If they changed the rules tomorrow...

Jcosta

Personally I do not see a need to add another club.  If you count the number of clubs you use during a round I bet you do not use every club in the bag.  Most golfers have their favorites.  Look at the pros, most are hitting drivers and wedges on the par fours and reaching the par fives with an iron on their second shot.  How many of them use 14 clubs.  Some do even carry a true three wood.  I say master the fourteen that you have and manage you shots effectively on the course. 

I found an interesting article from Golf Digest regarding the origin of the 14 club rule:  Why do we have the 14 club rule?

"Which often leads golfers to ask, “OK, but why a limit and why 14?” As with most rules that involve equipment, advancing technology was one of the culprits.

For years players were content to go into battle armed with a relatively slim array of hickory-shafted weapons. That changed when the steel shaft was universally approved for use in 1929 (the USGA had approved its use earlier but it took some time for the R&A to get on board). Some golfers were torn, not sure they wanted to go to steel because they were unfamiliar with how those clubs would react, but not wanting to pass on potentially better equipment. The solution for many became to have a bag that incorporated both hickory and steel clubs, sending the number of sticks in the bag soaring.  (mixed bag by today's standards but with unlimited clubs.  This comment is mine and not theirs)

Good news for players. Bad news for the caddies. Those poor bastards often ended up lugging two bags instead of one—and caddies back then weren’t making the kind of scratch they do now. Lawson Little was perhaps the most infamous offender, as the winner of the 1934 and 1935 U.S. and British Amateurs often had 30 clubs at his disposal. Some players went with a set of right-handed and left-handed clubs and a survey at the 1935 U.S. Open showed the average number of clubs in a contestant’s bag was 18.

At this point, the USGA and R&A had seen enough. Just as with today in which the governing bodies are fretting about the role of technology in the game, the rules makers back then were afraid that such a large number of clubs would make skill less prominent. Additionally, it provided an advantage for well-to-do golfers who had the wherewithal to purchase more clubs than their less-fortunate brethren.

In 1936 the USGA and R&A adopted the 14-club limit with it going into effect in 1938. It has been in effect since.

Oh, and why 14? No one really knows, although it has been surmised that most common set makeup at the time was four woods, nine irons and a putter. You don’t even need a calculator to know that’s 14 bats."

I feel that 14 is adequate and let's keep the more skill in the game.    

Edited by ChuckZ
  • Like 1

Titleist

DRIVER - TSI3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S  

FAIRWAY - TSI2 16.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 18.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-W - True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGE - VOKEY SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94gm R300                                         * GolfPride MC+4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges) 

PUTTER - 2020 CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM  - 35" Newport 2                                                    * GolfPride SNSR 104 Grip

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST PROV 1

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST MIDSIZE TOUR BAG BLACK 

GOLF GLOVE - FOOTJOY (StaSof, Hyper Flex, StaCooler, Rain Glove)

SHOES/APPAREL - FOOTJOY 

I only have one club in my bag now... a putter.  Going off my last bag (D, 3w, 5w, 7w, 9w, 5-PW, GW, SW, LW, putter), I'd add a 4i.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0, 60g @ 45"

TM V-Steel 5wd w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85x (holding down the fort until I can acquire a new fairway wood)

Srixon Z765 irons w/ PX LZ 6.0 (holding down the fort until I can get new irons)

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Epic Speed 4wd or SIM2 Max 3HL

Callaway UT

Srixon irons (some combination of ZX5, ZX7, and forged) likely with Aerotech i95 or i110 stiff shafts

Either RTX Zipcore or CBX2 wedge(s)

Since I don't play competitive golf, I have 17 clubs currently in my bag. D, 3W, 5W, 2-4 H, 4-9 irons, PW, AW, 52, 56 and P.  Also since I play an array of courses all over the place I never know what I will need on any given day.  On the rare occasion where I'm playing in a match and not playing Wolf, I'll take out my 3W, 3H, and 4I. But that is few and far between

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

3 hours ago, Calvo90 said:

Lefty 7 iron in otherwise righty bag for those nasty shots by the tree or from under the bush. 

Use to carry a the same thing.  Got me out of a lot of jams

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

Heavenwood!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

18 hours ago, BostonSal said:

I would add a high loft 9 or 11-wood to hit recovery shots from the rough.

I'm not really missing anything else, but restoring the GINTY concept could be helpful,

if anybody here is old enough for that reference.

Oh yeah I am old enough for that reference and I have 2 Gintys. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 5 thru 9 1980 Mac VIP Hogan Apex #2 shaft---PW  Hogan TK-15 50* KBS Wedge Shaft---- SW  Callaway PM 56 modified grind 8* KBS Wedge shaft---- Putter 1997 Rusty Scotty Santa Fe Bullseye fluted shaft--- Bag Old School Jones Classic non stand

11 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

Personally I do not see a need to add another club.  If you count the number of clubs you use during a round I bet you do not use every club in the bag.  Most golfers have their favorites.  Look at the pros, most are hitting drivers and wedges on the par fours and reaching the par fives with an iron on their second shot.  How many of them use 14 clubs.  Some do even carry a true three wood.  I say master the fourteen that you have and manage you shots effectively on the course. 

I found an interesting article from Golf Digest regarding the origin of the 14 club rule:  Why do we have the 14 club rule?

"Which often leads golfers to ask, “OK, but why a limit and why 14?” As with most rules that involve equipment, advancing technology was one of the culprits.

For years players were content to go into battle armed with a relatively slim array of hickory-shafted weapons. That changed when the steel shaft was universally approved for use in 1929 (the USGA had approved its use earlier but it took some time for the R&A to get on board). Some golfers were torn, not sure they wanted to go to steel because they were unfamiliar with how those clubs would react, but not wanting to pass on potentially better equipment. The solution for many became to have a bag that incorporated both hickory and steel clubs, sending the number of sticks in the bag soaring.  (mixed bag by today's standards but with unlimited clubs.  This comment is mine and not theirs)

Good news for players. Bad news for the caddies. Those poor bastards often ended up lugging two bags instead of one—and caddies back then weren’t making the kind of scratch they do now. Lawson Little was perhaps the most infamous offender, as the winner of the 1934 and 1935 U.S. and British Amateurs often had 30 clubs at his disposal. Some players went with a set of right-handed and left-handed clubs and a survey at the 1935 U.S. Open showed the average number of clubs in a contestant’s bag was 18.

At this point, the USGA and R&A had seen enough. Just as with today in which the governing bodies are fretting about the role of technology in the game, the rules makers back then were afraid that such a large number of clubs would make skill less prominent. Additionally, it provided an advantage for well-to-do golfers who had the wherewithal to purchase more clubs than their less-fortunate brethren.

In 1936 the USGA and R&A adopted the 14-club limit with it going into effect in 1938. It has been in effect since.

Oh, and why 14? No one really knows, although it has been surmised that most common set makeup at the time was four woods, nine irons and a putter. You don’t even need a calculator to know that’s 14 bats."

I feel that 14 is adequate and let's keep the more skill in the game.    

LOL see you are right down the road from me---- Now back in the 60s and 70s i was around a lot of high dollar gamblers. In those games anything goes as long as it is agreed on before hand. One guy I knew in those days must have had at least 25 clubs in his bag. I can remember this guy bought a brand new PGA brand Tuffhorse bag from my old man ( who ran a course) first thing he did when taking it out of the box was take the 3 way divider out ( LOL again remember only 3 way dividers? ) That way his clubs did not tangle. Never figured him out until I was older and got educated in club mechanics. He carried like 3 different brands of 6 irons. He would hit a certain one on different shots. He had all his clubs tweaked to certain lofts and knew what to do with each one. Anothe funny thing about the bag was the reason he ordered it was because of the front "garmet" pocket. He chewed Red Man tobacco and he could take 2 flats of 12 pouches and take the pouches out and stack them in the bag. Another more sinister reason he took the club dividers out was because he carried a single shot 12 guage sawed off shotgun stuck barrel down in that bag. I am telling you first hand that bag was heavy and thank the Lord above for electric carts. I do not think there is a caddy alive now or then that could make 9 holes much less 18 on our hilly course. He was one heck of a player and a terror on the SE "gamblers circuit" Another well know hustler from our area qualified for the US Open one year. Some one asked Jay ( that was his name) why he did not try the US Open. He told them they will not let me carry all my clubs and the shotgun. Quite a character and needless to say no one messed with him. My old man told me that back in the day when he was young Jay could darn near whip anyone with his fists but he had gotten old. He was in his mid 50s when I knew him. I guess the guys like Lawson Little had their clubs dialed in the same way minus the shotgun

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 5 thru 9 1980 Mac VIP Hogan Apex #2 shaft---PW  Hogan TK-15 50* KBS Wedge Shaft---- SW  Callaway PM 56 modified grind 8* KBS Wedge shaft---- Putter 1997 Rusty Scotty Santa Fe Bullseye fluted shaft--- Bag Old School Jones Classic non stand

Would add back my 3h I just took it out bc I got the 4i in there and it was between 3h and 5w .. 5w I hit longer but I had the 3h forever like 10 years .. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Great question!  As of this moment probably a wedge I could actually hit.  Currently my wedges and I are not friends.

• Haha 1
  • Bag        1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png     C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons       635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter       default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                  Huntington Beach  soft 10.5 C
  • 2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.1a396eb0e7a56229c153cfe6bb5b7435.jpg                            2021 Tester

Seemore3.jpg

1 hour ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Great question!  As of this moment probably a wedge I could actually hit.  Currently my wedges and I are not friends.

When you find one, get one for me too!

• Haha 2

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and Cleveland 588 56° wedges

PIng Anser putter

... I have been in this predicament for awhile now since moving to Phoenix. I would LOVE to add a 15th club. I have similar distance clubs in my 18* 2iron and my 18* 5 wood but they serve different purposes as I use the 2 iron off the tee quite a bit and my 5 wood from the fairway or light rough. But this combo meant dropping a wedge or more appropriately not adding a wedge when I went to stronger lofted irons. I am playing 45-50-58 wedges and would love to bend the 50* to 49* and add a 52* bent to 53*. Right now the gap between my 85yd 58* and 115yd 50* means I have to play less than full swing shots in that 90-105 range . Not a huge problem if the pin is middle or back but a front pin over a bunker or false front can be problematic as the error will always be long leaving a difficult putt. Bunkers in Phoenix are usually hard pan and a 1 stroke "penalty" so short is almost never an option. 

• Like 1

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-MT SR 
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec/4i FTx ... KBS TGi 85S
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Honestly if given the opportunity, I would probably just have two drivers or another wedge for specialty shots. 

In the past I have played like this on certain courses with having an 8 Degree, and a 12 Degree in the bag, but then having to go 52, 58 on wedges. On the other side, I have played shorter courses where I could take Driver out of the bag and add in another wedge at 62 or 64 degrees.

:titelist-small: TSi3 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White X

:titelist-small: TSi3 15* w/ Tensei AV Raw White X

:srixon-small: ZXU 18* w/ Ventus Black 9X

:srixon-small: ZX5 4 Iron / ZX7 5-PW w/ KBS $ Taper X

:vokey-small: SM8 50 F-grind / 54 F-grind / 58 K-grind w/ True Temper Gold Onyx Tour S400

:scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select 35 Inch Del Mar

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash

:ping-small:  Hoofer Stand Bag

:footjoy-small:  Premiere Series Packard

Has anybody noticed how many cart bag manufacturers have already gone to fifteen club capacity?

In this day of individual full-length dividers, these bags are clearly designed for a specific number of clubs.

Titleist, for example has the Cart 14 and the Cart 15.

Ping has the fourteen club Traverse and the fifteen club Pioneer.

Maybe we need to ask, Are we playing cart bag rules, today?  

I'm cool with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Has anybody noticed how many cart bag manufacturers have already gone to fifteen club capacity?

In this day of individual full-length dividers, these bags are clearly designed for a specific number of clubs.

Titleist, for example has the Cart 14 and the Cart 15.

Ping has the fourteen club Traverse and the fifteen club Pioneer.

Maybe we need to ask, Are we playing cart bag rules, today?  

I'm cool with it.

Perhaps it is for more than just clubs.  Many people carry alignment sticks, ball retrievers, or orange whip type aids in their bag and the extra slot is very handy to accommodate those items.   I personally have a 14 slot bag and would love to have an extra for my alignment sticks.  Look in most pro bags and alignment sticks are a must have item.   Sharing a slot with a club just makes it cumbersome.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What would make the most sense is another wedge, either 52 or 56. If I was to go to the top of the bag, it's either a high lofted fairway (carry 15* wood & 18* hybrid) or a 2i/3i for aggressive punch outs.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: Odyssey Versa #7 32"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

44 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Perhaps it is for more than just clubs.  Many people carry alignment sticks, ball retrievers, or orange whip type aids in their bag and the extra slot is very handy to accommodate those items.   I personally have a 14 slot bag and would love to have an extra for my alignment sticks.  Look in most pro bags and alignment sticks are a must have item.   Sharing a slot with a club just makes it cumbersome.  

I use it most often for my Drizzle Stick umbrella.

• Like 2

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I think a lot would add a longer club or wedge for gapping but there would also be quite a few content with gapping and add a club for specific purposes. I would personally probably add a 5 wood or maybe a wedge with a different bounce depending on the course I'm playing. I don't think there would be anything wrong with having two 56* or 60* wedges if they play differently.