Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Best ball under $40

matskline

I have a rather large supply of FG Tour cosmetic blems that I've been playing for years. Probably around 4-5 dozen left and they cost me 120bucks a dozen - which translated into US is around 7-8 dollars. Will figure out what to do in a couple years when i run out 😬

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Driver

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 Irons

Mizuno MP R12 Wedges

TM Daytona 1 Rossa

On 1/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, Deepred said:

I actually believe in buying the cheapest ball that does what I need it to do. Titleist TruFeel and Tour Soft do everything I need. If the new Maxfli ball came in yellow I’d give it a try. 
The Wilson Duo Pro is an exceptional ball and is on sale now. If it came in a non matte color I’d load up on those.

I find higher spinning urethane balls require more practice and consistency than I have time for. 

The Maxfli tour comes in yellow 2021 ball all I play 2 fix for $60 in store or online 

20 hours ago, Jay McFarland said:

I’ll go old school on y’all. Still one of the best balls I’ve ever played is the old Precept Extra Spin.

I always liked that ball too.  I also like the Precept Laddie and will use them in the winter months when I can find them.  Otherwise I will use a Noodle, Wilson Duo, or Callaway Super Soft in the winters.  All under $40 (som,e way under).
Summertime I switch to either a ProV or a Bridgestone RX.  I'll hit a TP5 once in awhile too.

I've had a bit of an epiphany about golf balls over the last year and have come to the conclusion that there is a very tiny percentage of golfers who will benefit from playing a "premium" ball...including the high swing speed guys.   In my opinion, only golfers who can consistently (and intentionally) work the ball left and right...and have the ability to precisely control spin on the green have any business playing pro level balls.  I've been a weekend golfer for about 35 years and can think of maybe one person that I've met who fits this description.  My driver SS averages 110mph.  I've always been long, and I've always been erratic off the tee.  AND I've always gravitated toward the higher compression premium balls because that's what is recommended for my swing speed.  Last summer I switched to a lower compression ball and the results were immediate and astounding.  I started hitting my driver straighter.  I DID NOT NOTICE ANY DECREASE IN DISTANCE OFF THE TEE.  Where I did notice a difference is that I was about one club longer with my irons.  I could also tell a difference in spin around the green.  My chips tended to roll out more than I was accustomed to but that's an easy adjustment to make.

Just my observations but maybe I can help save some people some money and also reduce the stigma of not playing a Pro V1. 🙂  

Driver: Cobra:cobra-small: LTDx LS 10.5*   Hzrdus Red 60 6.5

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5   Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.5

7 Wood: PXG 0211   Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock

1 hour ago, Riverboat said:

You're singing my song. So many players, and MGS for that matter, claim "premium" balls are best for every player. In my experience, it's simply not the case. Virtually everyone I've gotten to try lower compression 2 piece balls has either benefitted or seen no drop off. I'm not sure if there's actually a stigma switching, but there's certainly a snob appeal to spending a ridiculous amount of money on something that's not helping you. 

Yep...I got a couple of my playing buddies to switch also and they saw the same improvement I did.  In hindsight, I probably should have kept my mouth shut....:)

Driver: Cobra:cobra-small: LTDx LS 10.5*   Hzrdus Red 60 6.5

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5   Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.5

7 Wood: PXG 0211   Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock

I'm a fan of the Maxfli Tour X as well.  Used to be 2 dozen for $50 and then you always had a $10 DSG credit.  I bought 4 dozen for just over $100 recently so they have gone up, but so has everything else.  I like the Tour B X , Snell MTBX and other similar balls, but I score about the same with pretty much all the "X" balls.  

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4w

Callaway Rogue X 5h

Taylormade P770 6-PW

Callaway MD5 52, 56, 50

Toulon Las Vegas H7

I really like the Volvik Vibe.  Nice feel, checks up nice and seems to be consistent across many sleeves.

TaylorMade M5 Tensei Orange x

Adams XTD Kuro Kage 15*

TM200 5w Bimatrix

Adams Pro Hybrid 20*

TM P790 4-GW Nippon 105

Vokey 54, 58 TT Spinner

Bettinardi Big Ben Putter

For the money, I like the Oncore Elixr and the Maxfli Tour CG, they have a similar feel, but think the Oncore ball is a little more resistant to scuffing. Both balls are made by the same company Foremost, so it makes sense they feel similar. I haven’t had enough experience so far with Snell and others to make a comparison comment on them though.

Motorcycle trials and golf the two most addicting sports 

I generally play balls I've found as opposed to shelling out for "soon to be baptized new balls".  Several that I know sell for less than $40 a dozen include Pinnacle Soft, Slazenger $ Money, Noodle,Top Flite Hammer Distance, and TF Hammer Control.  I've played each of these, and was satisfied with their performance.   I have all the top brands in my bag including Pro V1's, TP5's, but my favorite these days is the Bridgestone E6.  I cannot believe how long and straight the ball goes, not to mention the confidence they instill when standing on a Par 3 hole with a carry over water.  

6 minutes ago, dabigkahuna said:

I generally play balls I've found as opposed to shelling out for "soon to be baptized new balls".  Several that I know sell for less than $40 a dozen include Pinnacle Soft, Slazenger $ Money, Noodle,Top Flite Hammer Distance, and TF Hammer Control.  I've played each of these, and was satisfied with their performance.   I have all the top brands in my bag including Pro V1's, TP5's, but my favorite these days is the Bridgestone E6.  I cannot believe how long and straight the ball goes, not to mention the confidence they instill when standing on a Par 3 hole with a carry over water.  

The OP asked for the best ball under $40, not satisfactory balls! None of those are “best.” We can all find new golf balls at any price point from $12 to $50/dozen, and we all have the choice to use found balls.  I’d never buy Kirkland’s, but they’re better than any of the above.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 hour ago, Middler said:

The OP asked for the best ball under $40, not satisfactory balls! None of those are “best.” We can all find new golf balls at any price point from $12 to $50/dozen, and we all have the choice to use found balls.  I’d never buy Kirkland’s, but they’re better than any of the above.

Wow, hate much?  Your response should be retitled......"When Golf Snobs Attack!"  I know a few very good golfers who use Kirkland balls and like them alot.  As far as my reply went, alerting other golfers to the existence of underrated quality performers will allow them to sample and make their own decisions down the road. It will be up to them to determine what qualifies as their "best ball".   Pompous and effette responses like yours are a good reason why there is a widespread perception that golfers as a whole are elitists and stuffed shirts. 

1 hour ago, dabigkahuna said:

Pompous and effette responses like yours are a good reason why there is a widespread perception that golfers as a whole are elitists and stuffed shirts. 

I don't have a dog in the fight, I just want share my 'lol' at using "pompous and effete" while calling someone else elitist 😂

(FWIW, I think everyone should just take a breath. If we're debating the quality of a Top Flite or a Slazenger, it's a tough hill to climb to argue that we're really concerned about performance and ultimately, this is a discussion about how to enjoy a game as affordably as possible.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

2 hours ago, dabigkahuna said:

Wow, hate much?  Your response should be retitled......"When Golf Snobs Attack!"  I know a few very good golfers who use Kirkland balls and like them alot.  As far as my reply went, alerting other golfers to the existence of underrated quality performers will allow them to sample and make their own decisions down the road. It will be up to them to determine what qualifies as their "best ball".   Pompous and effette responses like yours are a good reason why there is a widespread perception that golfers as a whole are elitists and stuffed shirts. 

Hate, because I have a different view? Lighten up Francis. Maybe we can just agree to disagree, the world won't spin off it's axis. Since you want to make this personal, uneducated responses "like yours are a good reason there is a widespread perception that golfers as a whole are" clueless lemmings who don't know much about golf or golf equipment and fall for every marketing gimmick. There's no one here who isn't aware of cheap two piece ionomer balls - WADR, that's not what the OP asked.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

2 hours ago, dabigkahuna said:

Offended much. @Middlerdidn’t attack you or your response. He clarified and explained the ops ask. It wasn’t what’s best for the op under $40 but the best under $40.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

It's not your different point of view, it's the amount of snark you level at people in expressing it. You make it personal, then express surprise when people take it personally. And just to clarify, you mean like the "clueless lemmings" who automatically assume anyone not playing a premium ball is somehow beneath them in intelligence and golf acumen?

If you're alleging I said that, please show me where I said that. Some people agreed with my post, some agreed with the other POV - nothing wrong with that.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, Riverboat said:

I guess I have to explain.  You see, I cleverly turned around your insult in calling people clueless lemmings, and applied it instead to people like you, who believe that urethane balls are inherently better for all players all the time. 

You jumped Carlh earlier, asking him if he had "tried them all" when he simply expressed his opinion like most have on the thread, and now the attack on dabigkahuna because you didn't like his take on the question. How about sharing your own opinion in civil terms without putting anyone else's down like virtually every other poster on these forums? Maybe reread before you post and check for snark before hitting submit? Not counting on it, though, there are trolls on every forum. 

I wonder why there are NO ionomer/surlyn tour balls? You're welcome to your opinion, and high regard for same, I'll leave it at that. Back to the topic at hand - "BEST ball under $40."

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

It's not your different point of view, it's the amount of snark you level at people in expressing it. You make it personal, then express surprise when people take it personally. And just to clarify, you mean like the "clueless lemmings" who automatically assume anyone not playing a premium ball is somehow beneath them in intelligence and golf acumen?

Pot calling the kettle black in this one 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Ok I see things are getting a little sporty. 

For anyone who mentioned cost, which is why I am using middle of the road balls, I am going to add to my rationale on page 2. Just as a statement for thought. This is a little weird, but bear with me.

Every time you add something new that is primarily, or soley used for golf adds to the cost per round.  We just don't think of our equipment, clubs, shoes, clothing, in this regard. 

I am using  new mavrik Pro Irons, purchased Jan of 19( A retirement gift to myself, didn't really expect they would make me play better), but I bought them all the same, could have just kept my old ones from 2012.  About 150 rounds of using them over the last 3 years they are still adding $12.00 to each round I play at this point.

If you buy a new $400.00 driver, if you play 40 rounds that year its added $10.00 per round you play that first year. After the 2nd 40 rounds with it, now its $5.00 a round.

New $200.00 putter, $5.00 a round for 40 rounds.

So why do we place the cost of Premium Balls, on an Island all by itself when we look at the cost of golf, and why we think losing 2 Srixon Z-Stars  a round is what makes golf expensive, but two Q-Stars does not?

Losing 120 balls in 40 rounds using premium balls is $2.50 a round more.  The two new $50 a piece golf shirts I got for Christmas, are going to add $2.50 a round for the 40 rounds next year, and I won't even wear them for every round.

So if I don't have track man numbers and spin numbers, and don't really know for certain that  a cheaper ball  scientifically is actually better for my game, then with all the other expenses I'm  actually shelling out for each round of golf, why am not using a ball that at the very least probably isn't going to hurt my game, and just might help it to save $1.67 a round in my case?

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

12 hours ago, Middler said:

This was my thought exactly.

Not to be a jerk, play what ya like.

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Interestingly enough, I can only find USED slazanger money balls. Also, they are all GOLD. I bet those are easy to find. Guess im not gonna be trying those….😑

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

On 8/2/2021 at 12:47 PM, tschott said:

I've been playing the OnCore Elixir for the last year and a half. Very good ball and you can usually buy at 2 for $50. I play to a 7.2 and it does everything I need it to and you don't feel so bad when you lose one

Yes I agree that the OnCore Elixir is an excellent choice for all around golf ball.

WITB:

MALTBY TS2 irons Mizuno 54* mpt11 wedge Inazone 58* wedge

MALTBY KE4 tour driver  Ray Cook putter M1X

Integra #3 fwy.  SMT #5 fwy.