Best ball under $40

matskline

I've grown fond of the TaylorMade Tour Response...immediately after scoring my first ever Ace earlier this year.

Taylormade.jpg

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 5  Motore F3 7x

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5  Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

7 Wood: :ping-small: Rapture 20*  Fujikura Fuel X-stiff

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock

On 1/12/2022 at 8:57 PM, Deepred said:

I actually believe in buying the cheapest ball that does what I need it to do. Titleist TruFeel and Tour Soft do everything I need. If the new Maxfli ball came in yellow I’d give it a try. 
The Wilson Duo Pro is an exceptional ball and is on sale now. If it came in a non matte color I’d load up on those.

I find higher spinning urethane balls require more practice and consistency than I have time for. 

There is now a yellow Maxfli Tour.   Xmas pricing @2 for $60, in store and direct. 

Another fan of Snell here. I gamed Snell MTB-X for a couple seasons. Also depends on what you’re looking for in terms of launch/spin for your swing speed. Definitely check out last years MGS ball test.

• Like 1

Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 14 way

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Hybrids: 19 deg (Set to 18) and 22 (set to 21) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Irons: 5-PW Irons PXG 0211 KBS C Taper Tour 120 Stiff -0.25" Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Putter:  PXG Gen2 Spitfire Armlock 37.5" SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 17"

Game Ball: New Gamer Maxfli Tour CG 

5 hours ago, Middler said:

The two best balls under $40/dozen for me are the Snell MTB/X and the MaxFli Tour/X - almost as good as ProV1 to me at least. Comparable performance, slightly less consistent quality - and I wouldn't know that if it wasn't for MGS Ball Lab. I played the Snell MTB exclusively for 3-4 years, switched to MaxFli Tour last year when Snell prices increased and they were rationed/out of stock at times. Again I never would have even considered the MaxFlis had it not been for MGS Ball Lab. At the moment I have 2 dozen ProV1's in the closet (gift from my wife) and 5 dozen MaxFli Tours.

Both are excellent balls, and I have used both of them for at least a couple of years (longer for the Snell balls). However, within the last 6-7 months I have become a huge fan of the OnCore VeroX1 ball. Quality, consistency and overall performance are all great with these OnCore balls.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max, 9*, Miyazaki  Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 6S, 44.75" playing length

4-Wood: Titleist TS2, 16.5*, Miyazaki Kuala Mizu Tour Issue 7S, 42.75" playing length

5/7-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero set to 20* loft; Tensei Blue 75-S, 41.5" playing length

Hybrids: Exotics EXS Pro (22*), Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 75S

Irons: Exotics EXS220 5-iron and New Level MODB-1 (6-iron through PW), KBS TGI Tour 80 (stiff) shafts

Wedges: New Hogan Equalizer wedges (48* and 56* + Maltby TSW Forged 52-8, all bent 1* weak

Putter: Evnroll ER2, 34”with Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTBx

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Deepred said:

I was referring to the new TriFli, not the Tour. I have seen the Tour in yellow but several people have said the yellow chips very easily.

Ah, my fault. The Tour is also under $40 so I got confused. I'm getting about 25-27 holes out of a single ball before there are any scuffs or chips, FWIW

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60X
Fun driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 9.5* with 46.5" Tensei CK White 60S
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 54* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s, :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago

Ball: Maxfli Tour, ProV1, TP5x, Left Dash
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed: and Fit for Golf 

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

23 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Both are excellent balls, and I have used both of them for at least a couple of years (longer for the Snell balls). However, within the last 6-7 months I have become a huge fan of the OnCore VeroX1 ball. Quality, consistency and overall performance are all great with these OnCore balls.

Seconded. If you have enough driver spin for the Vero to work, it's an outstanding ball. For me, it was just so low-spin that I couldn't keep it in the air. (Naturally, that means that it's a full club longer on the irons...) -- for comparison, for me, ProV1x is usually ~2300 off the driver, ProV1 is ~2000 and VeroX1 is ~1800. Which means when you catch one high-toe and drop 300-500 revs, that thing isn't just knuckling, it's dive-bombing.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60X
Fun driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 9.5* with 46.5" Tensei CK White 60S
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 54* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s, :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago

Ball: Maxfli Tour, ProV1, TP5x, Left Dash
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed: and Fit for Golf 

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

Guys check out Sugar golf. Been playing these for a year now. Very impressed. Good price. Buy 54 and you can get the price down to $2.57 a piece. Comes in a 27 ball cube. Sugar cube. Don’t take  my word for it. Look at the review on TXG. The boys were really impressed. 

I started playing the Vice Pro last season and shot my lowest round ever with them (an 86 and also the first time I ever broke 90). Love them and at a great price. You can buy direct from Vice and get a discount for buying multiples, but Target and Walmart now have them in store for $35 a box. I am also going to try out the TaylorMade Tour Response after reading the ball test. I get emails from golfballs.com and picked up 2 dozen logo overruns for $30 a dozen. I will say just on feel that the Vice Pro are much more sticky. Looking forward to putting them both to the test in the spring! 

Im another Snell MTBx/Maxfli Tour X guy.

• Like 2

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

"Best" is a relative term.  For me, the best ball sub $40 would be Snell MTB-X.  The other balls in that price range fall well short on performance for me.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at N) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 4 -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBSTour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX

Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

18 hours ago, CarlH said:

"Best" is a relative term.  For me, the best ball sub $40 would be Snell MTB-X.  The other balls in that price range fall well short on performance for me.

You’ve tried them ALL?

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

1 hour ago, Middler said:

You’ve tried them ALL?

I did say "for me".  But, no, I didn't try every golf ball available, nor did I feel the need to do so.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at N) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Mitishibishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 4 -- Fujikura Atmos R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBSTour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball:  Maxfli TourX

Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer 

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 1/16/2022 at 11:57 AM, CarlH said:

I did say "for me".  But, no, I didn't try every golf ball available, nor did I feel the need to do so.

Sorry. Just meant no other reader can draw any conclusions without knowing what other balls you've tried...you could be declaring all other under $40 balls poor performers, or none? Other readers have no idea.

This is my mathematical explanation of why I am going to start using a premium ball again.  I am not having a fitting, I am just going to assume as others have indicated that you get what you pay for.  If a premium 4pc, 5pc ball can help me a little then I am going to play them.  Pretty sure it will be the bad swing which results in poor outcomes for me regardless of the price of the ball I am using.

Now if you're launch monitoring balls, and are involved enough to know  that a ball that is cheaper, but spins, more or less, and the different cover is actually better, and you have statistics showing this particular ball is helping your game, then my angle of explanation  is not for you.   

I've done the math on my 2021 golf season. I played 45 rounds total cost $1066.  Penalties per round 1.09.  I am just going to assume all penalties were lost balls, even though they weren't.  45rounds x 1.09 = 49 balls.  Going to call it an even 4 dozen for math purposes.  A loss cost of 4 dozen balls is going to be added to the cost of my 45 rounds for 2021!

This is the breakdown.  25$ balls = 1166 / 45= $25.91 rd.  30$ balls = 1186/45= $26.35.  $45(Srixon Z-star, many times you can find them for $40) =1246/45= $27.68.

So for an actual cost of 1.33 a round $30-$45 balls,  or 1.77 a round $25- $45 balls, or a cost of $60 or $80 a year, 5 or 6 dollars a month I'm going to use a mid priced ball which may not be benefitting me as much.  In other words, for the cost of a Starbucks coffee on my way to the course, or bringing my own water or Gatorade, or bringing my own crackers, or other snacks, and only buying a hot dog at the turn, and not the crackers, I can use premium balls!!  I'm in.

Now I get it this example will not apply to everyone.  If you are someone who just doesn't think they are worth it, and other reasons.  But if you are playing in excess of 30 rounds a year then the ACTUAL cost of how much more using premium balls will actually cost may not be as much as you think.  As soon as I can lose the 7 dozen Bridgestone e12 softs I have, I'm going back to Z-star!

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

3 hours ago, stuka44 said:

This is my mathematical explanation of why I am going to start using a premium ball again.  I am not having a fitting, I am just going to assume as others have indicated that you get what you pay for.  If a premium 4pc, 5pc ball can help me a little then I am going to play them.  Pretty sure it will be the bad swing which results in poor outcomes for me regardless of the price of the ball I am using.

Now if you're launch monitoring balls, and are involved enough to know  that a ball that is cheaper, but spins, more or less, and the different cover is actually better, and you have statistics showing this particular ball is helping your game, then my angle of explanation  is not for you.   

I've done the math on my 2021 golf season. I played 45 rounds total cost $1066.  Penalties per round 1.09.  I am just going to assume all penalties were lost balls, even though they weren't.  45rounds x 1.09 = 49 balls.  Going to call it an even 4 dozen for math purposes.  A loss cost of 4 dozen balls is going to be added to the cost of my 45 rounds for 2021!

This is the breakdown.  25$ balls = 1166 / 45= $25.91 rd.  30$ balls = 1186/45= $26.35.  $45(Srixon Z-star, many times you can find them for $40) =1246/45= $27.68.

So for an actual cost of 1.33 a round $30-$45 balls,  or 1.77 a round $25- $45 balls, or a cost of $60 or $80 a year, 5 or 6 dollars a month I'm going to use a mid priced ball which may not be benefitting me as much.  In other words, for the cost of a Starbucks coffee on my way to the course, or bringing my own water or Gatorade, or bringing my own crackers, or other snacks, and only buying a hot dog at the turn, and not the crackers, I can use premium balls!!  I'm in.

Now I get it this example will not apply to everyone.  If you are someone who just doesn't think they are worth it, and other reasons.  But if you are playing in excess of 30 rounds a year then the ACTUAL cost of how much more using premium balls will actually cost may not be as much as you think.  As soon as I can lose the 7 dozen Bridgestone e12 softs I have, I'm going back to Z-star!

Thats a complicated ass way to say, “i play premium cause i want to” 🤣🤣🤣. Love it! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

The OP probably meant sub $40 new balls.  I play used balls.  Namely, 2021 Pro V1 Yellow Grade A (Below Mint).  About $28 / Dozen.   Opinions on used balls are mixed, I'm sure.  I haven't noticed any performance issues on the field or on my Launch Monitor.   I will toss out occasional ones that are discolored (I assume from being water-logged).  

If I went Mint grade, it would be around ~$32/dozen.   

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

Much of the analysis of “which ball” threads, reviews etc revolve around spin rates and distance but what about forgiveness? I have long felt urethane balls tend to end up in bad places much quicker than surlyn balls. Plus I’m more likely to hit the green from the fairway.

• Sad 1

I purchase Bridgestone Tour BRX balls in the Spring when they offer the buy 3 dozen get 1 free deal.  Last year I bought 9 dozen and got three free.  Got 2 more dozen with pro shop credit from tournament winnings.  Got five dozen left.

If I run out before the next sale I will play the Maxfli Tour CG or CG X.

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Taylormade SIM Ti - 19 lofted down to 17

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Tour Edge C721 - 25

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades

Corey Paul Functional Art 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX

17 hours ago, Deepred said:

Much of the analysis of “which ball” threads, reviews etc revolve around spin rates and distance but what about forgiveness? I have long felt urethane balls tend to end up in bad places much quicker than surlyn balls. Plus I’m more likely to hit the green from the fairway.

Isn't the forgiveness you're talking about a result of spin? Urethane balls typically spin more than surlyn, and that includes side spin - which could be why you find them "in bad places much quicker." So in general you can use surlyn and maybe hit more fairways but you can't stop the ball on approach. Or you in general you can use and have the ability to stop the ball on the green, though maybe missing more fairways. Just another of the tradeoffs in life...

• Like 1