What's your take on this ?

release

On 8/2/2021 at 10:29 PM, release said:

Yes, and only if the golfer could handle the flex.  Ideally, the set should be oriented that way.  Ever heard some professionals have softer flex in their wedges  ?  This is not news, had been practiced decades ago.

The butt end of the shaft is thicker and will be the stiffer part of the shaft.  when tip trim ( parallel tip ) and then butt trim most of the length from the shaft, yes, it would make the flex softer or the frequency of flex lower.   Your 4 iron shaft is never the same as your 9 iron's even the shaft band stated the same i.d. 

You can find most of these information if you do a search ,  if you don't have real life experience with it.  Basic physic should also answer most of these questions.  Don't need someone to tell you so.

If you like to play a softer flex in your driver than your fairway wood and it works for you, then all the power to you , enjoy the game.    Perhaps in that scenario, you should have even stiffer flex in your irons than the stiff flex in your fairway woods.

Like I said, this game does not need to be good to enjoy it.  It's totally up to the golfer whether they are satisfied where they're at in the game or wish to play the best they could.

If this were true and every club was supposed to  be stiffer than the next shorter club, we'd all end up with 3x, 4x, etc. drivers and/or L or LL flex wedges.

Edited by puttnfool

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0, 60g @ 45"

TM V-Steel 5wd w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85x (holding down the fort until I can acquire a new fairway wood)

Srixon Z765 irons w/ PX LZ 6.0 (holding down the fort until I can get new irons)

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Epic Speed 4wd or SIM2 Max 3HL

Callaway UT

Srixon irons (some combination of ZX5, ZX7, and forged) likely with Aerotech i95 or i110 stiff shafts

Either RTX Zipcore or CBX2 wedge(s)

2 hours ago, puttnfool said:

If this were true and every club was supposed to n be stuffer than the next shorter club, we'd all end up with 3x, 4x, etc. drivers and/or L or LL flex wedges.

If you're looking to extend the conversation.  It's black and white.   No additional elaboration needed for the average person.  

This is the wrong thread if you wish to chase the issue.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:18 PM, release said:

If you're looking to extend the conversation.  It's black and white.   No additional elaboration needed for the average person.  

This is the wrong thread if you wish to chase the issue.

It's cool if you don't wanna stick around and explain why that theory doesn't work in practice.  No hard feelings.  I just don't think many would do well with a bag where each club was stiffer than the next shorter club.  It just doesn't make any sense.

WITB:

TM V-Steel 5wd w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85x (holding down the fort until I can acquire a new fairway wood)

Srixon Z765 irons w/ PX LZ 6.0 (holding down the fort until I can get new irons)

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Callaway UT

Srixon irons (some combination of ZX5, ZX7, and forged) likely with Aerotech i95 or i110 stiff shafts

9 minutes ago, puttnfool said:

It's cool if you don't wanna stick around and explain why that theory doesn't work in practice.  No hard feelings.  I just don't think many would do well with a bag where each club was stiffer than the next shorter club.  It just doesn't make any sense.

It's common knowledge, and you're not my children . So sorry, do your own part.  I'm also not obligated to extend the conversation since I'm not on staff with the site here to generate traffic.

1 minute ago, release said:

It's common knowledge, and you're not my children . So sorry, do your own part.  I'm also not obligated to extend the conversation since I'm not on staff with the site here to generate traffic.

Dude, I said no hard feelings.  You can let it go.  You're not the first person I've see refuse to back up their assertions.  Have a great day.

WITB:

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Callaway UT

10 hours ago, puttnfool said:

Dude, I said no hard feelings.  You can let it go.  You're not the first person I've see refuse to back up their assertions.  Have a great day.

LOL, go play with kindergarten kids.  You, need to let it go and not post on my thread if you don't want to see a non-favored respond !

Back up with what ?  If you want digital response, go get on the spread sheet.  You can input any number you wish and live the lie.

12 hours ago, release said:

Your theories on clubs aren’t common knowledge they are old outdated methods that have been proven to be wrong as technology has changed not only in club design but shaft design and the ball along with the introduction of launch monitors. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Your theories on clubs aren’t common knowledge they are old outdated methods that have been proven to be wrong as technology has changed not only in club design but shaft design and the ball along with the introduction of launch monitors. 

I'm glad to see that I'm not smokin' crack.  I was just about to give in and build a set of irons.  I was gonna make the PW an LL flex, the 9i an L flex, the 8 iron an A flex, the 7 iron an R flex, the 6 iron an S flex, the 5 iron an X flex, and the 4 iron a XX flex.  Figure I'd have to make my driver a 5X, the 3wd a 4X, and the 5wd a 3X flex to keep things "right".

• Like 1

WITB:

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Callaway UT

If it makes him happy and he can afford it, then who cares

• Like 1

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I had an old teacher who taught adults woodworking as a hobby. He used to say them, “Some buy tools because they love woodworking. Some buy tools because they love tools. Figure out which one you are and embrace it.”

Sounds like your guy’s doing just that.

• Like 1

DRIVER :ping-small: G410 PLUS 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY :ping-small: G410 3/14.5°  
HYBRIDS 
:ping-small: G410 19°, 22°  |  IRONS :mizuno-small: JPX 900 FORGED 5-PW 
WEDGES :cleveland-small: 
CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°  |  PUTTER KIRKLAND Signature KS1

BALL :wilson_staff_small: DUO SOFT +   :srixon-small: Z-URS   :callaway-small: SUPERSOFT, HX HOT BITE (old stock)
BAG :1590477705_SunMountain: 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART :Clicgear: ROVIC RV1S