Need a new fairway wood

NotBrian

The fairway wood shot is an especially important part of the game to seniors, and that includes me.  

My stronger lofted fairway wood is pretty new.

Strong lofted fairway woods are always a challenge, and in my bag, are subject to more experimentation than more lofted ones..  

I landed on a Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero because it had a flatter lie angle than the others, including other Mavrik variants, and felt really-confidence inspiring at address.  The tech is great too, but the look and feel at address is what sold me.  It hits pretty  long for something with me on the grip end.   

[Unfortunately, the model just recently went out of production, but there are plenty around.  You just can't order them customized anymore.] 

It's labeled as a 5-wood, but it's 18º and I wouldn't be going any stronger than that from the fairway.

In contrast, my Top Flite metalwoods are possibly old enough to vote. Their exact age escapes me at the moment, but they've been around.  I have absolutely no reason to replace them, however.  The 21º is labeled 5 also, but might be considered a 7-wood today.  The 25º is stamped as a 7-wood.  They're good at coping with divots and other sketchy lies, too, but you can't really keep them down in the wind.  If you should come across one in an odd club bin somewhere, it will probably cost next to nothing and might be worth trying out.

• Like 1

I am tempted to go down this road as well. Don't get my wrong, i like my Super Hybrid, but i think i can add something a little longer (4w or 3HL) and then loft up my Super to 19 deg as a pseudo 5w.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S (Testing Ventus Velocore Black 6x 44.5")

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 8s Hyb)

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (Winter ball :titelist-small: proV1 )

On 8/23/2021 at 5:42 PM, ChuckZ said:

Great idea, but I am one in favor of going to a shop that specializes in fittings.  In particular where they are experienced and are certified.  My fitter has 30 years experience and is certified with all the major brands.  This ensures that I get the right shaft and head.  Hitting a number of different clubs is great, but the shaft is the driving force.  You have to get on TrackMan.  Those numbers mean a lot.  Personally I love the new TSi fairways.  I am hitting my Titleist TSi2 16.5* farther and more accurately that my previous 917F 15*.  Just my two cents worth.  It has the POW and WOW factors.  If PGA Stores will let you hit a number of different shafts and use their Trackman then go for it.  The course I play at does fittings for one brand only and not one I play. 

I 100% agree and would have gone in to get fitted for it, but the main problem was I have almost 400 bucks in pro shop money at my course, and my home course is a very small municipal one that doesn't ever get reps or fitters or even demo clubs (head pro issue), but the head pro can order me anything, so I wanted to get a "fitting" without paying essentially. The TSi is a beast I agree, the only reason I didn't go with it was the TSi2 looked odd to me at address, but I couldn't hit the TSi3 quite as well as the G425LST. Every time I went into the store I did ask them for a different shaft in each club I tried just so I could get a feel for them all, and because between just Ping and Titliest I think there was something like 7-8 "stock" options, so when I tried out a bunch of brands, it took me a while.

Driver: Taylormade Sim (Handcrafted Hzrdus Yellow 63g 6.5 flex)

Fairway: Mizuno ST200ts 15* (Tensei Blue X Flex) (Needs to be replaced)

Utility: Sub 70 699u 17* 2 iron (Proforce V2 S Flex) / Sub 70 699u Pro 19.5* 3 iron (Hzrdus Smoke 6.0)

Irons: Mizuno MP 25 4-PW (Project X S Flex)

Wedges: 50* & 54* Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 58* Cobra Snakebite Versatile Grind/60* PM Grind Callaway

Putter: Tommy Armour Habanero

Ball: Titleist Pro V1/Pro V1x

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2021 at 3:41 AM, Zebhead47 said:

I purchased a Tour Edge 5 wood for some reason and started hitting it and found it great. Hit out of fairway bunkers, not a problem. Less than great lie, not a problem. Was playing Titleist off the tee and strong 3, but liked the Tour Edge 5 so much that I got the C721 in a strong 3, added an inch to stock shaft length and absolutely love this club. I use this club off the tee a lot and only lose 5-10 yards, but routinely find the fairway and believe it or not usually hit the ball off the deck on the tee instead of putting a tee under it. I know Tour Edge is not on everyone’s top of mind, but take a look as you try things out. They are making some very nice clubs now and you can usually get a club customized directly from them in 3-4 days and their price is right compared to big names which take forever to get if you customize anything. 

Just got the TE C721 3Wood Strong, and its been hit and missed, the head is a little bigger than my previous 3 wood, but I think the issue was the grip that stock grip was too thin and no feel, just put in my regular CP2 Grip on it will test it out this weekend and see if that improves the consistency .

Driver:  TourEdge Exotic Pro 9.5 with  NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff
3 -Wood: TourEdge Exotic C721 13.5 with Hrdz RDX Blue Stiff
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 5-PW , w/SteelFiber i125
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - 52 ,56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34in
BallsTaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-
GPS:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch