Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Time to rethink golf ball packaging?

tony@CIC

I just received my latest fix from Snell, and did what most of us do: removing and marking the balls. Some will go into my bag others into my ball stash in my garage, none will go back into the sleeves. As I was looking at the result it occurred to me how wasteful the packaging is - especially for the DTC companies. Most of us who buy from them do it by the doz/bulk so why put them in sleeves? Is this just a holdout to "the way they've always done it" or is there just not a better way? 

IMG_8349.jpg.88362c3b47e4ccae265a0aa7a92bcb58.jpg

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I just received my latest fix from Snell, and did what most of us do: removing and marking the balls. Some will go into my bag others into my ball stash in my garage, none will go back into the sleeves. As I was looking at the result it occurred to me how wasteful the packaging is - especially for the DTC companies. Most of us who buy from them do it by the doz/bulk so why put them in sleeves? Is this just a holdout to "the way they've always done it" or is there just not a better way? 

IMG_8349.jpg.88362c3b47e4ccae265a0aa7a92bcb58.jpg

Id agree that the individual sleeves are pretty silly.  I think thats just the way they package them though, in case courses buy them and sell them in the 3-ball sleeves.

That is one thing that I do like about Nitro (yeah, I said Nitro).  All 12 balls just come in a big box.  No sleeves, just a big box.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

When I receive my 5 dozen order from Snell, I also pull them out to mark them, but then I put them back in the sleeves, but each ball will have a different number for each sleeve.  I prefer to have them in sleeves so that I can grab a sleeve or 2 before heading to the course when I want to replace some balls (my bag is stowed at the club, not at home or in my car).  It's easier to carry 1 or 2 sleeves than loose balls.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I don't know, but there could be something to this. Maybe you guys are in the minority unboxing and marking all 5 doz at once? For example I throw a sleeve or two in my bag and I don't mark a ball to I get to the first tee. So the balls stay in the sleeve until I want a new one to keep them separate from the old balls in my bag.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I believe there is a company based in Iowa that uses a tube instead of a boxed sleeve. Sniper is the name. Been thinking of picking  some up since they are local. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I leave them sleeved also. Only because i frequently give them to friends who are forgetful, and that way they arent marked the same as mine. But it wouldnt hurt my feelings if they didnt come sleeved.

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Who marks balls by the dozens?

I mark when I put it in play. The sleeves are a good way to keep things organized and it’s also a good branding tool. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 years later...

You bring up an interesting point about golf ball packaging. It's true that many of us remove and mark the balls, and the excess packaging does seem wasteful. Especially when buying in bulk, the sleeves might not be necessary.
If you're looking for more efficient and eco-friendly packaging alternatives, you might want to explore shrinkwrapping machines. These machines can provide a streamlined and effective way to package items without the need for excess materials like sleeves. They could potentially help reduce waste and enhance the overall presentation of the golf balls.

Edited by FerdinandKola

Good point about the sleeves, but i usually keep them sleeved in my bag. Unfortunately the sleeves tend to get ruined or get wet and make a mess in the bag if in too long. I think the stereotype would have to change across the board where if you buy a pack of cheap balls and they arent sleeved you dont really care, but if you bought like a pack of Pro Vs and they were just in a pack open then id think less of them just cause of the impression. I always enjoy opening a pack of vices and they may not be the best ball on the market but the packaging gives the impression of a premium ball.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse.