TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you find thin top lines intimidating?

Hook DeLoft

I'm partial to a thin top line.   I've been playing this set since I bought them Wilson Dynapower II  in 1986.    

I've finally decided to make the jump to current technology and am scheduled for a Club Champion fitting tomorrow.   I'm going in with an open mind and some ideas   Ben Hogan Players combo,  Wilson Staff CB,  

:Sub70:  849D 10.5* UST PROFORCE v2 Black, 939X Hybrid 3H Aerotech SteelFiber Hybrid HLS 780

:taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX USA EDITION for winning the 2021 Ryder Cup contest sponsored by Taylormade and MGS  

:Hogan:  GS53Max 10.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5 ,  GS53 Fairway 4W HZRDUS Smoke Black 5.5,   VKTR+Hybrid 18* 

:titelist-small:  975D 9.5* ,  975F  3-w , 5-w 

:Sub70:   699 Pro Utility Black 19.5*

:Sub70:   TAIII  RAW 4-AW , True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 (R) 

:benhogan-small:  ICON Black  4- PW , with SteelFiber i80 (R) shafts

:benhogan-small:  Wedges Equalizer II  50*, 54*, 56*,  58*, 60*  , UST Recoil 780-F4/Stiff (Graphite)

:Sub70:  005 Wide Blade putter - with :garsen: Max 17"

:Sub70:  002 Mid Mallet putter - with :garsen:  Max 17"

:Arccos: Smoke Sensors (GEN 3+) ,  Link (GEN 2) 

old clubs

:wilson_staff_small:   Wilson Dyna-Power II  3-PW,  R90 Sand iron

Not at all.  I dislike wide soles, offset, and v-soles.  I find it easier to hit clubs that have what most would consider traditional design aspects.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I worry about offset more than topline!  I want a little but when there is none it’s intimidating, too much off set and I fear the hooks!!

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

I’ve often wished someone would make a smaller club head with a ton of weight down low. Thin top line, short blade length, but with enough tungsten in the sole to give it a very low center of gravity. Of course, I might be the only person in the world who would buy them. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On 8/2/2021 at 3:30 PM, Shankster said:

Big wide soles, and chunky top lines intimidate me.  I feel like I’m going to thin everything.

I Second the motion...

2-PW 1997 TM Burner Tour Blades
TM Burner Wedges 55,60
My distances are still buttery and spot on.

More Hogan additions coming
Hogan GS53 Max - Thank you www.TrueGolfFit.com

On 8/10/2021 at 1:18 AM, tucker_jct said:

I'm partial to a thin top line.   I've been playing this set since I bought them Wilson Dynapower II  in 1986.    

I've finally decided to make the jump to current technology and am scheduled for a Club Champion fitting tomorrow.   I'm going in with an open mind and some ideas   Ben Hogan Players combo,  Wilson Staff CB,  

Please keep us up to date on Club Champion fitting.  Im interested

2-PW 1997 TM Burner Tour Blades
TM Burner Wedges 55,60
My distances are still buttery and spot on.

More Hogan additions coming
Hogan GS53 Max - Thank you www.TrueGolfFit.com

Count me in the group that doesn't care for thick top lines and wide soles.  While some irons are rather thin, my preference is the "standard" top line as exhibited by the irons in the following picture. The irons are both Ben Hogan 6 irons. To the left is the 1999 Ben Hogan Apex blade and to the right is the 2020 Ben Hogan Icon blade.  Both have the right amount of top line thickness I prefer.

Apex Icon top line.jpg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

It’s more a dislike of wide soles than thick top lines for me, and yet I game a vokey in a k grind 🤔. Clearly what works for me and what I like to look at are two different things…

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 8/18/2021 at 9:03 AM, Hook DeLoft said:

I’ve often wished someone would make a smaller club head with a ton of weight down low. Thin top line, short blade length, but with enough tungsten in the sole to give it a very low center of gravity. Of course, I might be the only person in the world who would buy them. 

HDL, you did a fair job describing the new Titleist T200 - and I have a set on order for all the reasons you listed above.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I prefer thin top lines, but I'm not bothered with thick top lines either. My thought is whatever will be the best for my game....

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 4:03 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

Yep, you might well be a relatively rare bird on this one.
Tons of weight down low would push the ball up in the air. A lot of people who love a thin top line and short blade strike it well enough and don't struggle getting the ball airborne.... some, me included, have the opposite problem, their balls are too high for good control.
However, I guess that a thin top line, limited offset, a mid-to-long blade and tons of weight close to the sole may well be a recipe attractive to a very large swath of the golfing population (say from an slowish 8 to a 36, easy)

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:30 PM, Shankster said:

Big wide soles, and chunky top lines intimidate me.  I feel like I’m going to thin everything.

I'm in this zip code as well, but it's especially a problem for me with clubhead size.  That's where I start feeling like I can't get the clubhead on the ball, because it's so big.

On 8/9/2021 at 3:26 PM, BIG STU said:

Got to agree with you 150%--- Grew up on Mac and Spalding blades so no thin top line is too thin for me--- Still play Mac blades .  Thick bounce soles and chunky top lines mess with me--- I also do not like a lot of offset

Amusingly, when I got my Muirfield irons, I thought the topline was kind of thick.  Probably because I spent so much time playing Golden Rams, starting relatively soon after starting the game.

I don't think I have much in the way of topline pics, I should see what I could whip up....

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2021 at 2:30 PM, mikedevine said:

Kroydon blades, I was 10 years old and played Northwestern blades. I still have a Kroydon wood out in the garage.

then you and I might be around the same age, most folks don't even know the name Kroydon. Sad part I remember aluminum shafts in clubs and Shakespear golf coming out with fiberglass shafts