Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping G30 Build

Hey Spies! I built myself a nice little home shop (I’ll do a little thread on that later) and decided to take the next step in building a driver. Found a pristine G30 LST head for cheap and I had an old Rogue Silver laying around so I said, “Why not?” So the Rogue Silver had a Wilson tip on it that I had to remove. Without a shaft puller, this was a nightmare.  I tried some methods from a few online videos and nothing worked. So unfortunately after an hour of working on it, the tip broke🤬🤬🙄🙄. Luckily the Wilson adapter didn’t have much of the shaft in it. Does anyone know how to remove an adapter without a puller or am I better off taking the next one to a shop?

So I got the tip all fixed up (guess I’m playing it tipped about 1 3/4”😳) and it will be shorter than normal (about 44 3/4) which I might not hate, but my major issue is that it came out to a swing weight of like C4. To put that in perspective my Old Biocell+ was about D4 and my Cortex is about D7. The weight in the head was 10g, so I bought a 20g off of eBay and I’m hoping it will come out in the D0-C9 range. I’ll add some more to this thread as I get more in! Any feedback would be great!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

It is always neat to learn "by do" however it can be costly as you just found out. 

I would suggest attending a school at golfworks that fits your needs. Money well spent! and you get access to tool so you can make your next purchase an informed one. 

its a win win for a someone the has been bitten by the bug it would seem. 😀

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

19 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

Hey Spies! I built myself a nice little home shop (I’ll do a little thread on that later) and decided to take the next step in building a driver. Found a pristine G30 LST head for cheap and I had an old Rogue Silver laying around so I said, “Why not?” So the Rogue Silver had a Wilson tip on it that I had to remove. Without a shaft puller, this was a nightmare.  I tried some methods from a few online videos and nothing worked. So unfortunately after an hour of working on it, the tip broke🤬🤬🙄🙄. Luckily the Wilson adapter didn’t have much of the shaft in it. Does anyone know how to remove an adapter without a puller or am I better off taking the next one to a shop?

So I got the tip all fixed up (guess I’m playing it tipped about 1 3/4”😳) and it will be shorter than normal (about 44 3/4) which I might not hate, but my major issue is that it came out to a swing weight of like C4. To put that in perspective my Old Biocell+ was about D4 and my Cortex is about D7. The weight in the head was 10g, so I bought a 20g off of eBay and I’m hoping it will come out in the D0-C9 range. I’ll add some more to this thread as I get more in! Any feedback would be great!

Always use a shaft puller with graphite shafts.

Also, when you say you got the tip fixed, are you saying that the tip broke off the shaft and then you cleaned it up by cutting from the remaining shaft?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

7 hours ago, McGolf said:

It is always neat to learn "by do" however it can be costly as you just found out. 

I would suggest attending a school at golfworks that fits your needs. Money well spent! and you get access to tool so you can make your next purchase an informed one. 

its a win win for a someone the has been bitten by the bug it would seem. 😀

This was my first time working with graphite and pulling a head. I’ve built a couple of wedges in the past. I actually watch a ton of your videos and they are very helpful! Quick question while I have your attention: do I need to use glass shafting beads with a new adapter? I know I need them with the steel, but I haven’t seen you use them in an adapter. Thanks!

6 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Always use a shaft puller with graphite shafts.

Also, when you say you got the tip fixed, are you saying that the tip broke off the shaft and then you cleaned it up by cutting from the remaining shaft?

Yeah I think I learned my lesson here. So yes the tip broke in the old adapter. I was able to cut it, trim off the stray fibers and prep the tip for the new adapter. It was already tipped 1” and is it will be tipped about 1 3/4.” Hopefully it’s not too stout!

At least you were smart enough to be experimenting with expendable parts.  The only method/trick I've found for removing an adapter from a graphite shaft is get a shaft puller or take it to a pro.  All of the DIY methods you see online for shaft removal seem doomed to end in disaster. 

56 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

Yeah I think I learned my lesson here. So yes the tip broke in the old adapter. I was able to cut it, trim off the stray fibers and prep the tip for the new adapter. It was already tipped 1” and is it will be tipped about 1 3/4.” Hopefully it’s not too stout!

Generally, if you break the shaft, you shouldn't reuse it, even if it looks clean after removing the stray fibers. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Generally, if you break the shaft, you shouldn't reuse it, even if it looks clean after removing the stray fibers. 

Thanks! I’ll give it a try. Not much to lose at this point!

On 8/5/2021 at 9:52 PM, Rtracymog said:

This was my first time working with graphite and pulling a head. I’ve built a couple of wedges in the past. I actually watch a ton of your videos and they are very helpful! Quick question while I have your attention: do I need to use glass shafting beads with a new adapter? I know I need them with the steel, but I haven’t seen you use them in an adapter. Thanks!

I try to use shafting beads in all the builds. yes

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.