as long as the gapping is right. 

While you are correct about gapping, what's far more important than loft is yardage. Gapping by loft is merely a starting point and ideal yardage gaps can be achieved with more or less loft between clubs depending on how the club is designed which is why long irons often shift to 3 degree gaps.

It is always worth doing a gap analysis when purchasing new clubs to make sure you can actually hit the intended target.

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

9 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

At the risk of launching another loft-jacking debate, it drives me crazy when a stronger lofted iron set is instantly written off and derided without paying ANY attention to the other engineering that goes into the club.  The fact is, optimal launch and spin conditions for a given club can still be achieved at those lofts, for some.  Sure, maybe some OEMs in the GI or SGI category don't pay attention to that, but you can't tell me Titleist is guilty of that in the Player's Distance Space. 

Get fit and maybe it's you who can achieve those conditions.  If not, drive on...not sure what there is to get upset about.

Yup and @Golfspy_CG2 posted a video from titleist not to long ago showing the launch numbers from a golds doing a fitting and how the numbers compared for each of the lines and what benefited the golfer and why. 

• Like 3

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Correct. There are so many considerations taken and the T100 vs T100 S demonstrate this perfectly. It wasn't simply enough for Titleist to adjust the loft and call it a day, they re-engineered the club so that grind and bounce would match and even created a small pocket behind the face (the "muscle channel") to further enhance performance. 

• Like 3

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

12 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I was in the anti loft jacking club, not too long ago actually.

I now play the T100S irons.  They are magical… I can’t imagine NOT  playing with stronger lofts.  Yes, the PW goes far, I just hit one 166 yards last round out, but I am averaging around 153 with it according to Arccos and my “smart distance”.  My 48° wedge is averaging 145 yards, same Arccos is telling me that.  Looking at those, I could actually, based on my “PW” (the 48°) go a degree or two lower on the PW, or perhaps bend the 48° a smidge weak.

The way I look at it is, they are just a Strong of each club.  If said club goes 153, the next one goes 165, the next 177, and so on. That is reliable distance, and controlable.  Probably more consistent too, since the tech helps keep the ball speed up on miss hits.

Dont get me wrong, blades, or a nice looking CB get a good look from me.  They will always hold a special spot in my heart,  but the numbers don’t lie man.  A little help, some strong lofts, and some tungsten helped my game more than I could have ever imagined.

So, if I switch back to say the 620MB, with the PW being 47°, I would see a similar number to what I am hitting my Vokey 48°.  The 9 iron would go just a bit shorter than my set T100S PW.

Like I said, I was anti loft jacking until these things made me a believer.  As a high ball hitter, they are a blessing.  No one wants to hit the ball shorter… I don’t think.?

Analyways, a good conversational thread.  And in by no means am I trying to say I’m 100% right.  I respect your opinion on the loft issue.  I just think we get too hung up on it quite often. 

👍🏼

And I take it you've got no problem generating enough spin?

• Hmmm 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

Hard to pick on titleist for loft jacking a players iron. They literally have the same club 2 degrees weaker if thats what you prefer, or fit into better. And its not like its just bent that way. Both are engineered for the designed loft. Doesnt get much better.

• Like 4

EDEL SMS WEDGE TESTER

• Driver: :ping-small: G400 MAX
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: F7 Hybrid AD DI 95s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter:   :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2 ball 

Lofts are simply a tool used to generate launch window, spin, angle of descent.

Due to my delivery (I don't lean the shaft forward), I need stronger lofts to prevent me from hitting balloon balls.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I was in the anti loft jacking club, not too long ago actually.

I now play the T100S irons.  They are magical… I can’t imagine NOT  playing with stronger lofts.  Yes, the PW goes far, I just hit one 166 yards last round out, but I am averaging around 153 with it according to Arccos and my “smart distance”.  My 48° wedge is averaging 145 yards, same Arccos is telling me that.  Looking at those, I could actually, based on my “PW” (the 48°) go a degree or two lower on the PW, or perhaps bend the 48° a smidge weak.

The way I look at it is, they are just a Strong of each club.  If said club goes 153, the next one goes 165, the next 177, and so on. That is reliable distance, and controlable.  Probably more consistent too, since the tech helps keep the ball speed up on miss hits.

Dont get me wrong, blades, or a nice looking CB get a good look from me.  They will always hold a special spot in my heart,  but the numbers don’t lie man.  A little help, some strong lofts, and some tungsten helped my game more than I could have ever imagined.

So, if I switch back to say the 620MB, with the PW being 47°, I would see a similar number to what I am hitting my Vokey 48°.  The 9 iron would go just a bit shorter than my set T100S PW.

Like I said, I was anti loft jacking until these things made me a believer.  As a high ball hitter, they are a blessing.  No one wants to hit the ball shorter… I don’t think.?

Analyways, a good conversational thread.  And in by no means am I trying to say I’m 100% right.  I respect your opinion on the loft issue.  I just think we get too hung up on it quite often. 

👍🏼

Bingo.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

:ping-small: ChipR

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

20 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Hard to pick on titleist for loft jacking a players iron. They literally have the same club 2 degrees weaker if thats what you prefer, or fit into better. And its not like its just bent that way. Both are engineered for the designed loft. Doesnt get much better.

I am a little curious about the inserts on the new T100•S and what they does for the iron.  The ones I have, truly feel like a fully forged one piece blade.  Probably why I like them so much.  I hope they didn’t mess it up with the insert.

• Like 2

I always seemed turned off by the loft jacking, although extra distance while retaining spin would be an interesting dicotomy for my game. To me it seems like it would cause issues at the bottom of the bag for your scoring wedges.

• Like 1

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer lite

My Reviews:

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

6 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I always seemed turned off by the loft jacking, although extra distance while retaining spin would be an interesting dicotomy for my game. To me it seems like it would cause issues at the bottom of the bag for your scoring wedges.

The only issue is those who mentally don’t want to carry an additional wedge because they want it have a wood or hybrid in their bag.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The only issue is those who mentally don’t want to carry an additional wedge because they want it have a wood or hybrid in their bag.

makes sense. I guess if people only go 5i-W1 should be fine, but those of us that go 4i might pose a challenge at the top of the bag like you suggest. I am a high spin player (at least with my driver, irons might not be) so these stronger lofts could potentially benefit me

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer lite

My Reviews:

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

makes sense. I guess if people only go 5i-W1 should be fine, but those of us that go 4i might pose a challenge at the top of the bag like you suggest. I am a high spin player (at least with my driver, irons might not be) so these stronger lofts could potentially benefit me

Well when you start looking at actual gaps the 4i may be an unnecessary club. While one can’t get a full bag fitting with every iron due to no brands having that type of fitting cart at their partners golfers need to be looking at that during their fitting and asking the fitter to determine what their set makeup should be. I know a few reps and fitters that do that but most will just fit for shaft and head in the iron and move on.

On the other hand many of the people these clubs are made for don’t do fittings and they play the same loft set up in their non set wedges and at the top of the bag regardless of what irons they have because that’s what they always played. I see it all the time in the group I used to play with and the ones I get randomly paired with

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rbsiedsc said:

I fully intend to have my iron set up like this soon.  Getting the 5 iron bent strong 1°

here is my 14 club set up… now, take the numbers next to the iron and insert 1970 numbers next to them.  It doesn’t matter what the number is, not one bit.  16° is 16° as 28° is 28°… and 48° is 48°.  

Here me out… 

There is no such thing as loft jacking!!!  

It’s our perception.  We think a 1 iron should be 16° and a 7 iron 34-36° because that is what was normal.  The numbers are just to tell you the order of the dang clubs…. And I’m a traditionalist, look at it from my point of view.  Make sense now?  You’re welcome.

this is a pretty loft gap too I might add…

Driver - 8-10° depending on fitting.

3W - 14.5°

2 - 16°

3 - 20°

5 - 24°

6 - 28°

7 - 32°

8 - 36°

9° - 40°

P - 44°

W - 49°

S - 54°