Marshalls

47 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

6 minutes?!?  Any course that does that should be called the Grinch. I wouldn’t touch it with a ten and a half foot pole. 

And they don't turn away walk ups either. Take the money and get in line at #1. Played it twice, took over 6 hours both times, never going back. And it's the public course everyone raves about on my side of town. I don't understand it.

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

And if I had a nickel every time I've been told "walking slows the game down"...

This one drives me nuts.  I do play "slower" walking, but only if I am first out and no one is in front of me.  On a busy weekend, walking doesn't slow anything down.  In fact, I'd argue if more people walked, they would complain less because they would not be rushing to the next tee box and waiting, it just flows better. 

I'm not saying carts should go away, I love carts (they carry more beer than my push cart) but I just hate this "walking is way slower" take that courses sometimes take.

Marshals are only as useless as the course would allow them to be.  They are the league of nations, given power to make rules but no way to enforce it. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

30 minutes ago, den748 said:

This one drives me nuts.  I do play "slower" walking, but only if I am first out and no one is in front of me.  On a busy weekend, walking doesn't slow anything down.  In fact, I'd argue if more people walked, they would complain less because they would not be rushing to the next tee box and waiting, it just flows better. 

I'm not saying carts should go away, I love carts (they carry more beer than my push cart) but I just hate this "walking is way slower" take that courses sometimes take.

Marshals are only as useless as the course would allow them to be.  They are the league of nations, given power to make rules but no way to enforce it. 

Right walking it's definitely not shower than carts. With walking I can go right to my ball instead of zig zag from the cart path. I can keep moving while the other players hit. Most cart groups, myself included, the other 3 golfers stop everything when the one is hitting. And same thing at the green instead of having to stay 50 feet away I can walk right up (and actually fix my ball mark). And then there's the cart path only days where a cart is much slower.

• Like 2

Take Dead Aim

On 8/3/2021 at 2:04 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Right walking it's definitely not shower than carts. With walking I can go right to my ball instead of zig zag from the cart path. I can keep moving while the other players hit. Most cart groups, myself included, the other 3 golfers stop everything when the one is hitting. And same thing at the green instead of having to stay 50 feet away I can walk right up (and actually fix my ball mark). And then there's the cart path only days where a cart is much slower.

Whenever someone compares walkers to riders they always use the example of "bad" riders. They wait until each guy hits, they don't go to their ball, etc. What about bad walkers? They can just as easily walk down the middle of the FW talking when each has hit to a different side, then wait for each guy to hit, etc. That's just bad golf, period, walking or riding. Both sides playing intelligently walking is simply slower, especially on courses with decent distances from green to next tee. Nothing to get defensive about.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, den748 said:

People would play a lot better walking. Good luck being a left right older walking in 90 deg weather. You’d either get better a lot quicker or you wouldn’t be playing much golf

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Why does every Marshall/Ranger/Starter at every public course in America look exactly the same?  Is there just one grumpy old man that teleports or is there a factory somewhere that makes them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Driver- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpg Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- tour-edge.gif.a6f294e0926c30f03c36126cc7c0ec50.gifTour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- tour-edge.gif.a6f294e0926c30f03c36126cc7c0ec50.gifTour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons- Taylor-Made-Logo.jpg.a922638edae25f1c036539a36e9a0f6e.jpgTaylormade RSi2, 5-PW
  • Wedges- Acer.jpg.51238d11edef77900a56a58a1ce09fc4.jpgAcer XB, 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Putter- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpgPing Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- GHzATeLo.jpg.69ffdb028e4ddbcd7846eb57a52b47ee.jpgSnell MTB-X
  • Bag- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpg2021 Ping Hoofer USA Edition 

On 8/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, pulledabill said:

Buddy and his cuz were playing at a local course yesterday when the marshall just happened to be on the #1 tee box. They were playing the tips (6850) and the marshall asked them what their hdcp was.Buddy tries to joke and says whatever club is in my hand. Marshall had no humor and told them they are really busy and should maybe move up a box (6300ish). Buddy said he would not and they both proceeded to smoke their drives from the tips. They were a twosome with 4some in front of them. 

Hole #5 same marshall approached them (they were keeping up just fine and waiting every shot) and told them that they both needed to hit as soon as the group in front of them  hit their shots from the fairway. Buddy said he would not because he is much longer than the  group in front of them and can reach the par 5s in 2. Marshall didnt like that he wasnt willing to change his game to accommodate the packed course.  

This rubs me wrong because all their marshalls (minus 1) are all like this and rule with what is almost an iron fist. Its to the point that when we see a marshall coming we say "who ÷&%$ up this time". Complete turn off to this course but we do play it a ton early season as it drains decently. 

They do a 7/8 minute tee time rotation so maybe thats on them for aiding in creating slow play. 

Buddy plays to a -2 while his cuz plays to a -6 so both certainly capable.

So there's this restaurant/hotel chain that's here in Portland and every person who works there is the biggest jerk ever. It always makes me wonder what these people are like in interviews. Are the people hiring them glad they're jerks? This also applies to marshals at courses. They're usually humorless old cats who are in your business. There seems to be a common theme in that they forget that you're a customer and you've paid money to be there. So don't come over and yap at me about hurrying up or moving up tees. Unless I'm doing something egregious, gtfoh.

• Like 1

Check out my swing I learned it from YouTube.

I had a Marshall insist I hit when the group in front of us was only around 200 out. I said no they were in range. He said they weren't, you need to hit.  I hit and sent it over their carts. Then I told him to drive down and apologize. Never saw him again that day. If you haven't watched people hit you shouldn't tell them when they should. 

I have also dealt with some great ones. Offers course advise on tough holes. Keeps the slow groups moving, and spots balls.

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Most of the ones at my course don’t do anything, they just drive around and occasionally will ask how things are going.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Someone is power tripping!  The main issue there is the over booking IMO.  There are a few local courses I don't play anymore for that reason.  It's a shame because they are good tracks too 

Bag: Big Max Dri Lite Summit Black/Red

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic

3 Wood: Callaway Epix Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g

4-AW Irons: TaylorMade P790 - KBS Tour 120g Stiff *fitted

52* 56* & 60* Wedges: Cleveland RTX4

Putter: Mizuno M Craft I Blue

Ball: Vice Pro Plus or whatever premium ball was on sale recently