X-flex for Senior ?

release

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Flex like swing speed is just a starting point for most fitters today especially the good ones. Finding a weight and launch/shaft profile along with feel so what fitters use to dial in a setup. With launch monitors fitters have a lot more data available to them than the days of swing speed = flex and swing the stiffest you can handle.

between watching ball flight, feedback from the golfer and the launch monitor data they can get someone in the right shaft that would make some scratch their head in how and why that person would be in that flex. There’s been several posts across this forum id people ending up in shafts/flexes they wouldn’t have picked for themselves. @Golfspy_CG2 is one that comes to mind if going from a regular or senior flex into a stiff flex in the same weight iirc and gained distance despite having around a 90mph swing speed 

Completely agree. For me, it is about spin control (high spin player) and dispersion. Feel is also important,  but the first two are more important to me in long clubs.I have seen people who swing faster than me in softer flexes. 

I have long contemplated softer flexes in wedges, as most pros play softer flexes in them. I had reshafted some old snake eyes wedges with r flex score shafts and hit them recently. I loved them. I will experiment one day. I could probably play s flex in my irons with no real losses honestly.

@release, I saw your points in another thread about flex and you need to rethink things. Times have changed. Many players (most pros) go softer in shorter clubs for more spin, softer feel, etc. Just go through some witb for players and you will see this. 

Everything is dependent on how you deliver the club. Guys like Koepka and DJ (from what I recall) play higher lofted drivers and shafts that are higher launch than me (softer mid/butt sections) and they swing way faster than me. I am sure their hands are more ahead and they deloft the club at impact. I am the opposite - my hands are typically behind the club a bit at impact. I hit the ball high and spin it a lot, especially in longer clubs. I play a lot more knockdown and controlled shots with short irons and wedges and can get my hands ahead. So, I can play softer flexes and different profiles.

There is no real cut and dry rules anymore. Data, feel, and the eye test all should be used.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", D3 surefit and H2, D5 SW, 45 3/8", PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber Avalon T6*, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D4, Maltby KE4 FDI 19° (bent to 17°)Modus 120S 3 iron shaft,

Maltby TS-1 irons, Modus 120X soft stepped once, 4-6, Dynamic Gold Sensicore x100 7-pw, D4, 2° flat

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong

Tp5x pix

On 8/3/2021 at 3:31 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Stop worrying about flex as the sole determining factors. Find a good fitter will find a weight and profile that works for you.

Theres no standard in fkex across the industry and within a shaft manufacturer their flexes will play different in their various lines. One could play a 70g stiff in the hzrdus line and be in a 70g x stiff from Mitsubishi and have similar results. Also some shafts may work in one head and not work in a different club manufacturers head

My True Spec fitter pretty much said the same thing about shaft flex and pairing certain heads with certain shafts.  He told me that I wouldn't believe the number of customers who are hung up on shaft flex... some ultimately not choosing the one that posts the best numbers.  I had no issues/hang-up about shaft flex but, to be honest, might have felt a little ashamed had the "senior flex" options come out off the rack.  I'm 60 with a driver ss ~92 which by many "standard charts" has me on the R vs. S fence rail.  He moved me from PING Alta CB S to the KBS Tour 50 Cat 2 (R) and my distance and FIR have improved.

In answer to your question, if X-Flex in a particular shaft produces the best numbers, go with it.  Also, 50 may be senior designation for the tour but you'll find the 60 and over crowd not giving you any slack on the courses 😉

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

10 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

My True Spec fitter pretty much said the same thing about shaft flex and pairing certain heads with certain shafts.  He told me that I wouldn't believe the number of customers who are hung up on shaft flex... some ultimately not choosing the one that posts the best numbers.  I had no issues/hang-up about shaft flex but, to be honest, might have felt a little ashamed had the "senior flex" options come out off the rack.  I'm 60 with a driver ss ~92 which by many "standard charts" has me on the R vs. S fence rail.  He moved me from PING Alta CB S to the KBS Tour 50 Cat 2 (R) and my distance and FIR have improved.

In answer to your question, if X-Flex in a particular shaft produces the best numbers, go with it.  Also, 50 may be senior designation for the tour but you'll find the 60 and over crowd not giving you any slack on the courses 😉

Yeah the swing speed, age and to some extent wrist to floor mentality has stuck around in golf for well past it’s usefulness. But unfortunately both shaft and club manufacturers have to use something to designate specs for those who buy off the rack and based on what they know/been told about equipment in the old days.

Unfortunately ego for even those of us who have the knowledge of designs and ball flights have out bias towards a certain flex stamped on the club or the weight and for some the loft.

I am pretty sure a recoil 95 stiff in the jpx 921 or even the modus 105 in some other irons I’ve messed with but mentally I can’t get past the shaft weight and recoil 110 is the lightest I try to go 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, release said:

I had never disputed the modern equipment help the game.  If the softer driver ( longer length ) fits you, then it fits you.  It'll probably not because of it fit in the general term but you.   Have you tried regular flex also with the shorter sticks ?  Probably should.

I had seen golfers swing the driver differently than other sticks.  Not that I had seen your golf swing on video or in person, apologize for the assumption here.  If you look into the data collected from the given information ( as it may not be all truthful), most the professionals , showed different.   Not disputing your case, by the way , congratulation on the scratch status,  maybe you'll go to the plus side if you get fitted each new season ?

Out of curiosity, how many rounds of golf you had played/ season while maintaining the 3.5 index , and how many rounds of golf you averaged to get to the 0.8 ?    Maybe, you deserved the scratch status long ago, had you had the same playing /practice time ?   35 years of golfing, qualifies you as an official golf nuts, and there are lots of us around but not many had achieved the single index status. 

I'll check around when I have time to make sure my opinion on the stiffest flex one could handle on the driver shaft for better result, is still true these days.  Maybe the new golf shaft technology combined with the new head design will allow for tighter dispersion pattern for the drivers.  Honestly, I had no hands on with the new drivers in the last 4-5 years now.  Didn't see any improvements for the professionals except for the average distance are up in numbers.   

One of the guys tested the New Ping G400 driver when it came out and he was very impressed of how straight the driver was.  He is still holding the same index after the purchase but, the distance and the fairway hits were improved from his other old ( 6 years ) driver.  Obviously technology worked, 

For the last 15 years I have played roughly the same amount of golf each season. Once or twice a week for 10 months out of the year plus usually a week of golf away on a buddies trip.

I have several drivers stiff, regular, longer and shorter different brands and weights. But if I can hit it 240 / 250 down the middle with this combination I would not look to change or experiment. But if I was participating in a driver test that's a different story. I have a great setup to compare against. The product being tested would have serious competition.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"