Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MORE PICS! - 2012 Cleveland Classic Driver

GolfSpy_X

[[Template forums/front/topics/postContainer is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It LOOKS pretty cool imo. I do however wonder how you market such a thing. I don't think they can claim superior performance to what they've been selling. What would that look like? "Remember when we told you bigger was better? We lied. . " So this appears to be a solely (har har!) cosmetic design. They could of course claim that this is the best 290cc driver ever made, but to what point?

Retro is cool with clothes and cars. With golf clubs. . not so much.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I'm liking this better and better. The Cleveland rep was in the store the other day and he was really high on it. He indicated that the Miyazaki shaft would be something new, however, not the Kusala...interesting.

Oh, and I LOVE the headcover.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I like the headcover a bunch and also the idea of a novelty driver, but I don't think that the "fun" that I would get from bagging this on occasion would warrant the cost.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I haven't hit it, but I've heard the sound and feel are outstanding.

Dave, I think the word "novelty" is spot on. My concern (if I were Cleveland) is that people will definitely pick this up in the store and say, "Hey, look at this, how novel" but they won't buy it because it comes off gimmicky.

I haven't hit it, but I've heard the sound and feel are outstanding.

Dave, I think the word "novelty" is spot on. My concern (if I were Cleveland) is that people will definitely pick this up in the store and say, "Hey, look at this, how novel" but they won't buy it because it comes off gimmicky.

I think there is a lot more technology going on with this driver that we just don't know about quite yet. This club is not a novelty. Our office tested a 10.5 on a launch monitor and the numbers were pretty impressive.

I will try and get some images & video of the driver in action, along with some launch monitor numbers (if not today, sometime early next week).

Kevin

I think there is a lot more technology going on with this driver that we just don't know about quite yet. This club is not a novelty. Our office tested a 10.5 on a launch monitor and the numbers were pretty impressive.

I will try and get some images & video of the driver in action, along with some launch monitor numbers (if not today, sometime early next week).

Kevin

I'm sure you're right, and I did not mean to imply that this driver lacks for performance. Just trying to imagine what the consumer will think, based on my experience. I would love to see LM numbers if you get a chance.

I'm sure you're right, and I did not mean to imply that this driver lacks for performance. Just trying to imagine what the consumer will think, based on my experience. I would love to see LM numbers if you get a chance.

This club is not a novelty.

I might have come off a little too harsh there, sorry.

I will admit that when I first saw the @Graeme_McDowell twit picts it was 'Love at first sight' & yes, it looked a little 'gimmicky' as well. But when I found out that the Classic would be part of Cleveland's regular line and would not limited edition model, and then after hearing a couple of co-workers raving about it after they demoed it on a launch monitor, I changed my tune from crush to obsessed! Its still way too early to tell, but I think Cleveland might have a winner here!

I am not sure I will be able to get any video or pictures today, but I will try and have something up by next week.

I'm liking this Cleveland Driver! The looks that is, will have to wait and see how performance is....

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

We have one in the store. 10.5* Myazaki C.Kua Tour Issue 43S. All I can say is WOW. Looks AMAZING in person!! Deep face, clean lines, no silly distracting colors or graphics. It looks like a golf club. As far a LM #'s... Super Low Spin. I currently play a 9.5* TM SuperDeep with Fubuki 63S. My LM #'s typically average 155 Ball speed, 13.5* Launch Angle, and 2300 Spin rate. With this new Classic, I was consistently getting 157 Ball Speeds, 14* Launch Angles, and Spin rates in the 1700's. The difference is Dramatic!! I was blown away. If I can find a way to get the spin #'s up a bit, It will be time for a new Driver.

Thanks Cleveland!!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

We have one in the store. 10.5* Myazaki C.Kua Tour Issue 43S. All I can say is WOW. Looks AMAZING in person!! Deep face, clean lines, no silly distracting colors or graphics. It looks like a golf club. As far a LM #'s... Super Low Spin. I currently play a 9.5* TM SuperDeep with Fubuki 63S. My LM #'s typically average 155 Ball speed, 13.5* Launch Angle, and 2300 Spin rate. With this new Classic, I was consistently getting 157 Ball Speeds, 14* Launch Angles, and Spin rates in the 1700's. The difference is Dramatic!! I was blown away. If I can find a way to get the spin #'s up a bit, It will be time for a new Driver.

Thanks Cleveland!!!

Wow, that is some impressive performance! How much of it do you attribute to the shaft? I'm in the early stages of testing some Miyazaki shafts and I'm impressed with the stability and feel, especially with the light weight.

Wow, that is some impressive performance! How much of it do you attribute to the shaft? I'm in the early stages of testing some Miyazaki shafts and I'm impressed with the stability and feel, especially with the light weight.

Hard to know without independent shaft/head testing. All I can say is that this combo works.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

I have done some testing with the Miyazaki 43S during the season. While it's not a high spin shaft at all, I wouldn't describe it as low spinning either, but for me it's a really high launching one. So I guess, that the low spinrates mostly come due to the deep face design, while the higher LA attributes to the Miyazaki. I played the 59S for most of the season, but went back to my GD Di-6 late into the year, since I prefer the feel at impact. My personal swing rhythm doesn't fit the 43S well, since I tend to have a more violent transition which doesn't contribute to the softer tip design of the 43S.

Regards,

Michael

Archived