Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Weaker Fairway Shaft compared to Driver

Gavwlee

When I rebuilt my set a year ago, i ended up with a driver with a 70g Stiff and my 4/5 wood with a 60g Regular. Seems to work as long as I don’t try to smash my fairway wood. Set up seems to let me get as aggressive as I want with my driver but forces me to hit more of a balanced control shot with my fairway, which helped my course management. YouTube folks seem to say that there isn’t too much of a difference in shafts, but open to thoughts. Does anyone have a similar set up?

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

First how to say if there’s any difference in shafts other than weight because gig haven’t said what shaft is in the driver and what shaft is in the fairway wood.

The shaft in your fairway wood is probably too light. The general rule of thumb is to go heavier in fairway woods or stay in the same weight as driver. Also for some people they need a different launch profile in their fairway wood compared to driver. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Most prototypical fairway setups have a weaker shaft than the driver, even if it were labeled the same. You might see a Ventus Blue in the driver and Ventus Red in the FW. Both could be stiff, but the red is a touch weaker, softer in the tip for added launch. Some people like to be able to turn over the fairway wood more as well. So not uncommon.

The bigger issue could be the weight. The raw weight is already lighter, and you chop more off the the FW length. There's no set rules here, but I would think you'd be better off with a 70 or 80 gram FW shaft. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

26 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

. You might see a Ventus Blue in the driver and Ventus Red in the FW. Both could be stiff, but the red is a touch weaker, softer in the tip for added launch.

The red isn’t weaker it’s a different profile and the red ha sam ultra stiff tip whereas the blue has a firm tip. The blue has a weaker tip than the black while having the same handle and midsection stiffness

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The red isn’t weaker it’s a different profile and the red ha sam ultra stiff tip whereas the blue has a firm tip. The blue has a weaker tip than the black while having the same handle and midsection stiffness

The red is softer in the tip. 

image.png.eb4e06011640f9fb1ffe8f819ec04125.png

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

The red is softer in the tip. 

image.png.eb4e06011640f9fb1ffe8f819ec04125.png

Yep. I was misreading something I had seen

No worries. There are no standards. You can stay in Fujikura's own product line and find a blue that it softer in the tip than a red like in the Atmos. But either way, goes back to the point where while Black and Blue might be the more popular driver profiles, blue and red would be the more popular fairway profiles because they are a little softer in the tip and higher launching. 

image.png.6fdafae6a5a528a7262c89afbf45e69c.png

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

First how to say if there’s any difference in shafts other than weight because gig haven’t said what shaft is in the driver and what shaft is in the fairway wood.

The shaft in your fairway wood is probably too light. The general rule of thumb is to go heavier in fairway woods or stay in the same weight as driver. Also for some people they need a different launch profile in their fairway wood compared to driver. 

Sorry…the driver shaft is the Diamana White and the Fairway is the Diamana Blue.

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

32 minutes ago, Gavwlee said:

Sorry…the driver shaft is the Diamana White and the Fairway is the Diamana Blue.

Nice. Very popular shafts. If you were interested you should be able to find a 70 or 80 gram Blueboard for a reasonable price. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

49 minutes ago, Gavwlee said:

You have a lower spin shaft in driver than in the fairway along with the lighter weight and while flex has no standard across the industry you are in a softer flex in your fairway in the same shaft family. I would look for an 80g blueboard in stiff form the wood if you want to be able to swing like the driver. You could also go 70 or 80g white in the fw to if you like that

I am dealing with a bad decision regarding shaft for new Epic Max. Callaway prelaunch demo day and Trackman data said the 40gm senior flex Project x was what I Should order. Old driver was Titleist 915 with Diamana red 50 gm R flex and it played well for me.

Results with new Epic have been very disappointing so now I am looking for replacement shaft. So far changing to a Project X 55 gm R-flex has made a huge difference! I can’t imagine making much more progress using this trial and error approach and a very supportive club pro. Thoughts from the forum on next steps will be appreciated. 

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback and thoughts on shafts. Looks like I should test out a heavier shaft for the fw.

46 minutes ago, paw4447 said:

I am dealing with a bad decision regarding shaft for new Epic Max. Callaway prelaunch demo day and Trackman data said the 40gm senior flex Project x was what I Should order. Old driver was Titleist 915 with Diamana red 50 gm R flex and it played well for me.

Results with new Epic have been very disappointing so now I am looking for replacement shaft. So far changing to a Project X 55 gm R-flex has made a huge difference! I can’t imagine making much more progress using this trial and error approach and a very supportive club pro. Thoughts from the forum on next steps will be appreciated. 

Thanks

Go get fit by a knowledgeable fitter who has a wide range of shafts and heads  instead of trial an error