Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Different Handicaps Under Different Conditions/Locations

Are there any other golfers here who like to slice and dice their handicaps?  

I got a little bored tonight (or REALLY bored) and created a google sheet with all of my handicaps over the past year plus.  Found some things that are interesting to me but not all that surprising.

First the good:  My handicap is plummeting.  This is something I knew but this is also what kicked off my curiosity.  I have been playing MUCH more golf at my home course, to the point where 15 of my 20 counted rounds are at home.

The good, the bad, and the ugly:  My home handicap is a 7.6, my away number is 10.6, and then my competition handicap is an 11.6.  And the competition one is only that low because of a few competitions at my home course.  

Some other interesting tidbits:

Avg Handicap Counting Score: 79.13

Average Score: 86.7

Take-a-way:  When your friends that don't have a handicap tell you that they have an average score of 90 (for example), their handicap should probably be based on a score of around an 86.  Don't give them too many strokes to your detriment.

Out of all my scores in the past ~18 months I have only been below my current handicap around 7% of the time.   So the takeaway here is that you shouldn't expect to shoot your handicap often.  While we should all know this, I think people get overly upset when they are not at their handicap or feel embarrassed if they play with someone and say their a 7 but then shoot a 90...it happens!  Another take-a-way is that I'm improving!  If you see this number at a high percentage then you're probably trending in the wrong direction.

Anyways, thought maybe people would find this a little bit interesting.  If you want to see the sheet, feel free to go here and make copies if you want to input your own scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qTF_yFM046NESiB35FkJq75t6xCkS894PFyu1ZGH7bQ/edit?usp=sharing

I gotta start working on my competition prep and nerves.  Being that far off my handicap when playing when it matters is no bueno.

For discussion sake, is there a point where I am posting too many home scores?  I get that it shouldn't matter but lets be honest, you get a lot of benefit from playing the same course over and over again.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

You're dead on about not giving people without a handicap too many strokes.  Handicap represents a golfer's potential, not how they typically perform.  By definition, you're not going to shoot your handicap very often.  A better question to ask your non-handicap keeping friends is "what is the best score you've shot in the last ______" and fill in the blank with whatever is appropriate based on how much they play.  For my buddies, they don't get out very often so I might ask them what is the best score they've shot in the last 2 years which might represent the best of 10 rounds.  

1. If you play golf post your score. 
  2. Don't play in net events.

Nothing surprises me about your score breakdown, seems pretty normal for most golfers who keep a legit handicap. The home away thing is almost 100% true for everyone even plus indexes. I knew a guy who at his home club was almost impossible to beat, he carried somewhere between +4 & +6. At any other golf course he was a 0. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."