Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver help

Hello All, 

I am new to the board and was wondering if I could get an opinion.  I am looking into getting a new (used) driver and I am on a budget (would love the M2 but it’s still a little pricy).  I’m looking at the R11 or M1 2016. 

Any opinions on performance?  I know the R11 is older but is it good on forgiveness and distance or should I go with the M1? 

Thanks so much! 

7 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

What price are you getting those two models at? 
I am assuming you're shopping online and are unable to try them out side by side?

Hi Kurt - Correct - I actually jumped on the opportunity and grabbed the M1 in good condition (100% playable and a couple cosmetic blemishes) and with promotions got it for about $10-15 more then if I got the R11.  

I didn’t want to pass it up just seeing reviews on how the M1 is a good driver.  I just need the tool but saw Amazon has them for like $10-15

what's your price range?

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
2 hours ago, KurtActual said:

If you're local, I have extra tools. Just about every driver comes with one, and as far as I know theyre all the same.

Thank you!! I live in New Jersey - I was hoping it would come with one but since it’s used the description said no (though I have seen in the past that they are included sometimes even if they say no). 

1 hour ago, PBH3 said:

what's your price range?

I was trying to stay in the $150 range - I always had hand me downs and this summer I found a set of 2019 M2 irons new that I told myself just to buy and then drivers are just way out of my price range - so I was fine with a used one and found the M1 for under $150 (with tax and shipping) and there was 1 left - couldn’t pass it up 

In the future you should keep your eyes on the buy/sell/trade forum here or the classifieds section of other popular golf forums.  You will find some crazy good deals when you cut out the middle man retailer and/or fees ebay charges when you buy used.  In the meantime, enjoy your new driver!

16 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

In the future you should keep your eyes on the buy/sell/trade forum here or the classifieds section of other popular golf forums.  You will find some crazy good deals when you cut out the middle man retailer and/or fees ebay charges when you buy used.  In the meantime, enjoy your new driver!

After I bought it I saw that on here!!  I kicked myself and will definitely be looking from now on.  

8 hours ago, NeverPar said:

Thank you!! I live in New Jersey - I was hoping it would come with one but since it’s used the description said no (though I have seen in the past that they are included sometimes even if they say no). 

If you need a tool, I will ship you one for free if you pay the shipping cost.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Personally I would avoid the M1 and hated it, when the ball came out the middle great but off centre it went nowhere, had the Jetspeed and R5/R7 previously and thought they were great clubs. Replaced the M1 with the original Epic which is more forgiving in my view. 

Be careful on shaft also, I suspect if you're starting out you'll not want some exotic X-Stiff shaft, you'll probably better getting a mainstream regular shaft.

The tools are exactly the same head, and should be set at the same torque.

Enjoy your golf

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

11 hours ago, GaDawg said:

If you need a tool, I will ship you one for free if you pay the shipping cost.

Thank you!  Would it be okay to message you after I get the club to see if one came with it?  If not, I would appreciate it and definitely take you up on your offer. 

2 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Personally I would avoid the M1 and hated it, when the ball came out the middle great but off centre it went nowhere, had the Jetspeed and R5/R7 previously and thought they were great clubs. Replaced the M1 with the original Epic which is more forgiving in my view. 

Be careful on shaft also, I suspect if you're starting out you'll not want some exotic X-Stiff shaft, you'll probably better getting a mainstream regular shaft.

The tools are exactly the same head, and should be set at the same torque.

Enjoy your golf

Thanks Alf!  I wound up pulling the trigger as it was the only one left and got it for cheaper.  I did hear some people mention what you said and it has caused me some concern but I figure I’ll try it and if needed I’ll send it back. 

I made sure to get a regular shaft - I have been playing for years but don’t go out too often and know I’m not that good.  My swing speed isn’t as fast to warrant a stiff so I would rather get the regular for my game - one day I’ll get to the stiff shaft level! 

Enjoy the courses!