TESTERS WANTED! ×

Need a new fairway wood

NotBrian

I am looking to replace my 3 wood, I got a Mizuno ST-200TS last year without hitting it because I liked how it looked at address (pro shop money, had to order something that day). But it is very heavy and I think I bit off more than I can chew with the shaft weight and flex, went with the x flex, should have gone with S, feels like I'm swinging a hunk of rebar with a concrete head on it, no matter how hard I swing, just feels heavy and dead. My main problem is I have been playing well this year at my club and have a bunch of pro shop money again, but I want to hit the fairway before I buy, which isn't possible at my course as they don't have any demos on hand of anything. If I was paying out of pocket I'd roll into 2nd swing and get fit, but I don't want to pay the premium for the fit because I wouldn't purchase through them. Is it in bad taste to hit a bunch of options at like Golf Galaxy or PGATour Superstore without buying? Just curious on what you guys would do. Sorry for the life story for a simple question. Hit em well!

Driver: Taylormade Sim (Handcrafted Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5 flex)

Fairway: Mizuno ST200ts 15* (Tensei Blue X Flex) (Needs to be replaced)

Utility: Sub 70 699u 17* 2 iron (Proforce V2 S Flex) / Sub 70 699u Pro 19.5* 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

Irons: Mizuno MP 25 4-PW (Project X S Flex)

Wedges: 50* & 54* Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 58* Cobra Snakebite Versatile Grind/60* PM Grind Callaway

Putter: Tommy Armour Habanero

Ball: Titleist Pro V1/Pro V1x

I go to PGA Super store all the time to hit clubs. Grab 5 fairways and go to town. They don't care. You are in the market for a new club, so test them out. That's what they want you to do, increases the change that one sticks out and you walk out with it. You have no obligation to make a purchase though. You are just in your research phase and are just trying to see whats out there, how they feel, what they look like, etc.  

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Support your local pro!  Go to PGA Superstore hit a few and see what you like then order through your pro.  IT happens a lot more than you think

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

On 8/3/2021 at 12:04 PM, scooterhd2 said:

I go to PGA Super store all the time to hit clubs. Grab 5 fairways and go to town. They don't care. You are in the market for a new club, so test them out. That's what they want you to do, increases the change that one sticks out and you walk out with it. You have no obligation to make a purchase though. You are just in your research phase and are just trying to see whats out there, how they feel, what they look like, etc.  

This. Most PGA Super Store staff don't care if you wan't to hit and will at worst just leave you alone in the bay for 15 minutes while you swing away.

I don't like some of the personalities at my local one (one guy didn't know where the Cleveland and Srixons were because he focused on the "real" brands and said anyone who plays Cleveland HB Launchers shouldn't be on the course), but they will gladly let you swing away and do research while they try and push you in one direction or the other. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, Granata13 said:

Support your local pro!  Go to PGA Superstore hit a few and see what you like then order through your pro.  IT happens a lot more than you think

This is what I ended up doing, just had him order it for me. Actually went with your exact 3wood and shaft combo (depending on flex).

Utility: Sub 70 699u 17* 2 iron (Proforce V2 S Flex) / Sub 70 699u Pro 19.5* 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

Wedges: 50* & 54* Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 58* Cobra Snakebite Versatile Grind/60* PM Grind Callaway

On 8/10/2021 at 8:50 AM, MNUte said:

This. Most PGA Super Store staff don't care if you wan't to hit and will at worst just leave you alone in the bay for 15 minutes while you swing away.

I don't like some of the personalities at my local one (one guy didn't know where the Cleveland and Srixons were because he focused on the "real" brands and said anyone who plays Cleveland HB Launchers shouldn't be on the course), but they will gladly let you swing away and do research while they try and push you in one direction or the other. 

Yikes, what a brand/club snob. I stopped in a few times, was getting a new tip on a driver shaft I purchased so I hit when I dropped it off, and then when I picked it up, the first guy asked me which ones I wanted to try with what flex, lined them up, typed in his code, and walked away. Second guy kind of hovered around but yeah, I seemed to be mistaken and think they would get more pushy with buying after trying type of thing. Had it more in my head of something like furniture salespeople I guess. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

In Massachusetts, Worldwide Golf seems reasonable - Staff will help (not ‘push’) with club selection; the 90-day ‘play-return-credit’ warranty on both new & used clubs is a definite plus. 

Driver:    :tour-edge: E523. Offset. A-Light. 12’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. A-Light. 16.0’

Hybrid:    :tour-edge:  E523. Offset. A-Light. 4H-22’

Hybrid:    :tour-edge:  E523. Offset. A-Light. 5H-25’

Irons:        :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:     :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:        :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

On 8/10/2021 at 9:50 AM, MNUte said:

I don't like some of the personalities at my local one (one guy didn't know where the Cleveland and Srixons were because he focused on the "real" brands and said anyone who plays Cleveland HB Launchers shouldn't be on the course

Never heard of that one before hahaha, definitively beat that guy who said I had a little fade... a 80 yards fade. As for the HB launcher, they have a bad reputation cause they don't look like  a standard blade... they get the job done and tons of weekend players would benefit from them but they don't look like a blade...

Love those retail golf store worker say those thing, they just deserve you try all your club at their place and order it from a pro

Great idea, but I am one in favor of going to a shop that specializes in fittings.  In particular where they are experienced and are certified.  My fitter has 30 years experience and is certified with all the major brands.  This ensures that I get the right shaft and head.  Hitting a number of different clubs is great, but the shaft is the driving force.  You have to get on TrackMan.  Those numbers mean a lot.  Personally I love the new TSi fairways.  I am hitting my Titleist TSi2 16.5* farther and more accurately that my previous 917F 15*.  Just my two cents worth.  It has the POW and WOW factors.  If PGA Stores will let you hit a number of different shafts and use their Trackman then go for it.  The course I play at does fittings for one brand only and not one I play. 

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I bought a "like new" Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3 wood off of the Callaway Pre-owned  site a couple of months ago and really like it.  It was not "like new" when it arrived, it WAS new, in the original packaging.

I have a Ping 425 Max 7-wood, with a 5-wood shaft, on order.  I loved it at the fitting two damn months ago but I am still waiting on Ping. 

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

4 hours ago, ClarkWGriswoldIII said:

I bought a "like new" Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3 wood off of the Callaway Pre-owned  site a couple of months ago and really like it.  It was not "like new" when it arrived, it WAS new, in the original packaging.

I have a Ping 425 Max 7-wood, with a 5-wood shaft, on order.  I loved it at the fitting two damn months ago but I am still waiting on Ping. 

I keep hearing that the Callaway preowned site basically advertises a tier below what the quality actually shows up in. Like, I've heard multiple times happenings just like yours where the like new was still in wrappers, or that the "very good" was a demo club that was in beautiful condition. Guess I'll have to keep them in mind in the future when shopping for new clubs. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 8/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, MNUte said:

I keep hearing that the Callaway preowned site basically advertises a tier below what the quality actually shows up in. Like, I've heard multiple times happenings just like yours where the like new was still in wrappers, or that the "very good" was a demo club that was in beautiful condition. Guess I'll have to keep them in mind in the future when shopping for new clubs. 

That has been my experience with all of the clubs I purchased from them over the years.

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

I purchased a Tour Edge 5 wood for some reason and started hitting it and found it great. Hit out of fairway bunkers, not a problem. Less than great lie, not a problem. Was playing Titleist off the tee and strong 3, but liked the Tour Edge 5 so much that I got the C721 in a strong 3, added an inch to stock shaft length and absolutely love this club. I use this club off the tee a lot and only lose 5-10 yards, but routinely find the fairway and believe it or not usually hit the ball off the deck on the tee instead of putting a tee under it. I know Tour Edge is not on everyone’s top of mind, but take a look as you try things out. They are making some very nice clubs now and you can usually get a club customized directly from them in 3-4 days and their price is right compared to big names which take forever to get if you customize anything. 

They are great to work with.  Gamed an Exotics for awhile then gave it to my best friend. He loves it!

Had several conversations with Tour Edge staff and they were great to work with.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Big Tour Edge fairway wood fan.....highly recommend

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

The fairway wood shot is an especially important part of the game to seniors, and that includes me.  

My stronger lofted fairway wood is pretty new.

Strong lofted fairway woods are always a challenge, and in my bag, are subject to more experimentation than more lofted ones..  

I landed on a Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero because it had a flatter lie angle than the others, including other Mavrik variants, and felt really-confidence inspiring at address.  The tech is great too, but the look and feel at address is what sold me.  It hits pretty  long for something with me on the grip end.   

[Unfortunately, the model just recently went out of production, but there are plenty around.  You just can't order them customized anymore.] 

It's labeled as a 5-wood, but it's 18º and I wouldn't be going any stronger than that from the fairway.

In contrast, my Top Flite metalwoods are possibly old enough to vote. Their exact age escapes me at the moment, but they've been around.  I have absolutely no reason to replace them, however.  The 21º is labeled 5 also, but might be considered a 7-wood today.  The 25º is stamped as a 7-wood.  They're good at coping with divots and other sketchy lies, too, but you can't really keep them down in the wind.  If you should come across one in an odd club bin somewhere, it will probably cost next to nothing and might be worth trying out.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I am tempted to go down this road as well. Don't get my wrong, i like my Super Hybrid, but i think i can add something a little longer (4w or 3HL) and then loft up my Super to 19 deg as a pseudo 5w.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 8/23/2021 at 5:42 PM, ChuckZ said:

Great idea, but I am one in favor of going to a shop that specializes in fittings.  In particular where they are experienced and are certified.  My fitter has 30 years experience and is certified with all the major brands.  This ensures that I get the right shaft and head.  Hitting a number of different clubs is great, but the shaft is the driving force.  You have to get on TrackMan.  Those numbers mean a lot.  Personally I love the new TSi fairways.  I am hitting my Titleist TSi2 16.5* farther and more accurately that my previous 917F 15*.  Just my two cents worth.  It has the POW and WOW factors.  If PGA Stores will let you hit a number of different shafts and use their Trackman then go for it.  The course I play at does fittings for one brand only and not one I play. 

I 100% agree and would have gone in to get fitted for it, but the main problem was I have almost 400 bucks in pro shop money at my course, and my home course is a very small municipal one that doesn't ever get reps or fitters or even demo clubs (head pro issue), but the head pro can order me anything, so I wanted to get a "fitting" without paying essentially. The TSi is a beast I agree, the only reason I didn't go with it was the TSi2 looked odd to me at address, but I couldn't hit the TSi3 quite as well as the G425LST. Every time I went into the store I did ask them for a different shaft in each club I tried just so I could get a feel for them all, and because between just Ping and Titliest I think there was something like 7-8 "stock" options, so when I tried out a bunch of brands, it took me a while.

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2021 at 3:41 AM, Zebhead47 said:

I purchased a Tour Edge 5 wood for some reason and started hitting it and found it great. Hit out of fairway bunkers, not a problem. Less than great lie, not a problem. Was playing Titleist off the tee and strong 3, but liked the Tour Edge 5 so much that I got the C721 in a strong 3, added an inch to stock shaft length and absolutely love this club. I use this club off the tee a lot and only lose 5-10 yards, but routinely find the fairway and believe it or not usually hit the ball off the deck on the tee instead of putting a tee under it. I know Tour Edge is not on everyone’s top of mind, but take a look as you try things out. They are making some very nice clubs now and you can usually get a club customized directly from them in 3-4 days and their price is right compared to big names which take forever to get if you customize anything. 

Just got the TE C721 3Wood Strong, and its been hit and missed, the head is a little bigger than my previous 3 wood, but I think the issue was the grip that stock grip was too thin and no feel, just put in my regular CP2 Grip on it will test it out this weekend and see if that improves the consistency .

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag