TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best ball under $40

matskline

Titleist Tour SpeedNo others close.

"Everyday takes figuring out all over again how to f***ing live."  Calamity Jane - Deadwood.

People ask me what I do for a living?  I say "I answer stupid questions."

On 8/2/2021 at 9:47 AM, tschott said:

I've been playing the OnCore Elixir for the last year and a half. Very good ball and you can usually buy at 2 for $50. I play to a 7.2 and it does everything I need it to and you don't feel so bad when you lose one

I couldn't agree more. I have been playing the OnCore Elixir and the Vero X1 and love the performance and the price. 

Gregory Schillinger

I have tried the Snell MTB black, the Vice Pro, the OnCor Elixr and the Maxfli Tour and have been very satisfied with all 4 I get good distance off the driver and good control around the green.  I play yellow which I find easier to follow on sunny days and have not noticed any peeling of the paint on any of the above. I have compared them to Pro V and do not see any major differences except for price. I will stick with these and if I narrow it down more this year will update.

John Burnsworth

Dean Snell and Snell Golf continue to put out a consistently good product. The MTB has been as good as the MGS labs say and I played them in non tournament rounds before I had heard of the Forum. Keep the mom/pop shops in business and try some Snells. Best ball for your money by FAR!!

GLFWLKR

I have been a fan of Callaway's ChromeSoft for several tears.  End of last season a bought the Vice ProSoft and have been excited in that this ball performs as well as the CjhromeSoft foe me.

Apex 19 Irons and Wedges

Mavrik Driver

Odessey Stroke Lab 7s Putter

Chrome Soft Ball

BatCaddy Electric Cart

I’ve been playing Oncore Elixr and Maxfli Tour. I have bought both for $20 / dozen. I won’t play or buy anything else for 2022. I’ve got to research the Maxfli to understand if there is a proper spot to hit it. 

Sub 70 irons and wedges. Epic Flash sub zero driver and 3 metal. Callaway rescue 18 and 22 degree. 

I was Titleist guy for years. Went from ProV1x to Tour Speed. Mostly based on price, I wanted to compare. Ended up moving to the Trust Bison XL. Longer than the Titleist, consistently. Around the greens they perform just as well as the ProV1x and better than Tour Speed. Not sure if it is the "shiny coat", my swing or the ball just reacting better. But I'm sold and that's what I'll be playing. And yes, they are on the conforming list. That would have been a deal breaker for me.

I’ll be the naysayer.  It doesn’t matter a whole lot.  I do think it matters to be consistent with which ball you play, stick with one and know how it’s going to react in certain circumstances.

Shot an 82 today on a baked out course with…. Topflite Gamer.  Full approach shots had no issue stopping.  Short sided chips?  Yeah but I doubt I could get enough spin to make a difference.

2 hours ago, Gopokes14 said:

Vice Pro. I see that several guys have posted that they have switched to this ball also. I was strictly bent on using the same ball all the time to stop the question of whether I was hitting lower shots or shorter shots due to the ball itself. I was committed to the Bridgestone BXS and the Pro V. I spent about the same every time ($50) and they performed about the same. Played in a 2 man tournament where we had 6 holes of best ball, 6 holes of scramble and 6 of alternate shot. I agreed to use my partner's Vice Pro for the final 6 holes. We have to play it as it lies and alternate hitting each shot. I really was surprised how well they cut through the wind off of driver and how well they stopped on approach shots. It's my new ball at $35 dzn. 

You may want to look into the incentivized buying. The more you buy the cheaper the cost is buying directly from vice. You could potentially get to $28.99 if ordering up to 5 dozen. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I recently used Ping’s online ballfitting tool (Ballnamic) to see if it recommend I play something different. Been playing ProV1 for a while.  

It ranked ProV1 4th on my list, and when I selected ‘best ball for the money’ it came up Maxfli Tour X. 

They retail for $35 but you can find them cheaper.  

The 4 rounds I’ve played them have all been under my index.  Great length off the tee and can stop them on greens. 

Bottom line, try Ping’s ball fitting tool.  These ended up being right for me.  I never would have bought these balls and not only did I get them for half the cost  of ProV1’s but I’m shooting better scores. 

I would say the Srixon Z star, Snell ntd black, or the Bridgestone B RX but you may have to buy them in volume to get below $40

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Hands down, Snell MTB-X

Titleist TSi3 10°, Diamana TB 55S

Titleist TS2 15°, Diamana TB 65S

Titleist 818H 19°, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 75S

Srixon Z785 4-PW, tour modus3 120S

Miura Tour Milled Wedges 49, 53, 57  tour modus3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5, 33”

On 8/2/2021 at 10:47 AM, tschott said:

I've been playing the OnCore Elixir for the last year and a half. Very good ball and you can usually buy at 2 for $50. I play to a 7.2 and it does everything I need it to and you don't feel so bad when you lose one

I do too. I am 17.4 and still lose balls so this was a great option.  Feels much like a Chromesoft to me. 

Larry E

Retired Aerospace Engineer

Centennial, Colorado

Just now, golflre55 said:

I do too. I am 17.4 and still lose balls so this was a great option.  Feels much like a Chromesoft to me. 

I also play Snell, Vice, Calloway, and Kirkland from time to time.

Larry E

Retired Aerospace Engineer

Centennial, Colorado

Started using the Snell last year and have had good luck with it.  Got a dozen Maxfli's for Xmas and have been practicing around the green with those I so far I'm impressed.  

WITB - Currently hitting PXG 0211s, irons, driver and putter.  Cleveland wedges.  Love golf, wish I was better at it than I am.  Try to play at least one time a week and get to the range or some other type of practice, putting, chipping a couple times a week.  

On 1/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, Deepred said:

I actually believe in buying the cheapest ball that does what I need it to do. Titleist TruFeel and Tour Soft do everything I need. If the new Maxfli ball came in yellow I’d give it a try. 
The Wilson Duo Pro is an exceptional ball and is on sale now. If it came in a non matte color I’d load up on those.

I find higher spinning urethane balls require more practice and consistency than I have time for. 

i 100% agree.  I'm about a 3.5 handicap, and while it's fun to make a urethane ball "drop and stop" on wedges and chips, that takes WAY more proper practice time to get really consistent at doing it.  The Titleist TruFeel ball, while it doesn't spin as much, is VERY durable, and its spin rate is fairly consistent no matter how i hit it.  Easy to predict what it's going to do.  And at $22/dozen at Walmart, it can't be beat.

On 8/1/2021 at 12:06 PM, matskline said:

What’s the best ball you have used under $40 in terms of consistency and overall quality? 

I switched from the Srixon Z-Star to the Srixon Q-Star Tour which has been a great ball for me for the price savings.

W.I.T.B.-Cobra F9 Driver, Cobra F9 3-4 Fairway Wood, Cobra FMax 3-4 Hybrids and 6-PW, Cobra King MIM 50 degree wedge, Bombtech 56, 60, 72 degree wedges, Ping Scottsdale Carefree putter.

BagBoy Nitron Push Cart

Flatirons GC - Boulder, Thorncreek GC - Thornton

I had been playing the Titleist Tour Soft and Tour Speed, trying to determine which performed best.  Decided to try the new Ballfitting tool from Ping to see  what it might say (based on my original input to another selection tool that resulted in the Titleist balls).  Surprise...the Ballfitting recommendation was the Maxfli Tour X.  Just purchased a dozen, so no answer at this point.  Sometimes, as a 17 handicap, I wonder if ANY ball would make a difference, given my inconsistent swing.🙂 

I chose the Snell MTBB and MaxFli Tour and that’s all I play. I may have to try the Titleist Tour Speed, but reviews seem to be mixed on them?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Great Idea > Will put on my Christmas List.

Darn; she beat me to it!!

Ha Ha; Smart Idea!! I'll buy Her Christmas Gift in the Golf Balls I like.

Well maybe Not; She'll probably want "Big Bucks" for them.

Oh well; Somebody has to take one for the Team!!

Cheers, Sports Fans!!

Srixon Q-Star Tour or is the Titleist Tour speed >$40

WITB 

TM M5 9(10.5) - Fujikura PRO 2.0 6R][ Titleist TS2 16.5(17.25) - Diamana Thump ][ Titleist 917F 21 - Diamana S+ 72

Titleist TSi2 5 (24) - Tensei Raw AV Blue 65 ][ Titleist 818H 27 - GD Tour AD DI 85

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6 - PW, N.S. Pro MODUS3 Tour 120

Vega VW-06 52, 56, 60

Ping B60 and/or

Scotty Cameron STUDIO STAINLESS® LAGUNA 2.5 and/or 

Mizuno M-Craft V - 34"