Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What golf balls are players using

Garyk1285

I use Maxfli tour or USoft, tour if they’re on sale. Maxfli’s QC was mentioned to be good right behind Titleist so I feel good about that. If I decide to upgrade it’ll be Pro V1s, but for now I’m happy with what I use.

Cobra F9 driver and 3 wood, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue regular flex 60 shafts in both. PXG 5 wood, Diamana S+ regular flex 60 shaft. Ben Hogan 4-PW irons, regular flex Recoil shafts, 70g. Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges, 48, 52, and 56 degrees, Recoil shafts. Scotty Cameron Futura 5S putter. Ping Pioneer bag. Garmin G80 range finder. Maxfli tour golf balls. 

Normally Play ProV1x, lately trying other golf balls - Bridgestone B rxs and both Taylor's TP5 & TP5x.  Really like the TP5. Ball seems to fly off club and feels good putting. Tried the B RXS, since it's good enough for Couples, good ball & like it. just bought a dozen used to try out. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Hey everyone, 

First time posting here as I just joined up in the last week. I just put the Vice Pro into play this week for the first time. I played well for my first round with them considering I am working through some swing changes. They go plenty high while still penetrating, and were very receptive to shot shaping though MY control wasn't necessarily consistent. I just need to figure how easily I can flight them down. Short game spin control is something I still need to flesh out, though they seemed to perform similar enough to the Maxfli Tour CG I just ran out of. They felt great to me. Though maybe I should have practiced with them a bit more to get a better feel for short game response before putting them in play. 🙄

As mentioned above, I'm just coming off gaming the Maxfi Tour CG (appealing price tag) for my first 5.5 rounds this year which I also felt had great feel and control (vice pro feel softer to me) however I felt the matte green finish contributed to the ball getting/staying dirty looking much quicker. The cover also seemed to turn yellow around the outside of the dimples rather quickly. While this didn't seem to impact performance, my nit-picky eye didn't like it lol.

Anyone else been playing the Vice Pro or Pro Plus regularly? Any comparison thoughts between the two?

Titleist 913D

Nike VRS Covert Tour 3w

Nike VRS Covert Tour 5w

Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-PW

Titleist Vokey SM4 50, 54, 60

Taylormade Spider Tour

I've been playing Vice Pro now for about 4 years. I tried all of their models to start with to compare them with ProV's which I played before. I found the Vice Pro to play very comparable for my game and at half the price of ProV's it was a no brainer for me. I tried the Vice Pro Plus and found them to feel harder than the Pro model. I like the soft feel of the Pro model and I get the same distance I was getting with ProV's. So for me, I'll stick with the Vice Pro since I buy them in bulk (5+ dozen) to get the best price that Vice offers. I also like the fact that Vice will personalize them for a minimal cost so I don't have to worry about marking my ball when I use them.

Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 9* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65, Stiff

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 3 Wood 14* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75, Stiff

Hybrids: Callaway Epic Flash #3 17* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #4 20* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #5 23* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 70, Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash #6 26* - Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver 65, Regular

Irons: Ping G430, Red Dot, 7, 8, 9, W, 45.5*, 50*, ALTA CB BLACK, Regular

Wedges: Edison Forged - 55*, KBS PGI 80, Regular 2* Flat

Putter: Odyssey Toe Up #1, Ball: Vice Pro

Last 1.5 years, Srixon Z-Star XV. However, I’m finding that theses balls spin to much for me on short irons; especially wedges. I’m currently playing Pro Vs, and will be loading up on Snell MTB Black. I like the Pro Vs, but 1) I’ve hit the Snell so well, 2) they feel really good at impact, 3) they performed as well ad the Z-Star & Pro V, and 4) the value is crazy good. Honestly, if the Pro V was $35/dz I would still be debating which to buy: Pro V or Snell MTB Black. I don’t have any allegiance to a particular ball.

I think we’ll all have are own nuances and preferences, as far as ball choice goes, so go with what you think, and feel (sensory wise), fits you best. 

Reside in Roseville, California

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX-5 MK2 LS. Riptide LX, TX (9.5 & 10.5)

3-Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth (15*), Riptide X-Stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G400 2H 17 Deg,  Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ, X-stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 HMP 4-GW, Proj X Lz

Wedge: :titelist-small: SM9 54 deg, 10 bounce, & SM9 58 deg, 8 bounce, DG TI S400 (courtesy of winning MGS Masters Pool!)

Flat Stick:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled #4

On 8/2/2021 at 8:58 AM, Berg Ryman said:

Right now it's my ProV1X's that I bought during this year's buy 3, get one sale, but I am intrigued to see the results of Ball Test 2021, namely both the Srixon balls and the DTC space since I still have stuff with Srixon to get me their balls at cheaper cost and the DTC balls I've played this season (Vice Pro Plus, Oncore) are good but I want to see the comparison to see if the cost difference can make up any perceived performance difference. Odds are I won't need to buy until next season anyway, but I want to know.

Are the Vice balls really DTC anymore?  Didn't I just see them in Walmart?

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

I've been using Srixon Z-Star until this year when I discovered the Maxfli Tour CG.  I've been using the Maxfli's about 5 months and I'm getting consistently more distance with similar performance around the green.  I'll ride this horse until I find a better one for the price.

WIMB:

• Driver: PXG 0811 XF 10.5 set to 9 w/Tensei 50 R flex
  • PXG 0317 X 3H 19 w/Mitsubishi Chemical 70 R flex
  • Cleveland Launcher 4-PW XL Halo R flex irons
  • Cobra Speed Zone GW R flex
  • Cleveland 54 & 58 CBX R flex 
  • Cobra Supernova putter
  • Maxfli Tour CG

In the last few years I have used Titleist ProV1, ProV1X, AVX, Taylormade TP 5, TP5 X and Project (a). Of these I played the TP5 and Project (a) the most.  Love the distance of the new TP5 X but doesn't spin enough on middle irons and hybrids.  Project (a) isn't as long off the driver but almost a full club longer on irons than the TP5 and x.  I tried the new Maxfli Tour X and absolutely love it. It is as long as TP 5X and spins better than a TP 5 or ProV1.  Not as long off the irons as Project (a) but for me, its the best value in golf. I am awaiting your ball testing results to see how fair you are to a now hyped ball owned by a sporting goods store.  There is no better value in golf, I have played the Snell's tour ball  (longest ball in golf) versions and Maxfli Tour X is a better ball, at least for me.  My swing speed is 90-95 (senior) and still get it out 230-250. index 5.5.

I am currently gaming the last few 2016 Taylormade Tour Preferred balls I have.  I have about 8-10 more.  I have a few dozen Taylormade TP5 practice balls that I will rotate in once the 2016 Tour Preferred have been retired.  I have also recently tried the Snell MT and MT-X balls to see whether I like them and if they suit my game.  So far I prefer the MT-X ball over the MT (Black).  That said I still prefer the Taylormade ball over the Snell ball but my testing of the Snell ball isn't complete.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 2 weeks later...

So I had bought some Cut Greys on a whim a little while back and used them the same day, with no practice time and wasn't too much of a fan. However, in hindsight my swing wasn't so great that day (I walked 9 right after work) so I pulled one out during the back 9 of my round the other day. I found it to perform much better than I originally saw, pretty good distance off the tee and I liked the feel on the greens. It reminded me a lot of the Q Star Tour at a lower price point and with a cover that didn't pick up stains as quickly as the QST does in my experience. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 8/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, Garyk1285 said:

I’m currently using the vice tour golf balls and love them what balls are other golds using, prefer, or are interested in using 

My top three golf balls:

1. Snell MTB-X (this has, or HAD, been my favorite ball for 3 or 4 years) ... MTB Black is not bad, either.

2. OnCore VeroX1 -- I have loved this ball since first trying the prototype version of it last summer.

2. 2021 Maxfli TourX CG, which I think has become my new favorite ball.

I prefer the higher-compression 4-piece Urethane cover balls, which both the Snell MTB-X and Maxfli TourX are (the performance of these two balls is remarkably similar -- just look at the latest MGS Ball Test results). However, the VeroX1 has that "special something" for me, even though it is slightly lower in compression than the other two balls that I favor. I do lose a few yards in distance across the board with the VeroX1, but not a great deal, and the superior accuracy that I see with this ball (VeroX1) makes up for that very slight distance loss.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I like the proV1x

tp5x

bridgestone xs 

they’re all long and spin well

butttt, I’ll play most anything except for call super speed, and the such, not any pinnacles either, 

most every company’s “best/better balls” are good enuff for me unless it’s an important round

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Used Callaway supersoft for many years and then someone gave me a sleeve of tour response.  Birdied the first two holes that day and have never used anything else.  Much better stopping power on the green - for me ( ymmv ).

Callaway Paradym X 10.5 set to 11.5

Callaway Paradym 3+ wood

Callaway Paradym X 3/4/5 hybrid

Mizuno 923JPX irons 6-W Dynamic Gold 95 w/ProSoft dampeners

Cleveland CBX2 48, 52, 56

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6

It’s taken me a few years to find a ball that checks all the boxes for me. I used to play the ProV1x and moved away from it when it started to become a spinnier ball. Made the mistake of hitting the Kirklands which the latest ball test show spin WAY too much for me. 

I found the ball test for the ProV1x Left Dash and then followed that up with a virtual ball fitting through Titleist where I was fit for the Left Dash and sent samples. I hit the samples out on the course and found exactly what I was looking for. I’ve stocked up when they were buy 3, get 1 and plan on plying them at least until the next ball cycle in a couple years. 

Tour B XS, backups are Z Star or XV, and Pro V1.

The B XS is a bit unique in that it's higher spin but softer. I score my best with it consistently. Driver speed is 100-105mph, 7 iron is 165 carry. Deliver the club pretty level, so am lower spin and the XS helps with that. Biggest benefit I find is greenside, but the ball just seems to want to go straight on full shots compared to Pro V's. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I have played or tested most everyball on the market and keep going back to Titleist.  Last fall I made the switch to the AVX after playing the pro v1 or the x for the past 18 years.  I liked the flight of the ball and the spin around the greens.  I play 4 to 5 days a week.  I have lowered my index to 6.3 this year again and now playing handicap on my main course is 3.  I do not loose too many balls in a year and the buy 3 get one free last me probably 7 months--in the winter I have changed to the tour soft so it will not sting.  But from mid February through early November it is AVX.

Titleist TS 1 Driver Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 16.5 degree 3 wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 18 degree 5 Wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titliest TS2--21 degree Hybrid stiff light weight graphite shafts

Titliest T200 regular multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat 5 thru gap wedge

Titliest Volkey wedges 54 and 58 stiff multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Trillium Te3 32" putter

New TP5....I was using the Vice Pro Soft for a long time and really loved them except for one thing... I didn't like the way it jumped of my putter face at times (very much like catching a flyer with an iron shot). So I started lookin again. The New TP5 feels phenomenal...and never jumps off my putter....So I'm a TP5 guy now.

Play PXG all the way through the bag and an Odessey OS Seven putter with Callaway Triple Track

I continue to use the Pro V1x with the yellow option. I buy the 3 - get 1 free. That’s 3 dollars a ball. In a pinch they are always available. Srixon offers better deals on Z-Star. Once other urethane balls get to 30-35 a dozen nor enough reason to switch. I like the Titleist Tour Speed, but at $39.99 a dozen and not in the loyalty 4-4-3 package, I’ll stick with the X. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

Right now I am using Srixon XV. Switched to them from Bridgestone RBX red. Tp me they perform the same and the cost is a little less or was. Used to plat Callaway chrome soft but I could never figure them out around the green. Yes more operator error than ball. 

Now with the new set of clubs I am not sure I like how the performance is of this ball. I use the last couple dozen I have and do some testing of other brands and models. 

I will look at the ball test done by MSG to narrow down a new piece of equipment I won’t mind losing in the woods, water, fescue, or the occasional living room of some random house. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter